Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle3
DOCX to epub no pictures

Hi - I discovered the qualities of the docx to epub conversion. It is quite good but I must be doing something wrong, the pictures are "lost in translation"...

Please help

Thanks

Last edited by Bigo2; 07-04-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Bigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bigo2 - If you mean pictures are getting resized then I'm pretty sure that's an issue with Word - Google for something like "Word Resizes Images"

IIRC there are different solutions for different editions of Office.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Bigo2
Zealot
Bigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchforkBigo2 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Bigo2 - If you mean pictures are getting resized then I'm pretty sure that's an issue with Word - Google for something like "Word Resizes Images"

IIRC there are different solutions for different editions of Office.

BR
Sorry, I should have explained it better:

I have a book, which I edited using Word 2010, saved as docx, and then I convert it in Calibre to epub or azw3 etc. It works great, however for some reason all pictures (jpg) present in the docx file (e.g. I have a book cover as the page 1) are lost in conversion. Not resized, just gone.

I used to save the same word file as html filtered and then I used to open it in Sigil and saved it as epub – no picture was lost…

So, the question is: Am I doing something wrong or simply the Calibre does not include (remove) pictures in the docx –> epub/mobi/azw3 conversion?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigo2 View Post
Sorry, I should have explained it better:

I have a book, which I edited using Word 2010, saved as docx, and then I convert it in Calibre to epub or azw3 etc. It works great, however for some reason all pictures (jpg) present in the docx file (e.g. I have a book cover as the page 1) are lost in conversion. Not resized, just gone.

I used to save the same word file as html filtered and then I used to open it in Sigil and saved it as epub – no picture was lost…

So, the question is: Am I doing something wrong or simply the Calibre does not include (remove) pictures in the docx –> epub/mobi/azw3 conversion?
@Bigo2 - Working OK here with Word 2007. Didn't do anything fancy, dropped a jpeg onto a page and and inserted a jpeg into another page. Big images are resized but that's OK by me.

I looked at the EPUB/AZW3 in the calibre viewer, the calibre editor and sigil (epub only) show the images as expected. Also sideloaded the EPUB onto my android tablet, its okay there too.

I can zip it up & post here if you like - its just a test document.

BR
Old 07-05-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your images are probably linked rather than embedded in the docx. Or they are ina format other than jpg/png.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:
@Bigo2 - Working OK here with Word 2007. Didn't do anything fancy, dropped a jpeg onto a page and and inserted a jpeg into another page. Big images are resized but that's OK by me.

I looked at the EPUB/AZW3 in the calibre viewer, the calibre editor and sigil (epub only) show the images as expected. Also sideloaded the EPUB onto my android tablet, its okay there too.

I can zip it up & post here if you like - its just a test document.

BR
OK BetterRed - it means my conversion setting is somewhat wrong...
Also, I've found that when the pictures in my docx file are png, then the docx conversts OK. So the problem is the jpg pictures.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #7
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Your images are probably linked rather than embedded in the docx. Or they are ina format other than jpg/png.
Hi Kovidgoyal - that's the correct answer to my problem – the linked images!

Since for my docx -> azw3 testing I used my html file which I saved in word as docx (as I've explained, I used to edit a file in word, saved it as html filtered and then I used to open it in Sigil and saved it as epub), the images must have been still linked.
When I replaced them with png (I saved the jpg images from the docx file to a new folder and converted them to png in ACDSee), they were not linked anymore and so they converted properly.
Now I replaced png again with the jpg form that folder, so again they became part of the docx file, not linked, and so the conversion was OK again!

Thanks kovidgoyal for help and for everything else, including nice Calibre docx converter.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

irrelevant now
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Bigo2
Zealot

Quote:
irrelevant now
Thanks BetterRed

Regards

Bigo2
Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
Bigo2
Zealot

Linked Images Fix

I know that in the html files the images are linked, however, I did not know that they are still there even when the html file is saved as docx.

Here is the fix: In Word 2010 there is this “Edit Links to Files” command which can be added to the ribbon. When you click it, there is this Break Link feature and that does exactly what it says. Sometimes I am using it, however this time I just did not realize...