Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Luminose
Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luminose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not sure about Paperwhite vs Glow, need advice.

Right now I'm torn between the Paperwhite and the glow. So far everything I've read to is the Nook software is better but the Kindle screen will be much nicer.

I like the nook because of the expandable storage and the fact that it handles side loading and book covers much better than the Kindle. Will I really be missing out on screen quality? Also, the physical buttons are a major plus. I've already heard of fingerprint issues on the Paperwhite screen.
Luminose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
nandini
Enthusiast
nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nandini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T2, Note II
See reviews on youtube for both. And then you will be in a much better position to decide if screen is the issue.
And, for features you will get sufficient replies from the members to decide.
nandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Check a few of your favorite books on amazon.com and bn.com - I find that Kindle prices are sometimes lower, sometimes the same, but never higher.

Also, if you want to borrow library ebooks, with the Nook, you have to connect it to your computer to transfer books, while kindle books can be sent to your device without the need of a computer.

Both devices have their advantages and disadvantage apart from the ecosystem: The Paperwhite has a better screen resolution and is being reported to have better contrast, but is lacking the hardware buttons and sd card slot that the Glow has.

And, it may be interesting to know that Kindle users typically love Amazon customer services, not sure about BN.

Just some food for thought....

Last edited by xendula; 10-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Also, if you want to borrow library ebooks, with the Nook, you have to connect it to your computer to transfer books, while kindle books can be sent to your device without the need of a computer.
Some publishers are requiring that Kindle library books must be downloaded and transfered to the device with usb. Don't have any idea what that is supposed to accomplish.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
Some publishers are requiring that Kindle library books must be downloaded and transfered to the device with usb. Don't have any idea what that is supposed to accomplish.
True, though that's the minority. I only had to do this once and having to connect the reader to my laptop was such a hassle to me! I can't believe how many people willingly go with an eader that forces them to do this for every single book they purchase.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskazimm View Post
"Friction".
It is too easy (according to the publishers) to borrow library ebooks.
Both in the US and the UK publishers have mentioned plans to restrict to downloading of library ebooks to people who are in the library building.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you love that SD card, stick with the Nook. While the lighting IS better on the PW than the Nook, it's not so much better that I would do without the SD card. As far as the text, the Nook still wins, in my opinion, because of the choices of fonts and sizes but overall, it is still better than the Kindle Touch. The text has more contrast than earlier models, which helps. You lose some of that contrast when you turn on the light - not an issue for many.

I bought this PW for my Mom. I have a reading light and really have no need for the glow. My Mom, on the other hand, doesn't have very good lighting and doesn't want a reading lamp (just a table lamp), so I got her a PW. If I had known that B&N was going to drop their price to $119, I would have bought that instead because I prefer to side load onto the card. Fortunately, most of my B&N purchases have no DRM (or easily removed), so that I can put it on her Kindle (I have 2 kindles and a Nook).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I switched to a Paperwhite from a NSTWGL. I don't regret it in the least. If you'll be reading a significant amount in the sunlight, are really averse to Amazon, feel you need physical buttons, or really think you'll definitely need the SD card, you should go with the Glow. \

Otherwise, personally, I'd go with the Paperwhite. The screen quality when lit is considerably better, in my opinion.

ETA: Also, I prefer the Nook's handling of PDFs (pulling the text out and flowing it). Amazon just has you zoom in. Although you can do two-finger gestures to make this easier, it doesn't compare to reflowing the text.

I prefer Kindles's highlighting and looking up words, along with its automatic justification of books.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
It also should be noted that the PW is subsidized with advertisement that most may not mind or care about. I however have the Kindle KB, Sony PRS-505, PRS-900, and the nook glow. I just purchased the glow when it was on sale last week at target and have not used it yet. I say sale because the price at Target is back to the $139 price. THe glow is still in the box as I have not had a chance to play with it yet. I much prefer devices that support the universal standard which is epub. So the books that are on my Sony can be used on the glow with converting. I can also take the same SD card from my Sony and insert into the glow and then read my books without jumping through hoops. Having said that I still love the kindle as it has a certain convenience with the 3G capability and downloading books anywhere and at anytime. This is not a huge advantage since I use a mobile hot spot. Obviously Amazon has the better echo system, although I am not impacted so much by the echo system, but I can see why it is so important. At times it can be difficult to put a finger on. Kinda like the Android vs. iOS. I use both OS devices and they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I still find myself using the iOS devices more then the Android devices. just like I use my Kindle more then my sonys at this time. Although I still believe that the PRS-505 is one of the best ereaders ever made. It was just ahead of it's time (IMO). It's kinda weird but if you can play with the readers side by side maybe the choice would be much easier to make.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Well if the Paperwite is as good or better than Kobo Glo then the Nook Glowlight is in for a hard time. Check out this comparison between it and the Kobo Glo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1kin1xQEM
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
True, though that's the minority. I only had to do this once and having to connect the reader to my laptop was such a hassle to me! I can't believe how many people willingly go with an eader that forces them to do this for every single book they purchase.
I don't know if your experience is widely shared or not, but I've never had a problem with connecting any of my Kindles, including my new Paperwhite, to my PC. It's always been a simple matter of plug and play. Since it arrived, I've downloaded two books from Amazon and side-loaded one from our MobileRead library with no difficulties.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
xendula
eBookworm

WT Sharpe, I meant that for me, it is a hassle to have to find, get and turn on my computer, wait for it to start up, find a cable, connect the device, transfer the content, unplug the cable, store away the cable, turn off the computer, store away the computer. I use my iPad for any surfing/emailing, so never have my laptop running or out, but indeed, maybe some don't mind. However, these are still extra steps.

That said, I now have 3 defective or subpar Paperwhites, so I would at this point caution the OP against the PW, given the high return rate.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

Dockeedog, you may want to try out that Nook Glow, since if you read the reveiws for them on BN.com, there are quite a few people who needed replacements to their new units. The good thing is that you got it at Target, so at least you have a 90 day return window for it, unless they changed that.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I recently read that Target and Walmart are no longer going to sell the Kindle Fire because they do not want to help Amazon steal business from them - i.e. they see the Kindle tablets as devices that help Amazon sell the same type of stuff that Target and Walmart sell. I wonder if this applies to the Kindle eink readers too. If they have a browser, it probably does.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I recently read that Target and Walmart are no longer going to sell the Kindle Fire because they do not want to help Amazon steal business from them - i.e. they see the Kindle tablets as devices that help Amazon sell the same type of stuff that Target and Walmart sell. I wonder if this applies to the Kindle eink readers too. If they have a browser, it probably does.
Yes, they discontinued them already. Target also stopped selling Kobos is now setting up a Nook display area like they did for Apple.

Last edited by xendula; 10-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.