Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Is the Kobo Vox worth the purchase?

Looking for an E-Reader and narrowed it down between Kobo Vox and Lenovo IdeaPad A1. Like the apps on the Kobe Vox and the fact its Canadian (more convenient). But after reading all the negative comments I'm wondering if its worth it. Does anyone have anything positive to say?
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I love my Vox, but i can't with good conscience recommend it to anyone. And looking at the small difference in price, you'd be better off spending more and saving yourself the possibility of trouble with the Vox.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Smile

Thanks. Looked great on the You Tube Reviews.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
If you can wait, there are going to be some better android tablet choices coming out this year. Asus, archos and certainly others...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
perfectly happy with my vox, would buy another today if I needed another

definitely recommend it, works without issues
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
Looking for an E-Reader and narrowed it down between Kobo Vox and Lenovo IdeaPad A1. Like the apps on the Kobe Vox and the fact its Canadian (more convenient). But after reading all the negative comments I'm wondering if its worth it. Does anyone have anything positive to say?
If you want a great ereader that does other stuff like browse the web, plays videos, plays games, the Vox is pretty darn good. If you want an internet tablet that you'll use to read books, there are better choices for sure. Too many of us want our Vox to be the everything toy that it wasn't meant to be and that's why we're sometimes disappointed. I'm betting that the happy campers are the ones who bought the Vox ereader and the sad sacks are the ones who bought the Vox tablet.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Totally agree with Wilbirch. Use my vox for reading,buying books,managing my libary online and offline. I also use it for surfing.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
This last update appears to have fixed my troublesome issues. So I'm pretty happy with it now like I was when I first purchased it.

My one frustration now is that starting/closing web pages is a bit slow. I've been advised to try Opera so I'll load that on today and play with it.

That said I'm keeping watch for a dual CPU tablet with Bluetooth in the next number of months. Now I don't need such a toy. "I just wants it"
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
But after reading all the negative comments I'm wondering if its worth it. Does anyone have anything positive to say?
You're bound to see all the complaints about the Vox on a forum like this. Where else would you post if you had a problem? OTOH, if everything was okay, would you even bother to tell the world about it on the Internet? Personally, I have not experienced most of the problems reported here. Nor have any of my friends that own a Kobo Vox. There have been a few posts that the Vox is not the greatest "tablet", but then if you're into tablets and not really into reading books, maybe you don't want a Vox. To me, the Vox is an eReader with "benefits".
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Go for the A1. Its only bad point is the viewing angle, but it's otherwise probably the best Android 2.3 tablet you'll get for $199. It's only 200MHz faster than the Vox, but feels a LOT more responsive (if the display models of the Vox in FutureShop & Best Buy are any indication). And has twice the onboard storage and native access to the Android Market, of course.

My brother's in the Canadian navy and got his A1 after his office determined that it was the best Android tablet in its price range (wish I could remember what he said the other contenders were :/). He's had it for a couple of months now and his only complaint is that, for some reason, the Skype app doesn't want to install properly...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
insync44

Unhappy

I purchased the A1 today and returned it after a few hours. Its great as a Tablet, but the lack of proper instructions drove me crazy. Basically I was looking for an EReader that also has some other playthings. After a couple of hours trying to figure out how to transfer my epubs to the unit I gave up. I couldn't get it out of "sleep" mode and, although it was supposedly 16GB, it only appeared to have 2GB available. Packed it up and returned it.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Pullar
Pullar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
My wife loved her vox up until the last update, when they added the recommended for you list. Like me with my touch neither of us like this feature. We live very close to a U.S. border and really were debating between the colour kindle and nook but settled on the vox. If the recommended list was there when we were purchasing the choice would have been different. As it is I am refusing to buy books from them and our next ereader will not be a Kobo of any type. It's too bad really as we liked our units, payed full price for one without advertising, and now have it forced on us. So I would not recomend the vox or touch. Books and readers can be easily bought in the U.S. without this annoying feature.
Pullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
I purchased the A1 today and returned it after a few hours. Its great as a Tablet, but the lack of proper instructions drove me crazy. Basically I was looking for an EReader that also has some other playthings. After a couple of hours trying to figure out how to transfer my epubs to the unit I gave up. I couldn't get it out of "sleep" mode and, although it was supposedly 16GB, it only appeared to have 2GB available. Packed it up and returned it.
Dunno about the sleep issue, but you'll find that same storage problem with pretty much all tablets: only a certain amount of the listed storage is ever available for installing apps.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
The Vox is great for reading and the screen works brilliantly. I find it readable under massive glare conditions even at the min brightness. That great screen also applies to videos too

My amount of reading has shot up since getting it.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #15
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
I love my vox and would recommend it. I purchased it as a reader first & foremost. I am looking forward to the eventual full access to the Android market, however, I have been able to find all the apps I have looked for. Not a single negative to report, which is why i,like others, haven't said anything. My reading has increased
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote