Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Balmer; "New Tablet coming as soon as we can."

they admit they dropped the ball on it but want to stay in the game.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in that line
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
\/\/hatever...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Exactly! That's kind of like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted and half way to Timbuktu!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Microsoft has dropped the ball a number of times in recent memory. They just about missed the Internet explosion, Windows Phone 7 should have been out at least a year ago, more than that really. And the less said about the Kin fiasco the better.

Come on Balmer, get your !@#$%! together.

That said, I'd love to see a Windows 7 (or Win Phone 7) tablet with a streamlined touch interface and a long battery life.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I have an inside contact at Microsoft and am assured that the phone will be out this fall ;o)
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm thinking that Microsoft needs a spin-off hardware brand that is hipper and doesn't carry all the baggage that the name "Microsoft" does.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm thinking that Microsoft needs a spin-off hardware brand that is hipper and doesn't carry all the baggage that the name "Microsoft" does.
that's just it. traditionally Microsoft doesn't DO hardware. I'm not sure what baggage the name carries
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Big corporations like Microsoft (and even Apple) get bogged down in the company structure. Look at Media center, that could be a world beater, but it's an just an ok addition to Windows. They barely acknowledge internet tv.(I'm not even going to mention Apple). Innovation is glacial, and the same thing is happening with Windows Mobile. They're a year too late, should have been leading the pack.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that's just it. traditionally Microsoft doesn't DO hardware. I'm not sure what baggage the name carries
Their mice and keyboards have always been pretty nice. Plus the Zune, Zune HD, Xbox, Xbox360, Kin...they've been pretty active hardware-wise for years.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
MS will probably do just fine. They don't always drop the ball, and can occasionally put a serious dent in the competition (*cough* xbox *cough*).

They just have to put out a version of Win7 that works on tablets, and let HP/Dell/Acer etc take care of the rest. If they don't hurry up, Android or WebOS tablets will make it much harder for MS to make an entry.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Win7 works fine on tablets (w/ an active digitizer / stylus) --- what it needs is an interface option suited to fingertip use.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Their mice and keyboards have always been pretty nice. Plus the Zune, Zune HD, Xbox, Xbox360, Kin...they've been pretty active hardware-wise for years.
Note: Traditionally. I am on my third Zune, and when I used a regular desktop computer I used the mice and keyboards
Old 07-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
As for Microsoft coming out with a Tablet, I believe it when I see it. I'm looking at the current market with indignation, lots of talk and very little concrete devices. The only one who's been selling any bigger volumes is Apple with its iPad. Even if Microsoft manage to get something on the table there's the much awaited Adam with a preliminary U.S release in November. I doubt if Microsoft manage to get something out before November.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For as I am concerned all of the Apple users can kiss God Jobs all you like. If the ipad, ipod, and the iphone were the only thing available I would prefer to do without.
I am not say that I would buy a MS tablet either. But what I am looking for is a device that I can have my choice of OS and not be stuck with only on. And I can not believe that anyone would except a device with out USB ports and sd or microsd ports.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Um, the 360 was a spectacular hardware cockup. A set aside a billion dollars to cope with it type of cockup. Didn't exactly give them a good rep for hardware.
Google red ring of death, or RROD.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote