Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
calibre crashes when scanning and adding books

im a new user. Calibre scans and adds books but at some point around 50 percent it simply stops working. I have win 7 64 bit and my ebooks are in a folder (30gb). The whole process takes 24 hours as well. but it crashes at 50 percent at 12 hours. I have tried two or three times. any thoughts?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
im a new user. Calibre scans and adds books but at some point around 50 percent it simply stops working. I have win 7 64 bit and my ebooks are in a folder (30gb). The whole process takes 24 hours as well. but it crashes at 50 percent at 12 hours. I have tried two or three times. any thoughts?
Try it in smaller batches? It could be a single bad book, or you may be running into a limit of some sort.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

that seems like a lot of work. is there a log I can trouble shoot the problem somewhere?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

What happened when your first 2-3 imports crashed? Did you get any books into the library? Where did it end/crash? Take a look at the time of the directory creation and the book id numbers in the library to find the last books successfully processed into the db.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
oncdoc
Addict

when it crashed , it crashed. just stopped responding.

my ebook folder has some audio books in it... can that cause crashing when scanning and adding books?

SOme books do get into the library and then crash happens.
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had the same problem with no audio books.
I have gone back a version now which seems slower and hoping that will work
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have had the same problem with no audio books.
I have gone back a version now which seems slower and hoping that will work
I've heard of pdf books having bad internal metadata causing calibre to hang during import. You can try turning on "read metadata only from filename" and/or turning off the pdf internal metadata reader plugin. In the end, it's probably going to be a book or another file that's causing the problem. I added over 11,000 books the first time I began moving my library over, and they all went clean and no trouble, other than taking 24 hours. Most were .txt, .rtf or .lit format I didn't have many .pdf's in my first load from my library.

It's not that hard to add half your books in one shot. If that fails, try the other half. If both fail, try adding half of one half, etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Thanks Starson17
I am in the process in a slightly different way.
I am adding by format. lrf,lit, etc. Just getting to the pdfs. Probably should have tried them first but didn't see your post early enough.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Thanks Starson17
I am in the process in a slightly different way.
I am adding by format. lrf,lit, etc. Just getting to the pdfs. Probably should have tried them first but didn't see your post early enough.
Helen
If you have multiple formats of the same book, You may want to turn on the option "If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically," on Prefs|Add/Save. With this on, the same books, but different format will automatically be added to the existing record you created when you added the first format for that book. Otherwise, you will end up with two records.