Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #31
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Ciao Luigi,
yeah, waiting is the hardest part ...
The device from Astak is of no interest to me, as I am from Europe.
Still, out of curiosity, has Robert already made an announcement what is to expect from Astak in the coming months?
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
Looking at the specs of the device (A9), it makes me think that is just what I need.
But the somewhat low price make me apprehensive that the quality of the components is sacrificed.
A large fraction of the hardware costs are the e-paper screen, so the relatively low cost is presumably from SiPix being cheaper than EInk. Jinke's designs have not been cutting edge, but the component and build quality of the existing V3 and V5 is very good.

One issue for the A9 will be the potential for broken screens, because they are using a glass substrate. This can be mitigated by a good case design. We don't yet know how susceptible to breaking these new screens will be.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #33
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A large fraction of the hardware costs are the e-paper screen, so the relatively low cost is presumably from SiPix being cheaper than EInk. Jinke's designs have not been cutting edge, but the component and build quality of the existing V3 and V5 is very good.

One issue for the A9 will be the potential for broken screens, because they are using a glass substrate. This can be mitigated by a good case design. We don't yet know how susceptible to breaking these new screens will be.
I thought the SiPix screens were flexible plastic? Their website says it is plastic and the mobileread wiki says 2cm bending radius.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I thought the SiPix screens were flexible plastic? Their website says it is plastic and the mobileread wiki says 2cm bending radius.
The Microcup film is definitely plastic, and their web site does say: "The electronic paper is laminated on a rigid or flexible matrix-patterned backplane". So the backplane might be plastic. If so, this is another plus for SiPix.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #35
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:

thanks for clarification.

Quote:
The Microcup film is definitely plastic, and their web site does say: "The electronic paper is laminated on a rigid or flexible matrix-patterned backplane". So the backplane might be plastic. If so, this is another plus for SiPix.
This is all very confusing.
The Lbook's owner said that "no one has plastic so far".
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #36
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Anyway, whatever the product is, I believe every product has his risk to break so we have still to pay an eye on them, so they will work also properly as they have to..

Actually there are three items that could interest me: Hanlin A9, QUEPro Reader, the future Astak's 9" inch based on A9's product...and iPad if it could be better...
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #37
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
This is all very confusing.
The Lbook's owner said that "no one has plastic so far".
Most backplanes are glass, and if I had to bet I would say that SiPix is using a glass backplane. In any case, breakage rates are not going to be known until there are SiPix-based devices out there for a while.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #38
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The current implementation from AUO uses a glass backplane. This includes the Jinke devices and all the others I saw at CES 2010. I think it may be related to the touch screen implementation. AUO says they will have a plastic backplane in the 2nd half of 2010 but PVI has been promising this for two years and are also now claiming delivery in 2nd half of 2010. It would seem to be a more difficult problem that we thought.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 AM   #39
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I recently bought a HanLin A9 direct from Jinke in China. The first one they sent had a faulty USB port, I sent it back and was promptly sent a brand new replacement.

Device ships with a January 2011 firmware which is quite buggy. I was advised to update to the new May 2011 firmware. This is done using an SD card and took a couple of tries before finding that the card must be less than or equal to 2GB, and not a fast SD card such as used in digital cameras.

With the new firmware in place it is a very friendly reader. The file managment is simple and allows subdirectories. Page-turn by button or touch. The large screen is wonderful, especially for pdfs, which can be loaded and read staright from the Internet archive, for example.
PDF layout controls are good, but could be improved. DjVu rendering is superb.
Screenfonts for epubs could be a little sharper, have not yet tested embedded fonts.
It has wifi for email and RSS only, but I haven't tested these.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote