Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
Science pdf reading

I have DR and im trying to find out, how to read science pdf where all written in columns. I have iliad and im using some ipdf readers like column wise. Just wanna know if there is something like that in DR
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What is the problem? Is the font too small when the DR1000 displays both columns side-by-side?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
spaetz
Enthusiast
spaetz began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92, formerly iRex DR1000 (broke just as they went bankrupt)
I bought the DR1000 just because I want to be able to read multi-column science pdf papers (which are often scanned images of the journal page). I find that the screen of the DR1000 is big enough to display them nicely.

The 6" screen were way too small and panning way too slow to make that feasible. THis won't help you with an 8" screen though, and I don't know of any applications that will help you with that. Let us know if you know some.
spaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
good enough for reading, not so much for writing

I find that the size is good enough for reading A4 or letter sized journal articles (science articles). I often crop the page margings to get best readability.

I have a hard time writing comments, though. The pen just isn't exact enough, especially at the edges, which is where I try to write the comments...
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I have a hard time writing comments, though. The pen just isn't exact enough, especially at the edges, which is where I try to write the comments...
The "Annotate PDF" function in Xournal makes writing at the edges much easier. For some reason the calibration is extremely good in Xournal. The "Print PDF" function produces a PDF with the scribbles very readable as it retains the pen thickness used in annotating the PDF. It is not a direct substitute for the UDS, however.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
The DR screen size is approximately a letter/A4 page folded in half along the longer edge (actually, its a bit wider). If you do this with a sheet of paper and place it on a two-column scientific paper, you'll see that it *almost* covers the written area, so it is actually pretty good You may need to use "region zoom" to zoom into only the written area for maximum font size.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Generally, as Grimulkan says, I use the zoom function and pan to read 2 column text. However, if it is problematic in portrait mode, try landscape. It works very well.
H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
However, if it is problematic in portrait mode, try landscape. It works very well.
This has been the key for me as well. In the option menu for the document, try the following two tweaks togeter:
  1. General -> Rotate
  2. Tools -> Zooming -> Page Flow

This has worked so effectively and consistently for me that I've put the two icons on my shortcut bar and removed the zoom tools I was using. One of the journals I read formats its content with three columns per page, and this solves the problem nicely.

Last edited by Danny Fekete; 10-24-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote