Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Hein
Hein began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
CHM to sony prs-505

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution for this problem for a couple of day's now. I probably am missing somthing.

I'm trying to convert a chm file to any filetype for the prs-505 (no pdf). I allready decompiled the file using hh -decompile. So now I have a file called toc.html, backcover.html and DDU0001.html through DDU0110.html and a folder with images gif an jpeg and to css files ie.content.books24x7.css, xpolecat.css.

From here I don't know how to proceed. Everything I could find on the web say I should use html2lrf or html2epub but as far as I understand these doesn't excist in the current version of caliber and I should use ebook-convert.

When I try this on either the toc.html file alone or on a zip file of al the files I get an error:

File "parser.pxi", line 568, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src/lxml/lxml.etr
ee.c:56902)
lxml.etree.XMLSyntaxError: XML declaration allowed only at the start of the docu
ment, line 33, column 10

What am I doing wrong or is there a better way to convert chm books?

Gr Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error means that one of you files has an incorrect structure that calibre is choking on. In particular look for <?xml ...?> not at the start of the file and remove it.

The very poor quality of HTML in CHM file (seems to be a theme with Microsoft) is one reason calibre doesn not include direct support for CHM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Hein
Hein began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Thank you, I actualy just figured this one out. It took me 3 days and I'm really glad that its the right solution. I should listen more to what errors are saying it can help you ah lot .
I'm now running into an other problem. I have to say I didn't have time to really google it but if you have a quick awnser it woul be great. I have some text between <pre </pre> tags because this is preformatted caliber doesn't reflow or adjus the size of it. So it doesn't show compltley on my reader. Is there a way around this?

Thank you for your help

Gr Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just change the <pre> tags to <p>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote