Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I've heard the word buoy pronounced both ways (boo-ee and boi) here in America. And I really never hear anyone use the word quay. Tha word wharf is usually used instead.

On Dictionary.com there's a button you can click for the pronunciation of the word you look up. For buoy, it's pronounced both ways. For quay, it's pronounced kee.

Just as dreams said, the pronunciation of words varies greatly within the United States. In the Northeast, especially the Boston area, words ending in "R" sound very strange. You hardly hear the "R" pronounced at all. Car becomes cah with hardly, if any "R" sound. In the New York area, especially Brooklyn, The Bronx and Newark (NJ) the pronunciation of words seems totally butchered to me, as is often well portrayed in American movies depicting these areas.

I think that we, in general, have totally abandoned proper diction in the American (English) language. It doesn't seem to be stressed in the school system at all anymore. I remember that in California a few years back they were seriously considering implementing the acceptance and use of "ebonics" in the public schools. I'm sure that many of the students still use it, but at least it's not required that the teachers use it as originally proposed.

Also, MANY American athletes for instance, slur their words so badly that they all sound like Ozzy Osborn or worse when you hear them interviewed. Many of them just allow the end of each word to hang out there in space as if not a single word is completed. They hardly move their lips, and speech escapes as if it were one continuous monotonous mumble (which it often is.) I'm usually left thinking "What the heck did he just say?" 'cause I couldn't understand a single word. On the other hand, many other athletes enunciate quite well. (I just picked out athletes because they're so plentiful and interviewed constantly.)

As an aside, I just love listening to someone with what we call an "English Accent." Even street thugs sound refined.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
isn't worcestershire pronounced something like "wooster" ? (and people complain about all the extra letters you don't actually pronounce in french words ! )
Worcester is certainly pronouced Wooster or I always have.
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
isn't worcestershire pronounced something like "wooster" ? (and people complain about all the extra letters you don't actually pronounce in french words ! )
I always thought it was "worshishter"
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey y'all, I just noticed something. Wooster and Narritch and Glosster and so on are Old England place names. Did we corrupt the pronounciation on purpose back in the colonial days?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Don't forget that it's not just pronunciation diiferences, there are also differences in spelling between American and British English, e.g. color/colour, favor/favour (which have no pronunciation differences) and aluminum/aluminium (which does also change the pronunciation).

I think that there are some very real differences. I remember reading somewhere that one day British and American English would be so different that people from the two countries would no longer be able to converse comfortably. However, I think that that prediction was made in a time prior to the communication age we live in nowadays - I doubt it could happen now.
Do not doubt. Some years ago in the Boston area, I called for room service at the hotel. After 15 minutes of non-communication with a local person I decided to walk across the street to a Burger king.

We were both, supossedly, speaking American English.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In an American audiobook I'm currently listening to, I've come across two VERY odd (odd to me, at least) pronounciations:

1. The word "buoy" - ie a floating marker at sea - which the reader pronounced "boo-ee". In British English the word is pronounced the same as the word "boy".

2. The word "quay", which the reader pronounced "kway". Again, in British English it's pronounced "key".

Are these really the "normal" American English ways of saying these words? I've never come across this before.
Not that I've ever known. They've always been 'boy' and 'key' to me.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Can't really help on the issue at hand, since I'm neither an American nor English. But I have to join DixieGal in asking Ricky what's the story behind shopping for skulls .
Do you, like, go to the store to order a skull and they tell you that, no sorry, we don't have any today but tomorrow we are getting a new shipment....
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #23
goodellboy
goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
Pronunciation.
goodellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hey y'all, I just noticed something. Wooster and Narritch and Glosster and so on are Old England place names. Did we corrupt the pronounciation on purpose back in the colonial days?
You did lots of things in those days .....

It's always been boy & kee to me....

It's an interesting subject Harry, and is likely to play havoc with careful crafting of rhyming poetry ...

It is also not just a Brit/US curse, but also a north/south England one -
knowing how to say cup and butter correctly, for instance, in our household is an occasional source of mirth..... (I'm always right - of course)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Can't really help on the issue at hand, since I'm neither an American nor English. But I have to join DixieGal in asking Ricky what's the story behind shopping for skulls .
Do you, like, go to the store to order a skull and they tell you that, no sorry, we don't have any today but tomorrow we are getting a new shipment....
And do you order them by weight or gross?
And has the store gone green and only sells shrunken heads now? (Less Packaging!)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #26
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And has the store gone green and only sells shrunken heads now? (Less Packaging!)

do they come in pairs ?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
"ultra concentrated" ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
GeoffC

Quote:
"ultra concentrated" ?

'dessicated'?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellboy View Post
Pronunciation.
Thanks! I put that the first time, but it looked funny, so I changed it. Along with all the other things my mind is losing, spelling seems to be something that went first.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #30
GeoffC

sorry, back on topic now ....