Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
holding the kindle..

Hi, i have a kindle 2, i like to hold it with out the amazon leather case due to less weight. BUT I find the back metal finish slippery. why did they have to do this? any work around?

also how do you hold and read ur kindle.

i like to read in bed, but am frustrated with the slippery feel.

oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You can buy a skin (basically just a sticker) and put that on your Kindle 2; that might help.

But honestly, it's not that slippery. I would be annoyed if it were a sticky rubber back.

Best way to hold the Kindle 2:

1. Hold your hand palm up, open, fingers together, at a 45 degree angle.
2. Slide hand under the botom corner of the Kidle 2, along the back, until the corner butts into your palm or bottom of your thumb.
3. Rotate thumb over the side of the Kindle to rest on top, at the bottom inside corner of the Next Page button.
4. Curl hand and fingers for tighter grip as needed.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
the skins cover the back of the device, and reduce slipperiness. i have the m-edge platform cover, so am not really sure how much the slipperiness is reduced by a skin.

my platform cover has a fake-suede fabric liner that the device doesn't slip on *at all*. you could also just get some kind of non-slip underlay for the device. it'd be another 'thing', which could be annoying, but could save your kindle from sliding to its death like a wet bar of soap.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
There are silicone skins see accessories. I have one and it has grip, the back is no longer a problem.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Thumbs down which silicone grip u got

I keep dropping my kindle. the darn metal finish
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I have a rubber/latex kind of cover for mine, it helps keep a grip easy. There are a number of cases for sale on Amazon, check them out.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Like Sirbruce, I also bought some of the rubber skin that help me prevent the reader from clipping in my hand. I would hold it just like any hand held device over my palm in between my thumb and other 4 fingers but i hold it lying on my side.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
I keep dropping my kindle. the darn metal finish
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44770
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is exactly how I do it
and to think I was being original

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Best way to hold the Kindle 2:

1. Hold your hand palm up, open, fingers together, at a 45 degree angle.
2. Slide hand under the botom corner of the Kidle 2, along the back, until the corner butts into your palm or bottom of your thumb.
3. Rotate thumb over the side of the Kindle to rest on top, at the bottom inside corner of the Next Page button.
4. Curl hand and fingers for tighter grip as needed.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, can I just derail this thread a bit and say that I don't believe it's *really* a metal back? It's a plastic that's finished to make it look and feel metallic. Maybe the plastic even has metal particles in its matrix but it's not a metal back.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Slow_hand
Groupie

It starts with a caress of it's rounded shoulders, then a light touch across the keyboard, suddenly I am holding it in my arms and I realize that this is a love that will last the ages...
Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Also, can I just derail this thread a bit and say that I don't believe it's *really* a metal back? It's a plastic that's finished to make it look and feel metallic. Maybe the plastic even has metal particles in its matrix but it's not a metal back.
Looks like the back is metal... aluminum according to one of the sites where it was deconstructed. That would account for why it's cold.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

I've read that, but I'm still not convinced.