Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Are you referring to the Vote? That is actually a list of books that were nominated but came in second place rather than a list of books that have won the vote.

Books that have been nominated before but didn't win are still eligable for nomination. Any books that have won the vote before are not.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #62
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
I'll nominate Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley:

Quote:
Frankenstein, an instant bestseller and an important ancestor of both the horror and science fiction genres, not only tells a terrifying story, but also raises profound, disturbing questions about the very nature of life and the place of humankind within the cosmos: What does it mean to be human? What responsibilities do we have to each other? How far can we go in tampering with Nature? In our age, filled with news of organ donation genetic engineering, and bio-terrorism, these questions are more relevant than ever.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #63
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you referring to the Vote? That is actually a list of books that were nominated but came in second place rather than a list of books that have won the vote.

Books that have been nominated before but didn't win are still eligable for nomination. Any books that have won the vote before are not.

BOb
No where in the thread does it state that these books were nominated but came in second place. I just assumed that these books won.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
No where in the thread does it state that these books were nominated but came in second place. I just assumed that these books won.
Your right.. my bad. I thought it was the second chance poll. I looked at it too quickly.

BOb
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #65
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I propose

Flatland: a romance of many dimensions by Edwin Abbott

It is an 1884 satirical novella by the English schoolmaster Edwin Abbott Abbott. Writing pseudonymously as "a square", Abbott used the fictional two-dimensional world of Flatland to offer pointed observations on the social hierarchy of Victorian culture. However, the novella's more enduring contribution is its examination of dimensions; in a foreword to one of the many publications of the novella, noted science writer Isaac Asimov described Flatland as "The best introduction one can find into the manner of perceiving dimensions." As such, the novella is still popular amongst mathematics, physics, and computer science students.

Several films have been made from the story, including a feature film in 2007 called Flatland. Other efforts have been short or experimental films, including one narrated by Dudley Moore and a short film with Martin Sheen titled Flatland: The Movie.

Not copyrighted in the United States. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/97

We have it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15729
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #66
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Welcome to MR...

Please read the first post in this thread by Pilotbob... He explains how the nominations work... Books, which have been nominated 3 times, go in for voting... Then it gets exciting.

Thanks for the welcome.

I had read the original post and never meant to imply that anything had been decided. It just seemed like a good time to jump in.

Either way, I look forward to the excitement of the voting and reading whatever gets chosen.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I had read the original post and never meant to imply that anything had been decided. It just seemed like a good time to jump in.

Either way, I look forward to the excitement of the voting and reading whatever gets chosen.
No worries...we're happy to have your input. As you say, jump in any time the waters fine.

BOb
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #68
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Your right.. my bad. I thought it was the second chance poll. I looked at it too quickly.

BOb
No problem. Here is this year so far:

The Machine Stops- Jan 2010
Gone with the Wind - Feb 2010
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? - Mar 2010 (Tie)
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America - Mar 2010 (Tie)
The Egg and I - Apr 2010

P.S. I would like to a category for Pulitzer Prize winning novels. Preferably one month for winners in the public domain and another month for winners not in the public domain. I have noticed that most of the winners so far (with a few exceptions)have been available for free. Not that I can blame anyone but I do think price has a big influence on the winners.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #69
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'd like to nominate William Makepeace Thackeray's - "The Luck of Barry Lyndon".

From amazon.com
"The novel concerns the life and times of the title character and narrator, a roguish Irishman. The fast-flowing satirical narrative reveals a man dedicated to success and good fortune."

The novel was made into a well-known film by Stanley Kubrick.

Madam Broshkina has provided versions here.

I second that, I always meant to read it.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #70
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
I'll second The Woman in White.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow. Just ran across this site.

The Art of Manliness 100 must read classics! Yes! MANLY Classics. This will get that left-over taste of estrogen from Romance book month out of our mouths. Real Manly Books, no girly stuff here!
Even they think The Hobbit is a classic. So, I'll nominate The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Quote:
Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit who wanted to be left alone in quiet comfort. But the wizard Gandalf came along with a band of homeless dwarves. Soon Bilbo was drawn into their quest, facing evil orcs, savage wolves, giant spiders, and worse, unknown dangers. Finally, it was Bilbo -- alone and unaided -- who had to confront the great dragon Smaug, the terror of an entire countryside...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
My mother read it and didn't care for it.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid it doesn't qualify, Kenny. We agreed that a "classic" had to be a book that was in the US public domain - published before 1923.
Actually, WE did not agree that it has to be a US public domain book. I know I never agreed. I wanted a modern classic like The Hobbit (for example).
Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #74
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I'll third The Woman in White.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #75
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, WE did not agree that it has to be a US public domain book. I know I never agreed. I wanted a modern classic like The Hobbit (for example).
Jon... you never agree with anybody though.

The Hobbit is certainly not out of copyright. It was published in 1966 and renewed in 1994 which means it remains in copyright in the US until 2061.

Rather than argue about if a book is a "modern classic" we are going with the simple definition that I posted in the OP. It makes things a might easier. I'm sure you for one can appreciate clear cut rules.

BOb