Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
Exclamation UNABLE TO UPLOAD Validated epub File to Amazon

I have completed my ebook file and ran FlightCheck. Only 2 errors. Fixed, then ran again. Says no errors!

So I then try to upload the epub file to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing platform. I get the error message:

Attention
We couldn't convert your EPUB file to Kindle format. Please make sure your EPUB file is properly structured. If the problem persists, try uploading your book in a different format. Refer to our formatting guide for more information.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks in advance.
www.PatriceWilliamsMarks.com
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
I have completed my ebook file and ran FlightCheck. Only 2 errors. Fixed, then ran again. Says no errors!
FlightCrew lied. Or, more precisely, it most likely didn't find all errors. Have your book validated by epubcheck online.
In the unlikely case that epubcheck also cannot find any errors, download Kindle Previewer, open your .epub file with it and post the error log. (Click Compilation Details to display the log.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
mibtp
Enthusiast

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually considered epubcheck, but it seemed too complicated.

But I did download the previewer and saw an error log:

======
Error(opfparser):E20006: There are more than one title defined in OPF metadata. But none of them is refined with "title-type" as "main" title. Refer http://idpf.org/epub/30/spec/epub30-...ec-opf-dctitle for more info.
=======

I followed the steps when adding the title (according to Sigil instructions) but apparently there is still issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
FlightCrew lied. Or, more precisely, it most likely didn't find all errors. Have your book validated by epubcheck online.
In the unlikely case that epubcheck also cannot find any errors, download Kindle Previewer, open your .epub file with it and post the error log. (Click Compilation Details to display the log.)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It seems that epubcheck seems to think you have created an ePUB3 instead of an ePUB2. Can you post your OPF file?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually considered epubcheck, but it seemed too complicated.
Installing and running the epubcheck Java app might be a bit tricky, but using the online version couldn't be any easier. All you have to do is select your epub file. I strongly recommend that you have your .epub file checked by epubcheck, because Kindle Previewer might not display all relevant error messages either.

Quote:
I followed the steps when adding the title (according to Sigil instructions) but apparently there is still issues.
Without seeing the actual <metadata> section in the .opf file, it's hard to tell what the issue is. Did you create/modify the .opf file outside of Sigil?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Flight crew only does a basic check. It won't find links that don't match, or duplicate names, etc like epubcheck. They are right about the online version. If you can upload to mobileread, you can upload your file to epubcheck.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
mibtp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It seems that epubcheck seems to think you have created an ePUB3 instead of an ePUB2. Can you post your OPF file?
Sure. This is the Content.opf file:
-----

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookId" version="2.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlnspf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:b5a4a041-e99e-4317-824f-9821387783fb</dc:identifier>
<dc:title>Hacking Kickstarter, Indiegogo: How To Raise Big Bucks In 30 Days</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="Williams Marks, Patrice" opf:role="aut">Patrice Williams Marks</dc:creator>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:title>How To Raise Big Bucks in 30 Days</dc:title>
<dc:date opf:event="modification">2013-04-25</dc:date>
<meta content="Kickstarter_-_final.jpg" name="cover" />
<meta content="0.7.2" name="Sigil version" />
</metadata>
<manifest>
<item href="toc.ncx" id="ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0020.html" id="Section0020.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/kickstarter-chart.png" id="kickstarter-chart.png" media-type="image/png" />
<item href="Images/Kickstarter%20-%20final.jpg" id="Kickstarter_-_final.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<item href="Text/cover.xhtml" id="cover.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Kickstarter-6x9-NEW1.html" id="Kickstarter-6x9-NEW1.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0001.html" id="Section0001.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0002.html" id="Section0002.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0004.html" id="Section0004.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0005.html" id="Section0005.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0006.html" id="Section0006.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0007.html" id="Section0007.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0008.html" id="Section0008.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0009.html" id="Section0009.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0010.html" id="Section0010.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0011.html" id="Section0011.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0012.html" id="Section0012.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0013.html" id="Section0013.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0014.html" id="Section0014.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0015.html" id="Section0015.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0016.html" id="Section0016.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0017.html" id="Section0017.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0018.html" id="Section0018.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Text/Section0019.html" id="Section0019.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
<item href="Images/flatecover.jpg" id="flatecover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
<itemref idref="cover.xhtml" />
<itemref idref="Kickstarter-6x9-NEW1.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0001.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0002.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0004.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0005.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0006.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0007.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0008.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0009.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0010.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0011.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0012.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0013.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0014.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0015.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0016.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0017.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0018.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0019.html" />
<itemref idref="Section0020.html" />
</spine>
<guide>
<reference href="Text/cover.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />
</guide>
</package>
Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
mibtp
Enthusiast

I see that the title was mentioned twice. So I removed the second reference to title under language tag. Now it uploaded just fine.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
mibtp
Enthusiast

PS Now i see the table of contents does not show. Another thing to look into.....
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Actually epubcheck uses version="..." from content.opf/package.opf to determine what version to check for.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
PS Now i see the table of contents does not show. Another thing to look into.....
Have you generated the TOC?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
mibtp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you generated the TOC?
Yes, that's why I was surprised it wasn't showing up. Figured out I also had to generate the HTML TOC page as well. Now it's fine.

Thanks for responding.
www.PatriceWilliamsMarks.com
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
This thread confirms my choice: epub > kindlegen > mobi > kdp instead of epub > kdp. I have seen so many times people recommend epub > kdp that I was wondering if I was doing unecessary extra work. It makes sense to check Kindlegen messages before uploading.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
This thread confirms my choice: epub > kindlegen > mobi > kdp instead of epub > kdp. I have seen so many times people recommend epub > kdp that I was wondering if I was doing unecessary extra work. It makes sense to check Kindlegen messages before uploading.
Absolutely. (unless you habitually "feel lucky.")
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have found that Flight Crew overlooks empty hyperlinks, and that many of my e-books contain two or three of these. As I recall, they look something like this: <a href="whatever"></a>. I have no idea where these come from, but they suffice to kick out an error in epubcheck (though not in Flight Crew) and to cause the epub to be rejected on the KDP and on the iBookstore. So I always run the file through epubcheck after making my peace with Flight Crew.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, error messages, kindle direct publishing