Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Question wonder if sony going to can ebook business

I am wondering if sony is going to stops its ebook reader business after the announcement today. it does seem to me that this product does not fall into line with the strategy announced today. the continued delay of the UK sony book store also makes me suspicious - it really cannot take that long to launch it.

it would be a pity as I am enjoying the T1 but sony is just so far behind amazon and even kobo that it would not be surprised if they throw in the towel.

I would be interested in what you think.

thomas

link to article about sony strategy - take the time to read the full press release as it is more interesting than the article.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/k...-00/#continued

thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I was wondering that myself.

It definitely doesn't look like a "core business" if you go to www.sony.co.uk and drop down the "Products" tab. Readers are all on their own...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Given Sony's dire situation, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they leave the e-reader business. Despite being the first major company to introduce an e-ink device and an innovator in several areas (e.g. touch technology, front lighting), Sony doesn't seem to be able to get any traction against the Amazon Kindle.

It would be a great shame if this were to happen, since this would leave Kobo as the only e-reader device available internationally which supports open standards. As a Canadian, I'd be happy to see Kobo gain market share, but personally I find the Kobo Touch to be much inferior to my PRS-T1, at least for the features that I'm interested in.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing Kobo has got right which Sony definitely has not, is their desktop software. Syncing a Kobo is really easy and I haven't seen it go wrong yet with my daughter's Kobo.

Perhaps the rumoured B&N tie up with Waterstones in the UK will give Kobo a decent competitor here.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not another new deal from Sony... I mean canned eReaders... it's more than enough trouble getting through all their usual packaging without having to open a can as well...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Perhaps the rumoured B&N tie up with Waterstones in the UK will give Kobo a decent competitor here.
Don't quite understand? You mean B&N would bring in the Nook, so Waterstones would be selling both? Or do you think they'd only sell the Nook and leave the Kobo to the likes of Asda?
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
More details on Sony's plans from NY Times:

Quote:
Promising change and announcing a string of goals, Sony’s chief executive, Kazuo Hirai, laid out a revival plan for the struggling electronics and entertainment company, including a focus away from its unprofitable television business and a plan to cut 10,000 jobs ....

To rebuild Sony’s electronics business, Mr. Hirai said he would concentrate on three main businesses: mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets; cameras and camcorders; and games.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/13/bu...e-company.html

I'm hoping e-ink ereaders are included in "mobile devices," but that may be too much to hope for.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
One thing Kobo has got right which Sony definitely has not, is their desktop software. Syncing a Kobo is really easy and I haven't seen it go wrong yet with my daughter's Kobo.
No doubt about it; the Sony desktop software sucks. (I never use it and rely on Calibre instead.)

On the other hand, I rarely need to synchronize with my PC anyway. I can check out library books directly to my PRS-T1 via wi-fi; as far as I know, only the Kindle has similar functionality (and only in the USA). Using the web browser, I can also download EPUBs and PDFs from the Sony Reader store, the Kobo store, ManyBooks, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, etc. In the rare cases where the downloads fail, I can save the files to the Dropbox folder on my PC and then load them into my Sony using the Dropbox mobile web site.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Well maybe we will be ok. The reader store seems to have gone live today in uk.
Still not sure what sony review will mean for new ereader models etc
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Oooh, thanks for this. Maybe a good sign for the longevity of the Reader?
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post
No doubt about it; the Sony desktop software sucks. (I never use it and rely on Calibre instead.)

On the other hand, I rarely need to synchronize with my PC anyway. I can check out library books directly to my PRS-T1 via wi-fi; as far as I know, only the Kindle has similar functionality (and only in the USA). Using the web browser, I can also download EPUBs and PDFs from the Sony Reader store, the Kobo store, ManyBooks, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, etc. In the rare cases where the downloads fail, I can save the files to the Dropbox folder on my PC and then load them into my Sony using the Dropbox mobile web site.
What would happen if your Sony died - would you be able to redownload all those books again from all those sites? I would not like my T1 having the only copy of my books.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
As long as you have your account info at the various online book retailers, you should just be able to redownload your past purchases. Wherever I've purchased books from, I've noticed that I still had the option to do that, or to download different formats of the same book.

But to make things easier for myself, I always have a copy on my PC as well, and I backup the full drive every few months by cloning it for safety, so I usually have at least 3 copies to get anything back much quicker.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Ooh, well spotted about the reader store!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
First I've heard of it but yes I just checked and you are right store is up.

I really think Sony will probably keep the ereaders going apart from video games it's about the only thing they still do well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
That's great news for people in the UK! Thanks for sharing.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote