Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
kindle best practices for managing ebooks from various sources

I have a 'Kindle Keyboard'. I have finally recovered my library from the Sony ebook store (worth about 300 EUR), I have deDRMed them and I am using Calibre to update my Kindle with my books. I have now books purchased from the Sony ebook store and from amazon. Now the question is what are the best practices for managing these ebooks? Should I deDRM all of my ebooks, turn amazon synchronization off and handle all of the ebooks via Calibre? I am not using wireless much anyway. I can buy new books from amazon via my computer and manually synchronize them. What is the best option?
Thanks!
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. Doing it all via Calibre would be my strong suggestion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
I have books from multiple sources, and I have a Kindle and a Sony Reader. I use Caibre to keep things organized. I let Amazon books synch to my Kindle, but I also deDRM them and keep them in Calibre, so I can put them on the Sony or any reader. Whispersynch is just so convenient to use, I leave it on.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyogi2 View Post
I have books from multiple sources, and I have a Kindle and a Sony Reader. I use Caibre to keep things organized. I let Amazon books synch to my Kindle, but I also deDRM them and keep them in Calibre, so I can put them on the Sony or any reader. Whispersynch is just so convenient to use, I leave it on.
Having Calibre load your books, and using Whispersync are not incompatible. Content loaded by Calibre will still synch just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
personally I purchase from 4 or 5 sources, and I too use Calibre to sync all books to my various devices. I do not use any other source to load my devices. Although I keep copies of all of my original files from the various sources, it is only the Calibre created books which I keep on my devices. I was never one that was big on dedrming books but after loosing access to books from sources that no longer offer mobi support, I have adopted the practice to ensure I always have access to my books in the future when I upgrade my devices.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use Calibre to catalog all of my ebooks. For me it is a must, especially since I have multiple ebook readers.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If you want best practices, then a third step would involve backing up your Calibre directory with Dropbox. Since you have multiple sources, including some DRM sources, your library is literally irreplaceable unless you want to repurchase it all. If your home catches on fire, you could loose your computer, your ereader, and your books if you don't use Dropbox.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Eliasoz
Eliasoz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm very confused as to the purpose of Calibre for sync-ing and stuff. Why not just copy/paste the books to your Kindle through USB?
Eliasoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasoz View Post
I'm very confused as to the purpose of Calibre for sync-ing and stuff. Why not just copy/paste the books to your Kindle through USB?
Calibre offers lots of nice features. You can change book titles. You can categorize by series' names. You can tag your books. You can add book ratings. You can add your own personalized fields. You can convert formats. There are dozens of plug-ins that add additional fuctionality (One I use adds my ebooks titles to my Goodreads account.) The possibilities are endless.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliasoz View Post
It's a lot nicer to work from a database, even if all you are doing is transferring books. You can see what is already on your device, you can fix titles or authors so they display the way you want on your Kindle (ie. very handy for series), you can have calibre manage your collections instead of moving books manually on your Kindle. There are lots of cool things you can do with calibre.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
As it comes highly recommended, I too suggest using Calibre. It's been probably one of the more useful programs I've used in a long while.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use Calibre as well to keep track of everything. I buy ebooks from all over so I even have custom fields telling which store its from and if it was free or paid. I don't use Calibre to transfer books to my Kindle though. I use the Save To Disk feature usually save it to my dropbox.

When I want to add books to my Kindle I use the Send To Kindle program that uploads them directly to Amazon's server before that I emailed them but the new program works much better and faster.

All books added that way are add to your personal documents cloud and you can synch everything just fine.

This works for K3.3, K4 and KT.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Calibre as well to keep track of everything. I buy ebooks from all over so I even have custom fields telling which store its from and if it was free or paid.
What a cool idea! (off to do the same thing...)
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Calibre as well to keep track of everything. I buy ebooks from all over so I even have custom fields telling which store its from and if it was free or paid.
Same here, not to mention it keeps track of my read status, series info and allows me to sync with my Goodreads account via a plugin. It has so much potential you could customize it meet practically every need that you have.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I also use Calibre for a few books and agree it's a very usefull piece of software, but, most frequently I just use the send to kindle email.

- I drop my O'Reilley books into Calibre and a few misc. sources (material I which to keep).

- For Fictionwise books I just use the send to kindle e-mail feature from the site itself.

- Books and my HBR subscription from amazon go the usual wifi route.

- Articles on the web also take the kindle email route via a Chrome extension.

- Work-documents and misc. also take the email route to the kindle.

- And also the amazon send to kindle windows software for items downloaded via the browser (typically read-once and discard material).
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote