Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
himitsu
himitsu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Another Failed Firmware update PRS-505

Well,

Like a bunch of folks I started the firmware update. The device rebooted itself and then hung on the "Starting up" message. I can't see it as a drive. When I look at the USBSpy. I can't see it on the USB bus. I'm now trying to fully discharge it to see if that helps. All I can make the device do is flash the screen a couple of times by hitting reset and then power-on x 10. When I do that the screen flashes multiple times the it goes back to the "Starting up" Screen.

I've tried the reset trick with Mark and Volume +.

Is there anything else left to do before I consign my device to Sony Repair?

Thanks in Advance,

John.
himitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Was it fully charged? If not, try charging from an AC charger completely.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
himitsu

I was going to complete discharge the battery and recharge it.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
lyonsce
lyonsce began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen
I had a similar problem and used the Universal Flasher on an SD card. Select the firmware update mode. This allowed me to reflash the firmware again and that worked. YMMV.

Chuck
lyonsce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
himitsu

Well I tried that. I made a Universal flasher SD but it wouldn't load it. So failing any other ideas. I guess it goes back to sony tomorrow. Is there some magic you need to do to get it to read the SD?

Thanks
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
SueK
Learner
SueK began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Another failed Firmware Update PRS505

Hi John,

Not sure if you're still around the forum, but I am having a somewaht similar problem to yours and I wondered if you found a solution. I did a post t Troubleshooting last week but haven't been able to find a solution as yet.

Regards

SueK
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
That's quite an old post/thread - I'll post some suggestions in your original thread...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
SueK
Learner
SueK began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Another Failed Firmware Update PRS505

Thanks
SueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
isaacv
isaacbvas
isaacv began at the beginning.

Device: PRC-505
I have exactly the same problem: Reader PRS-505 message "Firmware did not complete successfully", I tried to do hard reset, it doesn't work. Any ideas?
isaacv is offline   Reply With Quote