Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Anyone on a Raw Meat Diet?

Just had a look at this, because I saw a show on TV about it...

Apparently lots of people are eating raw meat all over the world...

Do you? Why?

You don't? Why not?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

Do you? Why?

You don't? Why not?
I have eaten a fair whack of raw meat, for culinary pleasure (eg. fish, shellfish, beef). I wouldn't make an exclusive practice of it, because I'm quite fond of things like the Maillard Reaction.

Was the show on the telly about exclusive diets of raw meat? It sounds interesting.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:

Do you? Why?

You don't? Why not?

We had friends who every Saturday evening used to go to an extremely elegant and pricey restaurant and eat Steak Tartare. When we were invited to join them, I declined.

Steak Tartare is raw mince, doused in various sauces, and then eaten.

I was too much of a coward to even try it.

Eventually both of them got worms (which is one reason why meat should be cooked). I felt so sorry for them.

The vet (sorry) doctor, strongly advised them never to eat any uncooked meat again.

This too shall pass (giggle).

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It stems from an idea that cooking destroys vital nutrients etc. It seems logical enough when one considers fruit/vegetables - but other than some fish (salmon) it seems a dodgy practice....
(unless one missed the small slug when one last washed the lettuce )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Vegeterian I am; those raw veggies just don't have a chance.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

You don't? Why not?
I don't. We've probably evolved to eat cooked food. And it tastes better.

http://blogs.plos.org/neuroanthropol...man-evolution/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Steak tartare is a classic brasserie food. The name comes from putting pieces of meat under the saddle to make it tender ... Mustard, lemon juice, a raw egg, raw onions, capers, ketchup, you name it you can have it.

Than we use thin slices of beef, but very thin, seasoned with oil and lemon juice and maybe accompanied by slivers of Parmesan. We call this carpaccio.

A fine piece of beef cut in tiny fragments with the knife and seasoned with oil, anchovies and raw garlic, salt and pepper. We call this albese. It is different from the tartare as the meat maintains its juices inside, while the tartare being machined, looses the juices somewhere.

The only meat that I do not like eating raw is chicken and poultry in general. I do not know why, but somehow I do not appreciate it. When I cook and there is a small piece of meat hanging around I usually eat it. Meat or fish is the same. Like I do with carrots, cauliflowers, leafs of spinach and Sacher's.

Less and less, though, as meat is becoming more a side dish for me in favor of the silent vegetables and those empty eyed fishes, that do not make themselves famous by their eloquence either.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I dont care much for it but I will eat it if it is prepared for me.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I have an unreasonable aversion to eating raw meat, even if I can be sure it doesn't harbor any hidden dangers. (And believe me, here? We have huge salmonella outbreaks even with cooked food these days, although to be fair they seem to be more associated with salad bars than with meat.) I want my meat cooked, though.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
After all the stories about 40m long worms you get from eating raw meat I think I'll pass. I also don;t like the taste, I don;t think the raw meat lies me either, so it's a mutual understanding
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Beppe, surely all that lemon juice and acidic items begin at least a little cooking chemically? A good overnight marinade in an acidic liquid breaks down the meat and will start to pre-cook it. I hope it is enough to keep you from getting sick.

As for me, I like to take that marinated meat and cook the heck out of it. No desire to try anything "iffy" at this point in my life. Vomiting is lots more fun when you are a drunken teen.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I usually have sushi at least once a week. I have a butcher here in town that only works with herds of under 100 and specializes in 4H project meat. he will not process animals in poor living conditions, that have been given steroids, chemicals and so on. in short, if he won't eat it, or give it to his kids, he won't process it. his wife and I have become quite friendly over the years, chatting while I place my order. she has often said that she snacks away on various bits of raw meat as she is processing foods. I order tartare quarterly as I have to get 25 pounds at a time as that is the only way they process it. it is taken from one of the best cuts of steak, so is quite spendy. it is not just plain old hamburger. if I could I would eat it much more frequently but it is too expensive. it is incredibly lean, extremely low in fat, and of course no additional oils are going into processing it for cooking. this is also grass fed beef, so additionally very healthy.

raw vegies and fruits are also supposed to be quite healthy as once again, no oils or fats are going into the process of cooking it. also all of the nutrients and vitamins haven't been cooked out. now having said that, there are some goodies that are activated by the cooking process. it is my understanding that actually digesting raw foods is a calorie challenge also; it takes more energy to process them, not to sure about that.

the next bit is grains, most, not all grains are difficult to consume in an uncooked form, so I'm not sure what to do about that. I love my breads and cheeses (both caloric cows) so that would be hard on me personally.

if you can be sure of the origin and condition of your meats, I don't know what harm it would cause. having said that, I will only eat beef, buffalo and some fish raw. the only pork I would consume raw is some of the smoked stuff and I don't know if that qualifies as raw. I won't touch poultry raw.

if you do this I'd be interested in knowing how it goes!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I learned about Trichinosis in school - sure cured me of any intention to eat raw/undercooked meat!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the primary reason for cooking meat is to kill the nasty bacteria that lurk therein. You're taking a big chance by eating raw meat.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
I learned about Trichinosis in school - sure cured me of any intention to eat raw/undercooked meat!
I believe that is unique to pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, the primary reason for cooking meat is to kill the nasty bacteria that lurk therein. You're taking a big chance by eating raw meat.
that is why knowing the source of your meat is so terribly important. going down to the local chain market is NOT a good source for raw meat. I would never eat anything raw that did not come from an independent butcher or fish processor, and then I would have to know that they are selling their own meat, not that they are the middle man
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote