Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Review: Waterstone's UK Customer Service

British members might find my experience with Waterstone's of interest, should their Sony Readers ever develop a fault.

I bought my PRS 505 last Christmas. Recently it suddenly developed a screen controller problem.

So I found the original packaging, located the credit-card statement showing the payment, and headed off this afternoon to Waterstone's in Cardiff, which was where I had bought it.

I was actually a bit nervous about this. Electronics stores are probably used to customers with faulty appliances. But Waterstone's, being a bookseller, probably isn't so experienced in this area. So I printed out a summary of the Sale of Goods Act (Revised), just in case.

Anyway, I needn't have worried. The sales assistant (a calm and efficient young man, called Chris), explained that the device was still covered by the Sony guarantee, as well as by UK consumer rights. After the first month (when faulty devices are exchanged) the procedure is to send faulty units off to Sony, who either replace or repair them. He offered me the choice of doing it myself, or letting the store do it. As the retailer is responsible, under UK consumer law, I opted for the latter. I'm not very trusting, so asked for a receipt, to prove that I had handed the device to Waterstone's, and they provided one without demur.

Apparently, it seems that, according to the store staff, I'll have to wait for two or three weeks, because Sony aren't very quick. But the experience went a lot more smoothly than I had feared.

I'll let people know how long it actually takes.

Meanwhile, I'm very glad that I didn't sell my old PRS 500, when I updated to the 505. It also seems unlikely that I'll have the 505 back in time for the Paris meet-up, which is a pity.
In fact, I've also been wondering whether to buy a spare 505 while they're still available, just in case. I don't like the 300 because the ergonomics aren't so good (for me); and I don't like touch-screens, so the 600 isn't for me either. Actually, I think Sony are a bit mad to discontinue the 505, which has a great screen and brilliant ergonomics.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm very glad to hear that waterstone's didn't give you any trouble ! please do let us know how long it takes to get your 505 back from sony. if you want another 505 as backup, they're still available here at the fnac (and maybe elsewhere... i could check) for increasingly low prices ; currently they are sold for 259€ but i've seen promos for 229€ and maybe lower, so you might get lucky. you could pick one up when you are in paris, and have the new one for the meetup.

or you could get an opus as backup. it won't read lrf but the epub support is very good, and it would make your bags a bit lighter when you're travelling.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Tracey
Connoisseur
Tracey is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Patricia,

John Lewis had them in stock last week at £149 for both red and silver. I also bought one for my partner for £149 from Play.com about three weeks ago.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Tracey
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To date, I have heard nothing from either Waterstone's or from Sony. I am now going to escalate this complaint, and will keep you all posted.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Gosh, Patricia, they're taking ages. I hope they'll get a move on.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
About 2 weeks after I first bought my 505, the power switch came loose. In the first instance I called Waterstones (a different branch from where I bought it but I was at work!) and they said to bring it in for replacement.

When I got to the store, I spoke to the same person I had on the phone. They then spoke to their manager asking for a replacement to be brought down to me. This is when the manager came up to me and told me that they couldn't replace it but would happily give me the number of Sony who I would need to deal with.

Remaining calm, I explained to them that I had bought the device from them, not Sony. I also told them that I wouldn't expect GAME to direct me to Microsoft 2 weeks after buying a faulty Xbox. Just because Waterstones primarily sold books didn't mean that they should have a different procedure - it was their responsibility to replace or repair.

The manager didn't really have much to say about that and went off and got me a replacement.

I was happy with what happened (getting the replacement), but the lack of knowledge on how to handle this did shock me!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
blaggard
blaggard began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I recently bought a 505 (my first) and had to call around 3 local stores, I was struck by how helpful and friendly everyone was, an example to others!
blaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader

Back to square one ...

Well, I sent an email to the manager of Waterstone's Cardiff branch.

The next day, I got a note in the post. It reads:

Quote:
We would like to inform you that we got in touch with Sony Central Service in relation to your e-Reader.
Apparently, they are asking for a Proof of Purchase in order to proceed with the repairs to the reader, otherwise, they say, they will charge you the amount of £53.05 for the fixings, plus the parts.
Thanks in advance,
Waterstone's Team
A couple of hours later, there was a knock at the door, and a courier delivered my Reader. This was a bit of a surprise.
The battery was completely flat, so I plugged it in.
It was returned unrepaired. So I'm back to square one; sitting at home with an unrepaired Reader.

I am really annoyed at this.
1. I HAD taken a proof of purchase with me to Waterstone's in September. The shop assistant had looked at it, and had ample opportunity to photocopy it.
2. No one at all communicated with me - not from Waterstones, nor Sony - to tell me what needed doing.
3. Then they returned the Reader quite unnecessarily. Why didn't they wait, and ask my intentions?
4. They have had the reader for two months. That's two months of the guarantee gone for nothing. And I've been deprived of the device, apparently because a shop assistant forgot to take a photocopy. And they haven't even apologised or offered to put matters right.

Now, I'm not sure what to do.
Under UK consumer law, my contract is with the retailer. But can I trust Waterstone's to meet their obligations? They certainly haven't so far.
So, should I try taking the device back to the Cardiff branch and make a fuss; or should I just go to the trouble and expense of packing it up and sending it to Sony myself, for a warranty claim?

By the way, does anyone know the email address of the Waterstone's UK CEO? I'm inclined to write and tell him/her what I think about their minimalist approach to communication and customer service.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Now, I'm not sure what to do.
Under UK consumer law, my contract is with the retailer. But can I trust Waterstone's to meet their obligations? They certainly haven't so far.
So, should I try taking the device back to the Cardiff branch and make a fuss; or should I just go to the trouble and expense of packing it up and sending it to Sony myself, for a warranty claim?
I would start by talking to the trading standards office covering Waterstones. I have found in the past a call from them reminding the retailer of their obligations generally brings rapid results.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
By the way, does anyone know the email address of the Waterstone's UK CEO? I'm inclined to write and tell him/her what I think about their minimalist approach to communication and customer service.
A web search for "gerry.johnson@waterstones.com" may help.

(Include the quotes.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
The problem sounds like it may be that the well-intentioned but naive sales assistant you returned it to failed to realize that someone in Sony's service department was going to need to see your proof of purchase. Since it was missing, I think I can understand Sony simply returning it, as awful as the result may be for you.

I don't know what you should do, Patricia, but if it was me I would worry that if I sent it directly to Sony, it might now be too late to get the repairs done for free for some unknown reason. And I would be letting Waterstone "off the hook" after they promised it would be done and for free. I would return it to Waterstone (looking specifically for Chris and his manager) and let them know how irritated I was and force them to take copies of all the available documentation (including anything referencing the return of the unserviced device) and ask them to be prompt about the repairs this time. Either that or I would bury it in the back yard and go find a doughnut.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh no !! that's just outrageous patricia, i'm so sorry they are giving you the run around like that. i think vivaldi is right, you should go back and make a fuss, with all the necessary paperwork. i can understand your reluctance, i hate having to do that myself and i try to avoid it if at all possible (which sometimes means giving myself the short end of my own stick) but in this case i think it's worth the trouble. and once they have fixed your sony and it is safely back with you, i think you should casually mention the name and address of the waterstone's employees who have been so unhelpful to you, while in conversation with adrian and / or the PNS.

i do hope you manage to get it worked out very soon and painlessly this time.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
A Nonny Mouse
Connoisseur
A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505
From my own personal experience of dealing with Waterstones' you are wasting your time dealing with them, they have no interest whatsoever in their customers.

I would make a formal complaint direct to the Trading Standards office covering the store you dealt with, quoting chapter and verse. Do not contact Sony direct as this will reduce your rights under the consumer laws in the UK.
A Nonny Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #14
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A web search for "gerry.johnson@waterstones.com" may help.

(Include the quotes.)
Now! that search produces some very interesting hits, particularly this one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...books.newmedia
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Patricia
Reader

Also this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...seller-website
(Waterstone's staff are now blocked from accessing the Bookseller site, after it published an unflattering story. It is the main trade journal for bookselers in the UK.)

The Cardiff branch of Waterstone's is also the one that cancelled an author's book signing because of protests by some Christian groups last year.
(There was no problem when the unfortunate author went on to do a reading at the Welsh Assembly.)
http://www.cinnamonpress.com/darkness/

Last edited by Patricia; 11-01-2009 at 09:33 AM.