Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Review of my PRS-600

Ok folks, here goes:

The PRS-600 is my first e-reader and actually the first one I have actually used. Well, I did look at a 500 once in an airport, but that was many moons ago. I ordered the Red model and it’s perfect (meaning the color). The reader feels great in my hands. I think that if it were any thinner, I wouldn’t like it. I have owned it for about 4-5 days (it’s all a blur I’ve been so giddy ).

Ok, now to specifics: To begin with, the screen is fabulous. I don’t know what people are talking about. There is going to be some glare at certain angles, but I just shift slightly and the glare is gone. I have read for a few consistent hours on it and my eyes were just fine. No fatigue. I will say this: I enjoy the reader more than a book. Weird, I know, but the reader seems to help me move quicker through the reading. Maybe it’s all in my head because you end up turning the page more when enlarging the fonts.
The font is great and I generally use the “L” setting while reading. I have used mostly PDF’s and have yet to buy anything in another format. It converts most of the PDF’s fine and they look very nice when the text is blown up. The letters are all crisp and clean and entirely readable. No complaints. My only issue has been some French language PDF’s I have loaded up and they came out all messed up. Not sure why. I have to see what is going on.

The page turning function is great. I have a tendency to use the buttons, but I also use my finger. Both work fabulously. I have everything on an SD card and the response is fast. I have no complaints. The screen is responsive and the menus easy to use and practical. I need to try something that is actually saved on the device itself. I will do that soon.

Ok, highlighting and notes. I have highlighted text and attempted to export said text to the RTF formatted document. Well, that doesn’t work apparently although the literature intimates that it is supposed to. Rather, it gives you like the first line of your highlighted text as a reference point and then you can type or hand write your own notes into a box. Given the fact that I have always had to type out my quotes in my papers, I’m not too disappointed. I am hoping someone can come up with a hack that will bypass this very problem in the future. For now, I am happy. The notes are stored in a list on your reader and you can look at them in the software on your comp as well as export them. You can jump from highlight to highlight with ease as well. Very nice function.

In terms of drawing or handwriting, the device is very responsive and almost keeps up with your hand. I have used the keyboard more times than just writing simply because I am an A type personality when it comes to that and I’m not one to want my scribbles everywhere . But, the notepad is great for lists and there is a blank page for drawing pictures or doing some free form brainstorming, etc. It’s a great tool for writers in all genres.

I have also received the red Sony cover for the device. It’s nice red leather and, while flexible, seems to get the job done of protecting the device. Also, if I were to set the device up on my shelf amongst my books, it would look like another book in this case. It’s rather appealing and nice looking. I will be posting some pictures of the device and the cover soon.

Please, ask any questions and I will see what I can answer .

Last edited by formerroadie; 09-02-2009 at 10:26 PM.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Great review!

Any chance you could upload a photo of the cover? Is it a bright red, dark red, does it match the reader? (I need to have things color-coordinated)

Where did you buy it from?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Great review!

Any chance you could upload a photo of the cover? Is it a bright red, dark red, does it match the reader? (I need to have things color-coordinated)

Where did you buy it from?
Thanks. I posted the images of the reader and cover above. I got it at Sonystyles.com

Here are images of the various fonts looking at the same page of a PDF. Again, like other photos, it was really difficult to replicate the clarity of the screen. This doesn't do it any justice but is just there for you see the font changes.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
formerroadie
Bada Bing

You last set of pictures:

My first notes file:

List of collections:

Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Thanks for the pictures. Does the cover fold back? The one that came with my PRS-505 did not fold back and it was irritating. I think it's due to the plastic snap in the middle, so I want to know if Sony at least add some extra leather for folding back.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Does the cover fold back? The one that came with my PRS-505 did not fold back and it was irritating. I think it's due to the plastic snap in the middle, so I want to know if Sony at least add some extra leather for folding back.
Edit: I take that back. Yes it does. I was just scared to do it .

Last edited by formerroadie; 09-02-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
No, it doesn't.
That's disappointing! I will not be buying a Sony cover even though I love the plastic snaps more then I like corners. But to comfortably reads, I need to fold back the cover, so I have to give up aesthetic for functionality, so corners for me!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That's disappointing! I will not be buying a Sony cover even though I love the plastic snaps more then I like corners. But to comfortably reads, I need to fold back the cover, so I have to give up aesthetic for functionality, so corners for me!
Look at my edit.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
Look at my edit.
Can you post a picture of the reader in the cover fold back when you have time? Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Great review, FR! One question: Can you make successive blank page notes, or are you limited to one page?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Great review, FR! One question: Can you make successive blank page notes, or are you limited to one page?
On the notes pages you can make multiple page notes that are consecutive.

The picture pages that you draw on are single sheets, if that makes sense.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was mainly wondering if this could be used for taking notes at a meeting or lecture, freehand style.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
formerroadie
Bada Bing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I was mainly wondering if this could be used for taking notes at a meeting or lecture, freehand style.
Ah. Well, you would have to use the blank pages and then just hit the next button. I don't think it would be difficult at all.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Sounds great! I will have to visit a store and give it a try. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #15
Mindflayer
Mindflayer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Darn you, formerroadie. I just bought my PRS-505 but am now tempted to check out the PRS-600 in a side-by-side. PDF magazines are slow on the 505.
Mindflayer is offline   Reply With Quote