Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
anybody know about RSS feeds?

I was reading that my blog should have one, but heck if I know how to go about getting one (they said I should have the little orange icon). Can anybody tell me in a general way what the RSS feed thing is and whether I should get one for my blog? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Since I see from your sig that you use Blogger for your blog this link would seem to have the relevant info on how to set up feeds.

As for what it is - well it's a way of publishing updates to people who are interested. In the old days of "web-logs" I used to regularly check a number of sites, cycling through my favourite bookmarks. If I forgot to visit a particular site for a few days then maybe there would be lots of new updates there. An RSS feed is a way of providing a summary and a link when new material is available. Various programs which understand RSS feeds can be used to follow them. So instead of regularly checking my bookmarks - which I may forget to do - I regularly check my RSS reader. Better still it can regularly check in the background and when I open it I can see that say, "Gregg's blog" has a new post and go and read it. So it feels more like it's updates being delivered to me.

Now I say RSS reader but these days I'm not sure how many people still use them. Most browsers will handle RSS feeds, there are a number of browser add-ons, email programs like Outlook and Thunderbird and so on. Personally I use Google Reader - which is a web-based RSS service.

Oh and RSS is generally how podcasts are delivered. The link of "new stuff" is a download for an mp3 (or other file) rather than a webpage but the principle's the same.

If you have an active blog you should definitely enable feeds as it's how many people will "follow" your updates.

HTH
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Finally - RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Since I see from your sig that you use Blogger for your blog this link would seem to have the relevant info on how to set up feeds.

As for what it is - well it's a way of publishing updates to people who are interested. In the old days of "web-logs" I used to regularly check a number of sites, cycling through my favourite bookmarks. If I forgot to visit a particular site for a few days then maybe there would be lots of new updates there. An RSS feed is a way of providing a summary and a link when new material is available. Various programs which understand RSS feeds can be used to follow them. So instead of regularly checking my bookmarks - which I may forget to do - I regularly check my RSS reader. Better still it can regularly check in the background and when I open it I can see that say, "Gregg's blog" has a new post and go and read it. So it feels more like it's updates being delivered to me.

Now I say RSS reader but these days I'm not sure how many people still use them. Most browsers will handle RSS feeds, there are a number of browser add-ons, email programs like Outlook and Thunderbird and so on. Personally I use Google Reader - which is a web-based RSS service.

Oh and RSS is generally how podcasts are delivered. The link of "new stuff" is a download for an mp3 (or other file) rather than a webpage but the principle's the same.

If you have an active blog you should definitely enable feeds as it's how many people will "follow" your updates.

HTH
Thanks HTH. That link was perfect. On the "allow blog feed" I set it to "until jump break." Could I ask a favor, though. Could you swing by there and see if it's set up properly (as if you wished to have the ability, like you said, to check for new posts in my blog)?
Old 02-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Finally - RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.
Nothing is really simple with this stuff!
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks HTH. That link was perfect. On the "allow blog feed" I set it to "until jump break." Could I ask a favor, though. Could you swing by there and see if it's set up properly (as if you wished to have the ability, like you said, to check for new posts in my blog)?
Yep it's working. I can subscribe to your blog with the "subcribe to posts (atom)" link at the bottom of the page. I can also subscribe to the comments feed on each individual post.

By the way, HTH is short for "Hope This Helps" - you can call me Paul
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Thanks HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Yep it's working. I can subscribe to your blog with the "subcribe to posts (atom)" link at the bottom of the page. I can also subscribe to the comments feed on each individual post.

By the way, HTH is short for "Hope This Helps" - you can call me Paul
(Just kidding.) Thanks Paul, I really appreciate you doing that. (I checked out your blog--very nice!) LOL about the HTH.

IAD
(short for "I Am Dork")