Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Dtw
Dtw began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Kindle
Need another Kindle

I've been using a 5th Gen Kindle. It has page buttons, and I can read and manipulate it from inside a drybag, something I can't do with my touchscreen Kindle.
Unfortunately, the bottom half of screen just died and I need another.

Is the 5th gen the last Kindle that can be controlled from inside a waterproof enclosure?

My plan is to pick up another model just like it somewhere online, but wondering if there's another alternative.
Dtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I have heard you can use a touchscreen inside a zip lock bag.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, there is always Waterfi: http://waterfi.com/waterproof-kindle

They sell waterproof Kindle PW1s (as well as several other popular devices).
You can also mail them your device and have them waterproof it (works out to about the same price).

Alternatively, you could jump ship and get the Kobo H2O, but I hope you will understand my reluctance to advocate that in this forum.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #4
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Well, can't a Voyage be controlled for page turns using its buttons? (even when inside a drybag)
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose so -- but bags are awkward and the Waterfi Kindle is only another $50 (on a $200 device, that is).
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtw View Post
I've been using a 5th Gen Kindle. It has page buttons, and I can read and manipulate it from inside a drybag, something I can't do with my touchscreen Kindle.
Unfortunately, the bottom half of screen just died and I need another.

Is the 5th gen the last Kindle that can be controlled from inside a waterproof enclosure?

My plan is to pick up another model just like it somewhere online, but wondering if there's another alternative.
What is a "drybag"? I've never had any problems using any of my paperwhites or my Voyage from within a ziplog bag, as Cinisajoy mentioned. (every other capacitive touchscreen device works in ziploc bags as well, btw)

The only touchscreen device that I have that doesn't work in a ziploc bag is my Kobo Aura HD, I believe because it uses an infrared touchscreen rather than capacitive.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I fancy this case for the Voyage. However I don't want to pay for it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Personally I never worried about the risk, I used my Kindle in the bath or on holiday (beach/pool) inside a Ziploc bag, and that included touch kindles.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Don't forget to check our Flea Market Forum periodically, if you may be looking for a used one, as they do come up periodically.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
http://www.amazon.com/Decrescent-Uni...of+kindle+case

its $7
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have a different solution I read on my employer provided smart phone. That way if anything happens I don't have to pay for the repair. I take it back to my employer and say "Here its your you fix it." I know there is some downside to my approach and I am willing to except the downside to my approach.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
A phone wouldn't be ideal for reading at the beach or by the pool.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have a different solution I read on my employer provided smart phone. That way if anything happens I don't have to pay for the repair. I take it back to my employer and say "Here its your you fix it." I know there is some downside to my approach and I am willing to except the downside to my approach.
"Use the Kindle app on the smartphone you may or may not have" is NOT an adequate answer to the OP's actual question.
The OP wants to know if there is an E-Ink Kindle that can be used in or around water.

You haven't even tried to say that a smartphone (yours? ) is waterproof.

(Also, I kind of doubt your employer will replace your employer-provided smartphone in a case of blatantly obvious mistreatment.)

But hey, it's good to know that your completely irrelevant approach to an entirely different matter works for you.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As they come direct from Amazon, no Kindle is waterproof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
A phone wouldn't be ideal for reading at the beach or by the pool.
Why Not? I read outside in Direct sunlight on my Amazon Phone. Cant other smart phone work?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote