Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #46
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Though with a few well placed mis-reads his works can take on a whole new meaning....sometimes highschool was fun!!!!
So true. One of my high school English teachers assigned the memorization of very long passages of Shakespeare. I especially recall the "To be or not to be..." assignment, because we all had problems with it so the majority of the class ended up ad libbing at some point in the recitation. Some of the results were extremely amusing.

As for reading not being cool, I just don't see it. I'm cool, and I read a lot. Always have. So using very basic (and somewhat false) logic, I can only conclude that reading isn't the problem.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #47
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
What is cool? Cool is all about external attraction, external apperances.

Reading is about internal attraction, the internal mindscape.

They are opposed...
Thanks. I've started three posts trying to express this idea and getting muddled each time. You've stated it simply and succinctly.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #48
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
So true. One of my high school English teachers assigned the memorization of very long passages of Shakespeare. I especially recall the "To be or not to be..." assignment, because we all had problems with it so the majority of the class ended up ad libbing at some point in the recitation. Some of the results were extremely amusing.

As for reading not being cool, I just don't see it. I'm cool, and I read a lot. Always have. So using very basic (and somewhat false) logic, I can only conclude that reading isn't the problem.
LB --- Not that you would know anything about typos..... (I know, I know, what happens in the IAYGA club, stays In the IAYGA club )

By the way, no false logic there... if a=b and b=c, then a=c. This is an established mathematical tenet!!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #49
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
LB --- Not that you would know anything about typos..... (I know, I know, what happens in the IAYGA club, stays In the IAYGA club )

By the way, no false logic there... if a=b and b=c, then a=c. This is an established mathematical tenet!!!!
Oooh, the typo that wouldn't die!!

The logic can be considered false because A (my coolness) can be argued by some to be nonexistent. They would therefore argue that the premise is flawed. Then there's the fact that it conflicts with cat logic. (Cats are cool but they don't read. Although this is flawed in the opposite direction - the coolness of cats is well established but we're not 100% certain that they don't read. It's possible that they read by osmosis, which is why they tend to plant themselves on top of books and ereaders. We just don't know and they are too cool to lower themselves to explaining it to mere humans.)

I prefer puppy logic: Those who feed me are cool.

One way we could settle it would be to conduct a poll regarding my coolness, but the very act of posting a poll regarding my own coolness would be decidedly uncool...

WAIT!! I've got it!! Okay, y'all remember that article some time back about people lying about what they've read and how much they read? There was a thread about it here. Well, that must mean that reading is cool. After all, it falls into "It was on the Interwebz so it must be true!" and we KNOW that's solid.

So (A+B-Cats)*(Puppies/Interwebz)+(logic-common sense)/my Karma =
Reading is cool and Math is fun!!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #50
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I really don't get why this is such a discussion. People in general now (and really, if you want, at any point in time) aren't overly intellectual, and tend to choose the path of least resistance. Now, it used to be for entertainment, there were fewer options and reading was often the easiest option. As technology has improved, easier forms of personal entertainment have come forth. Average person would rather watch TV than read.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #51
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Changed your boldface to show where another problem is. Its not necessarily that they're forced to read it, but they're also being forced to vivisect their reading in the most graphic way possible, in ways the author probably never intended their work to be taken.
Your comment reminds me of a sci-fi short story I read (voluntarily!) many many many years ago where some famous author (Shakespeare?) is brought to modern times, and takes a class in his own works, and fails...

I'm sure someone else will remember the story better...

Last edited by sufue; 10-10-2011 at 08:58 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #52
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamborine View Post
I was "forced" to read The Hobbit in 9th grade, and I loved it while I was reading it! After I read it, I immediately went on and read the Trilogy for fun. And I liked A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlet Letter when we had to read them. I kind of appreciated being assigned books I probably never would've chosen on my own.
You're a lot better person than I...more power to you!
Old 10-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #53
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Your comment reminds me of a sci-fi short story I read (voluntarily!) many many many years ago where some famous author (Shakespeare?) is brought to modern times, and takes a class in his own works, and fails...

I forget the title (Author, Author?) but it was by Isaac Asimov.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #54
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I forget the title (Author, Author?) but it was by Isaac Asimov.
I knew someone would remember it !!!!

Now I'll have to go find it and read it again, assuming it's not $19.99 in e-book
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM   #55
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The story is The Immortal Bard.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #56
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I knew someone would remember it !!!!

Now I'll have to go find it and read it again, assuming it's not $19.99 in e-book
The Immortal Bard by Isaac Asimov
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #57
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Changed your boldface to show where another problem is. Its not necessarily that they're forced to read it, but they're also being forced to vivisect their reading in the most graphic way possible, in ways the author probably never intended their work to be taken.

Its also why I haven't picked up a book of poetry since the end of high school, and actively avoid poetry elsewhere. Once you've been conditioned to vivisecting poems to "properly appreciate them," you don't want to see another poem again.
I agree with this. It can sometimes get to the stage where one feels that if he isn't 'appreciating' the prose like he was taught to in school, he isn't doing the activity of reading right, and so there's no point to it. Reading can be fun, and it can provoke analytical thought. But when teachers claim reading is fun, but then go on to emphasize the analytical aspect so much as to completely overpower the fun aspect, it has the opposite effect to what was originally intended.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #58
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I remember it as well. It was a funny story. And it might happen if Shakespeare was brought to the future. He wrote his plays to entertain and to make money and the overwhelming effort that is put into analysing every line looking for hidden meanings would probably not make a lot of sense to him.

After all, for that much effort, people could be writing their own stories.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #59
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Many people of my acquaintance do not read fiction because "it is not real".

Most can and do read newspapers, web pages, TVguides, Tabloids, Entertainment magazines, Penthouse or Cosmopolitan magazines. (I know much of this is fiction of a type but they can see pictures and relate in this way)

They watch TV which is not for the most part real, but one can see the characters so therefore it is real.

I also know people who will read an autobiography or historical work which may seem dry as dust to me, but are completely bored by fiction.

I have also been approached by people who ask me how can you read that and they actually want to know. In at least two instances I was able to overcome the fight or flight reaction and help them find something that they thought they might want to try.

The perceived lack of 'coolness' might come from the fact that reading a book is generally a solitary activity from which others are excluded.

This is often reinforced by the readers themselves. Just try asking a stranger what they are reading

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #60
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
The logic can be considered false because A (my coolness) can be argued by some to be nonexistent. They would therefore argue that the premise is flawed.
I think you are confusing logic (which analyzes the relationships between claims) with critical thinking. Consider: "I like to read books. A computer mouse is a book. Therefore, I like to read computer mice." Thinking critically, we can identify a flaw in the second claim (computer mice are not, in fact, books); however, the logic per se is flawless.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote