Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
sunshinelover
sunshinelover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Send to Device button missing

Hello everyone

Has anyone else had the problem of the "Send to Device" button disappearing from Calibre?

I used Calibre for the first time a few months ago and it worked very well. I haven't used it since, and today tried to download some books but nothing happens. The computer can see the Kindle, but Calibre doesn't seem to be able to. It doesn't list the books that are already on the Kindle, and there is no button to send the books to the Kindle. When I opened the Calibre application this evening, it told me to download updates, which I did. I have restarted my computer for the updates to take effect. Would that have had something to do with it?

If anyone can suggest what is wrong, and how to fix it, I would be grateful! Alternatively, agree that it has happened to you too, so that I don't feel an idiot! :-)

Thanks!
sunshinelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelover View Post
Hello everyone

Has anyone else had the problem of the "Send to Device" button disappearing from Calibre?

I used Calibre for the first time a few months ago and it worked very well. I haven't used it since, and today tried to download some books but nothing happens. The computer can see the Kindle, but Calibre doesn't seem to be able to. It doesn't list the books that are already on the Kindle, and there is no button to send the books to the Kindle. When I opened the Calibre application this evening, it told me to download updates, which I did. I have restarted my computer for the updates to take effect. Would that have had something to do with it?

If anyone can suggest what is wrong, and how to fix it, I would be grateful! Alternatively, agree that it has happened to you too, so that I don't feel an idiot! :-)

Thanks!
Make sure the Kindle(your model) driver is enabled.
Preferences: Plugins: device Interface: <your model>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Make sure that you do not have another device such as an iPhone/iPod plugged in. Calibre can only recognise one device at a time.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
This may sound too simple, but another possible problem is a hinky cable. I had an issue a few months ago of Calibre not recognizing my Kindle some of the time. Swapped the cable, and problem solved.
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
sunshinelover

Thanks v much everyone! I have tried all your suggestions and it still isn't working. I have enabled my Kindle 3 driver, I don't have any other devices connected to my pc, and I have tried my friend's Kindle cable. :-(

Help!? I am going on holiday today so I think that I will have to download some holiday books from Amazon, but would love if anyone has any other ideas that I can try when I get back.

I LOVE my Kindle, so really would like to fix this.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

Cheers
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you post the device detection log as mentioned in the last bullet point in this sticky we might have a chance at spotting what is wrong.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Can you see the kindle as a device in your operating system? (ie. my computer in Windows)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
sunshinelover

Thanks for all your help, I think the problem is solved. As suggested by Helen, I checked if the operating system could see the Kindle and it couldn't. So with the Kindle still plugged in, I restarted my pc, and when everything loaded up again, there the Kindle was!

I am delighted!

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated! :-))))
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
jannyjo
jannyjo began at the beginning.

Hi, Just joining, Before I invest in a e reader I waqnt ot know all about them.
I've been reading about the Kindel fire. and the program Calibre but I dont see where their tell to SEND TO DEVICE BUTTON so Im tryen to figure it out before I get it and get very frustrated.
Sure hope its a s much fun as everyones sayen.
Thanks for the welcome.
Jannyjo.
jannyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannyjo View Post
Hi, Just joining, Before I invest in a e reader I waqnt ot know all about them.
I've been reading about the Kindel fire. and the program Calibre but I dont see where their tell to SEND TO DEVICE BUTTON so Im tryen to figure it out before I get it and get very frustrated.
Sure hope its a s much fun as everyones sayen.
Thanks for the welcome.
Jannyjo.
Welcome to MR (and Calibre) JannyJo

Send to only appears IF Calibre detects a device connected.
No device, No Send To.

The Kindle Fire does not exist (yet) as far as Calibre is concerened.
Manufacturers don't usually Send Kovid or Crew pre-release hardware samples so drivers can be ready on Launch Day.
Someway to get books from Calibre will work ,
but until someone gets their hands on one, we all just wait.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannyjo View Post
the program Calibre but I dont see where their tell to SEND TO DEVICE BUTTON so Im tryen to figure it out before I get it and get very frustrated.
As theducks says send to device only appears when a device is connected OR when you use the Connect to folder feature. This will treat a folder on your computer as a device and you can see most of what it will be like to have a device connected and how to send books to it.

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote