Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #15271
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished, and as usual, wanting more. On to Necessity's Child. Though I might just do a quick pass through I Dare to catch up to where things are first.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #15272
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Started 50 shades of gray, just to see where all the fuss is about. Some say it is suspense too and cant stop reading.....I find it difficult to keep my interest, it's something that reminds of those cheap Harlequin lecture I used to buy when i was a teenager. Anyone an opinion about this book? Not sure if I want to keep going.
I didn't read the books, but did flip through the first one that a friend was reading. Nothing I read enticed me to borrow or get the book(s). There were many that did read the book(s) and either loved them or hated them.

I did find some old threads here on MR that had some discussion about the book(s), if you are interested in seeing what some others thought about them.

50 Shades Of Absolute Crap

Fifty Shades of Gray Triology *****

Fifty Shades of Grey tops NYT Bestsellers - mainly from ebook sales

Last edited by dreams; 01-16-2013 at 04:05 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #15273
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Think I am going to purchase "Merry Christmas Alex Cross" from James Patterson. Am a huge James Patterson (Alex Cross)fan and started to read the Cross-series again but now I want to read the new novel so badly!
I've only read the first two in the series. I plan on reading more of them. The first two were good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #15274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Mayans are never wrong.
I'm still here. They were wrong!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #15275
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

My current read is Among Others by Jo Walton.

Quote:
Startling, unusual, and yet irresistibly readable, Among Others is at once the compelling story of a young woman struggling to escape a troubled childhood, a brilliant diary of first encounters with the great novels of modern fantasy and SF, and a spellbinding tale of escape from ancient enchantment. Raised by a half-mad mother who dabbled in magic, Morwenna Phelps found refuge in two worlds. As a child growing up in Wales, she played among the spirits who made their homes in industrial ruins. But her mind found freedom and promise in the science fiction novels that were her closest companions. Then her mother tried to bend the spirits to dark ends, and Mori was forced to confront her in a magical battle that left her crippled—and her twin sister dead. Fleeing to her father whom she barely knew, Mori was sent to boarding school in England—a place all but devoid of true magic. There, outcast and alone, she tempted fate by doing magic herself, in an attempt to find a circle of like-minded friends. But her magic also drew the attention of her mother, bringing about a reckoning that could no longer be put off...
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #15276
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Hmm, I'm kind of glad I read Among Others without first reading that blurb. A lot of that information you infer quite slowly through filling in the blanks, and it seems a bit much to just plonk it all down there. On the other hand, I guess I wouldn't read a book without some idea of what it was about. (In this case, I read it because it was on last year's Hugo ballot.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #15277
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Into Thin Air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	99524  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #15278
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Hmm, I'm kind of glad I read Among Others without first reading that blurb. A lot of that information you infer quite slowly through filling in the blanks, and it seems a bit much to just plonk it all down there. On the other hand, I guess I wouldn't read a book without some idea of what it was about. (In this case, I read it because it was on last year's Hugo ballot.)
And so, how many stars?

What did you think? It's on my list but....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #15279
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Abandoned. I gave it 90 pages but it was more than I can bear.

After my attempt at Sheepfarmer's Daughter, I needed something light so I'm reading the YA book The Boy at the End of the World. It's now only $1.00 at BoB with latest promo code.
I did start Sheepfarmer's Daughter. It never really caught my attention. I might give it one more go (from where I left off) and if I cannot get into it, it's gone.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #15280
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake bandana View Post
and "Me" By Yuaziiqann http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFKTEPM
Seems Me is no longer available at Amazon.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #15281
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I think I will stick to fiction. True stories are too painful. I am now looking for a happy romance story. Any ideas?
Nora Roberts should fit the bill.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #15282
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
The Wisdom of Psychopaths.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #15283
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Winter's Bone was heartbreaking and beautiful. I loved it.

I also finished a graphic novel, Habibi by Craig Thompson. It's a epic tale set in a timeless Middle East. The drawings are amazing, filled with Arabic calligraphy. Intertwined in the story of the two protagonists are tales from the Bible and Quran.
Blurb:
Spoiler:
Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart; as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world (not unlike our own) fueled by fear, lust, and greed; and as they discover the extraordinary depth—and frailty—of their connection.

At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling.

I've started reading a time-travel story, To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. New author for me. I meant to read Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Willis in December, but never found time for it. So I decided to try a novel instead, So far (just under halfway through), it's mostly been delightful fun, but I find the silliness of it a bit tedious at times though.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #15284
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLu View Post
Fantastic book! I liked it very much! I'm waiting for the sequel.
Read that, enjoyed it and also waiting for the sequel.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #15285
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OH WOW! THERE ARE EBOOKS! WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME!

Time to purchase and re-read. I loved this (at least the first trilogy) My favorite reluctant/anti-hero!

Oh Wow, the Library even has them....I'm on the waiting list. Woo-Hoo! What a nice birthday present!
I remember reading the first Thomas Covenant series. It was one of those I started reading and when I looked up, didn't realize how much I had read. It's an excellent series. Not the same old everything ends up rosy when the good guy wins.