Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
m-ebook
m-ebook began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Mac workaround: using remote pc

I am a student on East Coast with only a Mac. However, when I'm on West Coast periodically, I have access to a Windows PC. I can connect my prs-505 to a Windows PC when I'm on the West Coast and authorize it and set up the reader. Then later, can my mom download books from sony on this pc (West Coast) and email the files to my Mac, and can I transfer them to my Reader?
m-ebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ebook View Post
Then later, can my mom download books from sony on this pc (West Coast) and email the files to my Mac, and can I transfer them to my Reader?
That would probably work. However, I think you are better off buying Mobipocket format books, removing the DRM and then using calibre to convert them to LRF.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That should work. I've used Calibre to copy lrx files to my sony, and I've simply copied the file to the correct spot. The key word is should, since I haven't tried that specific combination.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
m-ebook
m-ebook began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I tried it and it worked just fine. While I agree with the Mobipocket suggestion, there is the matter of the free classics at Sony store. I still don't understand the lack of Mac support. I know there are more PCs out there, but the average Mac owner is much more likely to buy this than the average PC owner.
m-ebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-ebook View Post
I tried it and it worked just fine. While I agree with the Mobipocket suggestion, there is the matter of the free classics at Sony store. I still don't understand the lack of Mac support. I know there are more PCs out there, but the average Mac owner is much more likely to buy this than the average PC owner.
You do realize that ALL of those free classics can be found right here in the mobileread ebook section? If you can find them here check feedbooks.com then manybooks.net and finally projectgutenburg.org.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote