Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
paperpeople
paperpeople began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
Can you use without the wifi??

Hello, I just joined forum. I have the Sony 650. My friend thought she would like to get one too. Just found out the 650 has been discontinued. We live in a small rural town...we don't have much access to wifi.

Can you use the Sony T1 the same way you can with the Sony650...USB cable?Does the T1 come with the Reader Library?

I love my Sony 650 and being able to get books from my public library by downloading to my Reader Library than transferring to my reader. Works great for me. WiFi is great IF you have it.

Before my friend buys the Sony T1...we need to know it will work without using the Wifi.

THANKS
paperpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, you can.

However, it does not use the Reader Library, but the new (and buggy) Reader for PC, which you can download at:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

The new software is supposed to be an improvement - and the interface is prettier, plus it has some new features (such as syncing notes, highlights etc.). But it is a bit buggier than the old Reader Library (which wasn't the greatest software itself...).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
The new software is supposed to be an improvement - and the interface is prettier, plus it has some new features (such as syncing notes, highlights etc.). But it is a bit buggier than the old Reader Library (which wasn't the greatest software itself...).
Have you tried the newest update of Reader for PC? If not, are you sure it's still buggy? If you haven't tried it and you don't know, please don't call it buggy until you are sure it is buggy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Yes, you can just turn the WiFi off and forget about it. You can use the USB cord to load books just like with the 650. I'm assuming you use ADE to load the library books and not the Sony software. If this is the case then it will work the same.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
paperpeople
paperpeople began at the beginning.

Device: sony 650
Hello & thanks for the answers.

Banjobama..to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how me getting the books is working exactly..I do have the ADE in place..had to in order to make things work. The first book I downloaded ..I THINK went to the ADE...but after that ...the books have been going into my Reader Library. All I know is it works quick & smoothly for me and I love it! I'm not the best when it comes to computers, but I managed to figure this book thing out and I feel lucky it works!! HaHa

I bought my Sony 650 in May. So was shocked to find it had been discontinued.
paperpeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I'm not questioning anyone's experiences, but in a couple of weeks of use I haven't found the Sony Reader software for PC to be buggy. I use WiFi mostly at home, but I also connect by USB to a PC to back up handwritten notes.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
If you want the easiest non-wifi method - use Calibre.

Forget the Sony s/ware, new or old !

Plug in and install Calibre.

Just choose your book, buy/get your download file, the drag and drop into Calibre Library, send to device, and you're there.
And it's not buggy at all - which I have found the latest (but not the very latest , that's coming, we all hope) version to be, a tad.

And the version you down load is set-up for T1.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried the newest update of Reader for PC? If not, are you sure it's still buggy? If you haven't tried it and you don't know, please don't call it buggy until you are sure it is buggy.
Of course I have.
Just to mention some issues:

1) Auto-delivery still fails (often) to add magazines to the periodical list. I have subscriptions to WSJ and FT. They are downloaded - almost every day (it misses, but rarely, even if the PC is always on) but often the subscriptions are not added to the list of periodicals and cannot be accesses from the software. that is, the actual epub gets downloaded, I can open it by manually locating it in its folder, but there is no way to import it into the software. SONY CS has confirmed this as a known bug over the phone, but they have no solution for it, at least at the moment.

2) Subscriptions are often downloaded multiple times. Same as above, but multiple copies of the same epub is created.

3) Handwritten notes from the x50 series are still not displayed in the new software - but they work with the old one.

4) Handwritten annotations - from the x50 series and from the T1 - do not always export correctly. The export feature creates an RTF file containing images of the underlying page and of the annotations, but the two often do not line up correctly.

5) It still freezes on me, occasionally. Less than before, but it is actually currently frozen (I was trying to sync my 950 - letting it sit for another hour or so, then I'll be forced to shut it down, not for the first time).

6) Periodicals (for example, old issues of Foreign Policy purchased through SONY's store) are sometimes added to the book list instead of the periodical list. If you try multiple times, the same issue gets added to one or the other, seemingly randomly.

And, of course, the intended feature - not being able to delete books purchased through SONY's store - is so poorly designed I am tempted to call it a bug.

I have multiple PCs and multiple readers, and the above problems are consistent across PCs. I do no have a Mac, so I can't comment.

And all of the above works smoothly with the old software - at least for me.

So yes, I call it buggy because I am sure it is. You might not notice if you don't use certain features.

EDIT: because I am not getting into this...

Last edited by vxf; 12-03-2011 at 04:57 PM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, I think given the list of bus you've mentioned, Reader for PC can be called buggy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote