Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
.DOCX format

Hi all,

I'm anxiously waiting for my Kindle 3, and in preparation, I'm organizing all my digital stuff.

Last thing I need to do is get my .DOCX files sorted.

Here's the deal:

I'm a medical student, and have lots of .DOCX files that I have created with navigation included. It would be most helpful if I could convert them into say a .MOBI file and keep the formating.

Only problem, Calibre can't open my files.

What can I do?

(I can attach a file to show as an example if needed.)

Thanks!
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Calibre can´t read a proprietary file format like docx.
My only idea is to convert the files into pdf and then into mobi with calibre.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi OP

You can email DOCX files to your Kindle which will convert them to a Kindle-friendly format for your viewing - it doesn't cost anything if you are receiving the files via wifi. Some complex DOCX files might not be formatted perfectly for the Kindle but you wouldn't know that without trying.

If you really want to convert them before getting your Kindle, I would suggest saving as HMTL files first because the links etc will be preserved. And it is my experience that HTML files convert better into mobi files than pdf. Calibre can convert HTML files for you no problem.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
If you simply want to have the files available on your Kindle, you could save them off as Word 2003 .doc files and email them to your Kindle's free email address (you'll find details of that address on the "Manage my Kindle" page on the Amazon website).

If you want to use Calibre to organise them, though, there are a few different options available:

- As phili suggests, you could try saving them as PDF files, import those into Calibre, then convert to MOBI files.

- Another alternative would be to save them as Word 2003 .doc files then use Kindlegen or MobiPocket Creator to convert the .doc files to MOBI files which you could then import into Calibre.

- And a further alternative would be to save them, in Word, as "Web Page, Filtered" (i.e. save them as HTML), then either import that directly into Calibre and convert to MOBI files, or use Kindlegen or MobiPocket Creator to convert the HTML to MOBI, and import that into Calibre.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I usually open in Word and then "Save As" an html file. Then I load that into Calibre and convert it to Mobi for the Kindle.

That usually saves formatting such as italics etc, but I'm not sure it is going to carry over your navigation links.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I usually open in Word and then "Save As" an html file. Then I load that into Calibre and convert it to Mobi for the Kindle.

That usually saves formatting such as italics etc, but I'm not sure it is going to carry over your navigation links.
Yes it does work with the navigation links. It normally converts very well, as I said, using this method.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Thank you all for your responses.

I will try all those methods and report back for the best result.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Caliber understands RTF so you can save it as rtf and give it a shot. See which works best. I suspect HTML is your best bet, though.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur

Indeed, the HTML route was the best one.

I'm gonna experiment more when I don't have exams to pass ^^
Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
miro_rad
miro_rad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
Hi all,

I'm anxiously waiting for my Kindle 3, and in preparation, I'm organizing all my digital stuff.

Last thing I need to do is get my .DOCX files sorted.

Here's the deal:

I'm a medical student, and have lots of .DOCX files that I have created with navigation included. It would be most helpful if I could convert them into say a .MOBI file and keep the formating.

Only problem, Calibre can't open my files.

What can I do?

(I can attach a file to show as an example if needed.)

Thanks!
Save you docx as doc and convert to mobi with 'mobipocket creator'.
Works OK
miro_rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Check this out:

http://www.fileguru.com/Docx-To-Doc-Converter/info
http://www.download32.com/nw-docx-converter-i53166.html
http://trivuz.com/software/free-docx...her-converter/
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote