Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket Java Reader on Pepper Pad 3

The Pepper Pad's O/S is Linux (Fedora Core 4) but its primary application suite is Java based, and includes MobiPocket Reader. Since this will apparently soon be on the iLiad, I enclose some screenshots from the (800x480) PP3 using the Mobi Reader.

I used the HTML version of IllustratedLondonReader from Project Gutenberg, because deadite66 suggested that MobiPocket displays HTML. I think it is more accurate to say that MobiPocket imports HTML. Under Windows I imported the HTML using the new (beta) version 6.0 MobiPocket Reader, and copied the resulting .prc file to my PP3. The first 3 screen shots are from this document using the Java MobiPocket Reader. The graphics display well (smaller than the originals), but the reader is much less customizable than (say) the Windows 5.2 version. In particular the line spacing (double?) and the margins (very large) are not under user control. You can select the font and the font size. There are no rotation or page layout options. The PP3 isn't very comfortable in portrait mode, but a lack of screen rotation options might be significant on the iLiad.

The next 3 screen shots are from the same file using FBReader (note that Abbey is in blue because I searched for this word). All its display characteristics are under user control, and I have it setup to display much more text per screen in a bold font. The page can be rotated (+90, +180, +270 degrees). However, it does not detect the hyperlinks in the .prc (actually .mobi) file. In fact, the PP3 and the Windows MobiPocket Readers have a hyperlinked CONTENTS section within the document but no "table of contents" in the menu, and FBReader has a table of contents in its menu but no in-line hyperlinks. FBReader can presumably be updated to detect the links.

I tried a .prc from Baen, and it has a table of contents that is in the menu of all three readers.

FBReader reads HTML directly, and the last 3 screen shots are FBReader on the original (zipped) HTML file. It now detects the hyperlinks. I also show one screen with the FBReader top panel, rather than in full screen mode. Note that the progress bar at the bottom can also be removed if you want.

The PP3 Java version was ported by Pepper, and MobiPocket says that Pepper is in charge of how much functionality to provide. So it isn't clear if the Java version is actually much less capable than other versions of MobiPocket reader, or if Pepper did a minimal port. In any case, given the availability of FBRreader, I will only use the PP3 Mobi Reader if I ever buy an encripted e-book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_mobi1.png
Views:	760
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	2746   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_mobi2.png
Views:	625
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	2747   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_mobi3.png
Views:	611
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2748   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr1.png
Views:	604
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2749   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr2.png
Views:	664
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2750   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr3.png
Views:	643
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	2751   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr4.png
Views:	641
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	2752   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr5.png
Views:	588
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	2753   Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_fbr6.png
Views:	612
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2754  

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-29-2007 at 11:58 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

...and how does this all relate to he iLiad...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
-> moved

wallcraft, the screenshots look great. Do you have any photos showing the screen of the PP3 in daylight?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
...and how does this all relate to he iLiad...?
There are strong indications that MobiPocket Java Reader for Linux will soon be available on the iLiad.

I probably put too much stuff on the post about FBReader, but this does show that the PP3 MobiPocket reader is less capable than it could be (and the open source FBReader could be ported to the iLiad too). The Windows MobiPocket Reader is very capable, and as I said in the original post I don't know if the PP3 versions limitations are intrinsic to the Java Reader or due to choices made by Pepper about what features to make available.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
There are strong indications that MobiPocket Java Reader for Linux will soon be available on the iLiad.
Aren't you reading a lot into a one line comment...?
Advert
Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Mobipocket have already said that Iliad support will be included with their Java reader, see my thread on the mobipocket forums.
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill
Mobipocket have already said that Iliad support will be included with their Java reader, see my thread on the mobipocket forums.
Cool... Do you have a link...?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/view...?p=18286#18286

>>Illiad support is already on the tracks (using our Java SDK)
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote