Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen releases firmware upgrade

Bookeen have released new firmware for their popular CyBook Gen3 and CyBook Opus range. As has been the case with recent Bookeen firmware, there are two versions available: 2.1, supporting Adobe ADE DRM, and 1.6, supporting Mobipocket DRM. The new firmware can be downloaded from:

http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportdownload/

The full list of new and revised features is:

Instant Reading
* Cybook can be switched on/off in 1 second, keeping last read page open.
* Note 1: works on all 400 MHz Cybooks (Gen3 v3, Gen3 – Gold Edition and all Opus’).
* Note 2: in this mode, device is actually in deep-sleep mode (very low power consumption).

Shutdown
* “Shutdown” option now available from “Advanced…” menu.
* On 400 MHz Cybooks, one can press the power off button for 2 seconds.
* On 200 MHz Cybooks, power off button behaves as usual.
* Note: when shut down, Cybook will display a blank screen with a “switched-off” icon.

9 new user interface languages for a total of 23 languages
* New: Danish, Croatian, Hungarian, Portuguese, Romanian, Turkish, Slovak, Chinese simplified & Chinese traditional.
* User interface is now available in a total of 23 languages: Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English, Spanish, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hungarian, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Slovak, Slovenian, Chinese simplified & Chinese traditional.
* Note: to be able to select a Chinese user interface, a Chinese font must be present in the “Fonts” directory.

Chinese/Japanese/Korean and other international content in “Library”
* Support for Chinese, Japanese & Korean (CJK) file names and metadata.
* Non Latin/Greek/Cyrillic text will automatically be rendered using another user supplied font (“Fonts” directory).
* Note: works for all left-to-right languages.

Accelerometer shortcut (Cybook Opus)
Accelerometer can be enabled/disabled with “Menu” + “Enter” shortcut.

Side buttons (Cybook Opus)
Side buttons can be flipped (“Advanced…” menu), allowing one hand page turns with thumb on lower button (portrait modes only).

Improvement (Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition)
* Lower power consumption in suspend modes.
* Faster pagination mode.

USB activity (400MHz Cybooks only)
LED now blinks during USB transfers.

Bug fix (Cybook Opus)
Under some circumstances, accelerometer would stay in suspend mode and would not unlock until deactivated and reactivated.

Localization fixes
Corrections in Finnish & Spanish user interface.

Latest features (version 2.1 only)

Table of Contents (ePub/PDF/FB2)
Complete TOC now displayed, including potential multi-levels.

Improvement (TXT)
* New heuristics to process text.
* Specifically, Gutenberg Project texts will now be rendered better and faster.
* Also, now accepts any text encoding.

Improvement (FB2)
Hyperlinks & metadata support.

Fix (bug in version 2.0)
ePub & PDF metadata handling corrected in “Library”.

Fix (bug in version 2.0)
Lower memory consumption with large font files.

Latest features (version 1.6 only)

Mobipocket dictionaries
* Faster accesses in “Lookup” mode.
* Note: dictionaries must be located at the root of folder “eBooks”.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Still no bookmarks for ePub?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

And all us Gen3 v1 early adopters groan.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What was bookeen supposed to do ?
Keep from putting functions onto the opus, or new gen3 because the older ones won't stand it ?

Yeah, my gen3 still don't have sleep mode. But at least my opus do.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Keep from putting functions onto the opus, or new gen3 because the older ones won't stand it ?
How about putting improvements to TXT files handling onto both Mobipocket and ePub firmwares?

With my old 200MHz Gen3 there's absolutely no reason to install 1.6 update because it seems to change nothing for me. I would install it to have TXT handle encodings, but strangely enough, they only added that in ePub firmware.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
Why is that? I have a Gen3 v1, and have updated to the 2.1 from 2.0, and am enjoying finally getting metadata with ePub. I couldn't care less about sleep mode or instant on.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
... and still not sold in Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

Yeah, my gen3 still don't have sleep mode. But at least my opus do.
Now I remember why I don't post in this forum.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
How about putting improvements to TXT files handling onto both Mobipocket and ePub firmwares?

With my old 200MHz Gen3 there's absolutely no reason to install 1.6 update because it seems to change nothing for me. I would install it to have TXT handle encodings, but strangely enough, they only added that in ePub firmware.
I ddin't knew they changed anything on txt files, as I don't really use use them. Strange indeed. I guess they don't read them the same way on both firmware, though i can't figure out why.

Quote:
Now I remember why I don't post in this forum.
You still haven't explain the reason of you groan.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
John Bailey
Connoisseur
John Bailey doesn't litterJohn Bailey doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Thanks for the heads up Harry. Just got it installed on my Gen 3 and so far working perfectly.

As someone who often gets interrupted while reading, the instant on mode is very cool. Should save a lot of reboots.
John Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
As someone who often gets interrupted while reading, the instant on mode is very cool. Should save a lot of reboots.
Yeap. I took the habit of letting the cybook always on. Still haven't took the reflex of hitting the off button.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #12
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
... and still not sold in Canada.
Errrr ...?!

http://www.bookeen.com/store/canada/...book/opus.html
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncri View Post
version 1.6 improves lookup speed, they say.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post

Mobi and ePub firmware handle TXT et HTML differently, they do not use the same engine, that's why one can have improvment (or bugs) the other don't have.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Nope, still not sold in Canada:

http://www.bookeen.com/en/resellers/

Without some sort of dealer presence, no one will ever hear about the product except died-in-the-wool extreme e-bookies.

Amazon can get away with this being Amazon (and they have a Canadian edition of their website and a large installed based of customers).

Bookeen needs to be in "real" stores to be seen and considered. There are lots of stores similar to Best Buy that it ought to be in.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote