Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #166
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you're updating from the previous versions (ie. v0.4.N/v3.1.N), yes, uninstall, reboot, and then update.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #167
masterebotzki
masterebotzki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2i
ok thank you for the older one i would have to uninstall them for an amazon update right
masterebotzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #168
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you would have had to uninstall them in order to be able to install official updates.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #169
masterebotzki

thank you you are the greatest
Old 07-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #170
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Good job, NiLuJe!
I am happy to see new features on the lastest release.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #171
masterebotzki

i am sorry for all the questions but can i use the uninstall in the .5 ss hack or do i have to use the one that i downloaded with the hack i have
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #172
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterebotzki View Post
i am sorry for all the questions but can i use the uninstall in the .5 ss hack or do i have to use the one that i downloaded with the hack i have
If your SS hack didn't come from this thread, then, no, you shouldn't use the uninstaller found here, but the one from your SS hack's author .
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #173
masterebotzki

it came from here i am not sure which version though most likely .4 would the .5 uninstaller work
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #174
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Then yes, the .6 uninstaller is fine .

(Technically, the .5, too, but since it was only up for four hours, best forget about it! ^^)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #175
masterebotzki

ok thank you
Old 07-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #176
Alex73
Alex73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 i
Dear sirs,

I am not a native english speaker, please forgive my mistakes..if any.

I carefully read all this thread and follow the links in it also. I highly appreciate the work some guys did to help everybody customize our devices. many thanks !

Here is my case:

I got a Kindle2 international version. software is the current one 2.5.3.
As I am from Romania I tried to use Calibre and mobipocket creator to convert some romanian books...
In romanian language there are some special diacritics and those fail to display corectly, except for the books in epub format, wich was converted OK. (is it possible that Kindle have romanian diacritics but i did the conversion wrong?)
Another issue is that also romanian webpages also are displayed with lot of ugly squares...and makes the browsing experience very bad.

I am ready to proceed to jailbreak and font hack, but I am not sure where can I find romanian fonts and which type should i look . Any ttf with romanian diacritics will work?

All I have to do is font hack, and after that rename my fonts and overwrite them in /linkfonts folder?

Thank you for your answer,

Alex
Alex73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #177
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The default font should at least support part of the Romanian diatrics, but I'm not entierly sure about that... Because there's two way to display those diatrics, and it depends on the fonts (either you got a glyph for the basic latin letter, and a glyph for the diatric, and the software combines the two, or, and it's the more widespread method, because of compatiblity issues, you got a single glyph for each letter+diatric combinations).

Bottom line: I'd have to check to be sure.

Do you have an example that I could try? (With a screenshot of what it should look like, if possible )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-06-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #178
Alex73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Do you have an example that I could try? (With a screenshot of what it should look like, if possible )
Thank you for your fast answer.

I attached a photo and a print screen with some info about romanian special caracters that i found on this site:

http://www.secarica.ro/html/font_encoding.html

There are some info there but the site is in romanian ...

Thank you very much for your time. It will be a major improvment for romanian users, to be able to see our language displayed corectly..

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06072010199.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	54698   Click image for larger version

Name:	secarica.ro about romanian font.png
Views:	570
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	54699  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #179
Alex73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The default font should at least support part of the Romanian diatrics, but I'm not entierly sure about that... Because there's two way to display those diatrics, and it depends on the fonts (either you got a glyph for the basic latin letter, and a glyph for the diatric, and the software combines the two, or, and it's the more widespread method, because of compatiblity issues, you got a single glyph for each letter+diatric combinations).

Here is a possible clue to that issue:

Romanian language using the Latin alphabet, which in terms of characters and their graphic representation is simple and direct: each character is matched - or should I match - a single gluph with a graphical representation of the graphical representation and name directly related to abstract descriptions of the tables in Unicode encoding.

Altogether, besides invariably repertoire of ISO / IEC 646-Irv (equivalent character set known as the US-ASCII), provided that a font is compatible with the Romanian language is that it contain Unicode characters whose code glife and names are as follows:

caracter

nume Unicode

cod Unicode

nume glifă

Ă

Latin capital letter A with breve

Abreve

ă

Latin small letter A with breve

abreve

Â

Latin capital letter A with circumflex

00C2

Acircumflex

â

Latin small letter A with circumflex

00E2

acircumflex

Î

Latin capital letter I with circumflex

00CE

Icircumflex

î

Latin small letter I with circumflex

00EE

icircumflex

Ș

Latin capital letter S with comma below

Scommaaccent

ș

Latin small letter S with comma below

scommaaccent

Ț

Latin capital letter T with comma below

021A

uni021A

ț

Latin small letter T with comma below

021B

uni021B

Sorry for the last part, dunno how to format it like a table.

Hope this helps

TY

Alex
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #180
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, Caecilia (the Kindle's default Serif font (used in the books, and it's also the default font in the browser)) is indeed missing some combined diatrics. (It does support some diatrics though, ie. the few ones used in french ^^).

Good news is, both Droid & DejaVu have them all (AFAICT).

So, with this font hack, and some particular sets, for example, Museo or DejaVu (And possibly other fonts, I didn't check more than that, if you want me to check a particular font before trying it out, don't hesitate to ask ), you should have a font supporting most (if not all) of the diatrics needed for romanian script.

EDIT: Scratch that, Droid Serif is missing the two 'T comma below' glyphs.

EDIT²: But DejaVu does. I'll attach a DejaVu set to this post .

If you prefer the 'Serif Slab' look of the default font to a classic Serif, the Museo Slab set in my third post should support the needed combined diatrics.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DejaVu.zip (2.42 MB, 640 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-06-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet