Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
frandavid100
frandavid100 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
What's the use of the sleep mode?

Hi all, since this is my first post here

There's something I've been wondering since I got my 505: I take it the device does not actually consume any power at all to keep a page onscreen, so... is there any real advantage, in terms of saving power, to turn the screen off after an hour?
frandavid100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that it may help prevent ghosting.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, frandavid100.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Welcome - the other use of sleep mode is as a keyboard lock. With mine, if I just close the cover at night as I put it down on my bedside table, in the morning I'll find that the cats have walked over it in the night, pressed some of the buttons.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
frandavid100

Sorry, found the answer here. Should have searched before, that was bad practice.

I actually like having my display on so I would prefer the slider to lock the keys rather than blank the screen, so I suggested it as a feature in the PRSCustomizer thread. Unless of course keeping the same page onscreen produces ghosting, which I'm not sure is possible in this kind of screens...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
There have been some discussions, e.g.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22959
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
frandavid100

But if I understand that thread right, it only mentions that multiple page turns can produce ghosting temporarily, not that keeping the same page onscreen for long periods of time can "burn out" the screen.

Is that right?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frandavid100 View Post
But if I understand that thread right, it only mentions that multiple page turns can produce ghosting temporarily, not that keeping the same page onscreen for long periods of time can "burn out" the screen.

Is that right?
Yes, that's correct. The "VizPlex" screen used by the 505 is, however, relatively immune to ghosting, unlike the "1st generation" eInk screen of the 500, which ghosted pretty badly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote