Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thanks for the link and reply.

I had some trouble producing Prince PDF from an EPUB file without embedded font, until I realized that the PDF was using a different font than the one on my Linux, a font whose metrics were slightly larger, and of course, it spoilt everything... With your last EPUB, everything is fine.

To provide users with a consistent display on all kinds of supports, I think it should be a good practice to embed a font.

Again thanks for your help and demo.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hi Roger and Jbacelar;

Sorry but I'm affraid the the embedded font, as is implemented, it won't work on a .svg file. In fact, in the essai.epub that Jbacelar attached the font doesn't work. In order that an embedded font works on a svg file, you must add -in the svg statements, the following definition:

Code:
    <defs>
       <style type="text/css">
         <![CDATA[
           @font-face {
              font-family: "Charis";
              src: url("../Fonts/Charis-SIL2.ttf");
           }
         ]]>
       </style>
    </defs>
You should have in your .css file the following:

Code:
@font-face {
}

body {
    font-family: "Charis"; /* this only is neccesary if you want the embbed font for all the text in your ebook; if you only want the embedded font in your .svg, then don't include this declaration */
}
and in your .xhtml file:

Spoiler:

Code:
<body>
<div>
  <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 578 740" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
    <defs>
       <style type="text/css">
         <![CDATA[
           @font-face {
           }
         ]]>
       </style>
    </defs>

<image height="670" width="578" x="25" xlink:href="../Images/arbre2.png"/>

<text font-family="Charis" style="font-size: 24px">
      <tspan x="20" y="250">Ainsi il avançait toujours sans</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="285">rencontrer le moindre être vivant jusqu’à ce</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="320">que dans la grande cour d’honneur, il se</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="355">trouva en face d’un soldat appuyé sur sa</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="390">lance et la tête penchée la poitrine. Au</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="425">premier moment, le Prince pensa qu’il</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="460">ne vivait plus, il fut vite détrompé car</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="495">ses joues étaient fraîches et rouges;</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="530">il n'était qu'endormi.</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="565">Il y avait dans cette cour</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="600">d’autres sentinelles aussi</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="640">immobiles et muettes, une rangée de hallebardiers</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="675">s’appuyaient contre un mur, et, devant eux, étendu</tspan>

<tspan x="20" y="710">sur le gazon, le sergent, qui les commandait</tspan>
    </text>
  </svg>
</div>
</body>

As you can see, the text should be written by using the tags <tspan></tspan> and in the <text> tag must be defined the styles of the font (font-size; font-family; font-color; font-weight; etc., etc.). The positioning of the text must be defined with <tspan> but font-styles must be defined once, at the beginning, with the <text> tag.

I attach a new essai.epub so you can study the code better.

Regards.
Rubén

UPDATE: if you want to convert the .epub in .azw3 you should replace:

Code:
<text font-family="Charis" style="font-size: 24px">
with

Code:
<text font-family="Charis" font-size="24">
In fact, this last form works for both, .epub and .azw3 so should be preferable to use this sintax. And I think that is better to use a font-size of 22 instead of 24 (to me, it looks better).
Attached Files
File Type: epub new essai with embedded font.epub (303.2 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 04-22-2015 at 06:03 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
In fact, in the essai.epub that Jbacelar attached the font doesn't work.
My epub works perfectly in ADE (2 and 4) and Calibre viewer.

View attachments, and all the covers (V.2) of epubs I uploaded here, in MobileRead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura1.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	137541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura2.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	137542  
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #19
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
My epub works perfectly in ADE (2 and 4) and Calibre viewer.

View attachments, and all the covers (V.2) of epubs I uploaded here, in MobileRead.
Hi Jbacelar:

I don't dispute that you can see the font on those programs. But if you open your .epub with -for example- Sigil or with Kindle Previewer; you won't be able to see the font Charis SIL.

The correct way to add a custom font (in a .svg image) is as I said in my previous post Also you can read this old post mine:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51&postcount=9

But is not my invention that code Please, read this:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.c...age-on-my-site

and:

http://nimbupani.com/about-fonts-in-svg.html

Of course; you always can consult:

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/fonts.html#SVGFontsOverview

By using <defs> inside <svg> tags you can be sure that your custom font will be showed in any reader that supports svg.

Regards

UPDATE: Please, use another font instead of Charis (for example "Fontin") and tell me if your ADE can show it with your method; my ADE can't. Like Charis is similar to Times, maybe you are watching Times in ADE and not Charis; for this reason I ask you do the try with a font like "Fontin".

Last edited by RbnJrg; 04-22-2015 at 09:08 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #20
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hi Jbacelar:

I don't dispute that you can see the font on those programs. But if you open your .epub with -for example- Sigil or with Kindle Previewer; you won't be able to see the font Charis SIL.

UPDATE: Please, use another font instead of Charis (for example "Fontin") and tell me if your ADE can show it with your method; my ADE can't. Like Charis is similar to Times, maybe you are watching Times in ADE and not Charis; for this reason I ask you do the try with a font like "Fontin".

Well, I do not dispute your solution is pure orthodoxy.
But:
1- I insist, mine works perfectly in ADE (see attached).
2- The font CharisSil retouched by JSWolf, is perfectly distinct from the Times font.
3- Please! Kindle Previewer transforms previously epubs in mobis, and we are here in the epub subforum.
4- Currently, for epubs, ¿The orthodoxy is not ADE?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	essai clean.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	137546   Click image for larger version

Name:	essai with CharisSil.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	137547   Click image for larger version

Name:	essai with fontin.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	137548  
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #21
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

This tired soldier of mine got a lot of powerful assistance.

Thanks to both of you for your kind help. Before this thread I did not manage to display it properly and I learnt a lot of useful things along the way.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
1- I insist, mine works perfectly in ADE (see attached).
RbnJrg is right, your code only works because Charis SIL is installed on your computer. If you delete it from your Windows fonts folder, the text will be rendered in a different font.

BTW, here's another working example, that uses the same font referencing method that RbnJrg suggests.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
your code only works because Charis SIL is installed on your computer. If you delete it from your Windows fonts folder, the text will be rendered in a different font.

Doitsu sorry, but that's not true.
In my Windows is not installed Fontin font, and... (see the corresponding attached)
Also in my Pocketbook reader all these tests are fine.

To finish this matter, I now have uninstalled Charis Sil, I have restarted the computer, and I insist: everything works correctly.

Last edited by jbacelar; 04-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #24
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Doitsu sorry, but that's not true.
In my Windows is not installed Fontin font, and... (see the corresponding attached)
Apparently, I missed the updated version (essai with embedded font.epub) that you must have attached sometimes yesterday to this post.

This version does indeed work with all ADE versions.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #25
roger64
Wizard

@Doitsu

I tried your example above. I added this rectangle above the image tag in cover.xhtml

Code:
<rect x="1" y="1" width="598" height="798"
      style="fill: none; stroke: black;"/>
I could see that last letter of the second word (Magnum) was partly out of the screen. I reduced the font-size in the svg image from 150px to 130px (see joint screenshoot) and it looks OK.

Once corrected, I of course suppress the rectangle which is here only for checking purpose.
Note: inserting the rectangle directly in the svg image gives the same result.

As my experience with svg is quite short, did I do something wrong?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen.png
Views:	213
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	137603  

Last edited by roger64; 04-24-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: checking
Old 04-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
As my experience with svg is quite short, did I do something wrong?
No. AFAIK, everything renders as expected.