Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I think 6 is a very good number. Also, because you can turn in books early, 6 is very reasonable. The waits may not be as long and, if people cancel their card because of the 6 count, that would also be good for me because those wait times will go down.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
At our library you better believe they care who is using the card they issued to you. You have to bring in a photo ID and proof of your address to get your card. They need to know who has their books, who to bill for late fees if you don't return a book (physical books from the library that is). The policy on ebooks is no different. Only the person who was issued the card is allowed to use it and borrow any books with it.

Of course there is probably no way they could enforce it for ebooks, unless both of you borrow a book with IPs across country. But I'm going to guess that they probably don't check IPs to even notice that.

But I'm pretty certain that all libraries who issue cards have the same policy about not letting others use it.
Hmm...Interesting. My library does require a photo ID and proof of address to get the card initially, so that they know who to bill in case of loss or damage. However, I know for a fact that my library, at least doesn't care who is actually using the card--they only care that the person who's name is on the card is responsible if something should happen to the checked out item.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does it allow non-residents loan privilleges?
Yes they do. I have been registered with them for about 6 months and they have a VERY large selection of books, probably the largest I have seen. Also, they have multiple copies of each book so I have never had a problem getting a book I have wanted. I would say they are the highest fees for non-residents, but I personally think it is worth it.

Here's information from their site:

Fee cards are available to anyone residing outside of our service area. Fee card privileges include:
Access to our circulating material on the shelf
Remote access to databases
Ability to take free technology classes in person or online
Access to computer use in any of our locations
Ability to place holds on ebooks (not physical items)
Reserve a meeting room or Main Library study room
Fee cards are non-refundable and are available for 3 months ($75), 6 months ($100) or for one year ($125).
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I let my nonresident FLP card expire last month, and now I think I won't bother renewing. Six is not enough--I had run into problems with only ten . The reason, of course, is that you can't predict when holds may suddenly become available. Not all books can be returned early (e.g., wma audiobooks).
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The three libraries I use most have large checkout limits: 30 - 25 - 20.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Six is good for me. I've never taken out all ten at a time. I really like the PFL and give them an extra $50 donation each year as well.

The Chicago Public Library only gives me three out at a time, and only three holds.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Chicago Public Library kicked reciprocal borrowers off ebooks a couple years ago. My suburban library allows 5 check-outs and 5 holds. Obviously, our family had to show proof of residency to get the library cards, but I have control of the 3 cards (for my husband, my daughter and me). So I can checkout 15 at a time and have 15 on hold. My daughter (age 15) doesn't read ebooks (and doesn't check pbooks out of the library, has to have a NEW copy), and I recognize what my husband would be interested in.

Wait lists are relatively short: I can usually get in within the first 5. I rarely have 15 holds. But one month, I was #13 on the waitlist, and the library quickly bought 7 copies, so I didn't wait very long.

My library does not have a lot of books that I am interested in checking out. They have mostly romances, but very light on political or nonfiction bestsellers. I asked the librarian about this, and she indicated it was because a lot of publishers refused to sell to libraries. I checked out a book on Mandela the other day, and told my husband the library would be interested he checked that out in the midst of the romances he checked out!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I think 6 is fine. It seems like people checking out a large number of books (and keeping them checked out for a long time) needs some sort of solution?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I think 6 is fine. It seems like people checking out a large number of books (and keeping them checked out for a long time) needs some sort of solution?
2 books, 2 weeks
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
My library does not have a lot of books that I am interested in checking out. They have mostly romances, but very light on political or nonfiction bestsellers. I asked the librarian about this, and she indicated it was because a lot of publishers refused to sell to libraries. I checked out a book on Mandela the other day, and told my husband the library would be interested he checked that out in the midst of the romances he checked out!
Seems odd as overdrive has 41962 books if you search for political. Oh well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmm, a lot of people have already basically answered for me.

My library couldn't care less who uses them, and it would be very difficult to enforce, both for ebooks and for the self-checkout lines. Also, they are hardly going to memorize each customer so they can quiz people "hey I know you and this isn't your card!!" Worst comes to worst, I would tell them I am picking up their books for them.

I couldn't care less what their policy is anyway. As long as I have permission from my friends, I don't see why anyone else should care.

And at least at the library by my school, they have a thing for listing the "authorized users" who can pick up your interlibrary loan books for you. (this is before they actually started charging for such loans, but that's a rant for another day.) So I feel justified in acting as if this is the same.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I would say they are the highest fees for non-residents, but I personally think it is worth it. ...
Fee cards are non-refundable and are available for 3 months ($75), 6 months ($100) or for one year ($125).
I think I found the highest priced non-resident card yet last night at Oak Park, IL:

"What if I live outside Oak Park?

Anyone who has a valid Metropolitan Library System card, a Chicago Public Library card, or other Illinois library card may use our resources. Registration may be required on your first visit to the Oak Park Public Library. To receive full Oak Park benefits, patrons may purchase a card for an annual fee of $395.21."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The Chicago Public Library only gives me three out at a time, and only three holds.
The Chicago Public Library gives six checkouts at a time, but only three holds. I'd honestly rather it be the reverse with as long as wait times are for certain books though. Dan Brown's "Inferno" had a list of 420 when I had a fleeting thought of not buying it and just borrowing it. I laughed and moved on to Amazon hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Hmm...Interesting. My library does require a photo ID and proof of address to get the card initially, so that they know who to bill in case of loss or damage. However, I know for a fact that my library, at least doesn't care who is actually using the card--they only care that the person who's name is on the card is responsible if something should happen to the checked out item.

Shari
And it looks like they eased up a bit on those rules and my library is ok with others using your card now. I found this last night about the Chicago Public Library (which honestly surprised me):

"Rights and responsibilities are not transferable. Unauthorized use of another person’s library card number without that person’s permission is expressly forbidden and will be subject to prosecution."
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You used to be able to get 10???

Well, even 6 is still more than my library. Count your blessings.
Blessings? My local library here in Germany allows me to have up to 99 ebooks on loan and to have up to ten reserved on the waiting list. It costs 10 € p.a.
While you can probably manage with six books at the same time I wouldn't really call it generous. Obviously still better than nothing for people who have no local alternative.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Blessings? My local library here in Germany allows me to have up to 99 ebooks on loan and to have up to ten reserved on the waiting list. It costs 10 € p.a.
While you can probably manage with six books at the same time I wouldn't really call it generous. Obviously still better than nothing for people who have no local alternative.
Very well, then, you have even more blessings. This is the most generous offering I have heard of anywhere. (If there is somewhere even more generous, feel free to correct me, peoples.)

I get the impression that that isn't in the usual way of things, though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Orange County Public library in Florida allows 20 at a time.
Yep, 20 at Denver Public Library as well, but why would I ever have more than an handful checked out.....can't read them all at once...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote