Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: iPad mini retina or regular iPad?
Definitely the iPad Mini retina 34 56.67%
Definitely the regular iPad 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #136
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
And they are justified. If iPad mini Retina cost $250, the narrow colour gamut might be more acceptable. But at $400, almost twice the price of a Nexus 7 whose screen does not have that deficiency?
Bottom line, at least in my case: Apple could have had hundreds of dollars from me, but because of the narrow colour gamut, they will likely get nothing from me. There may be many potential buyers like myself. For now, I'll just settle for Nexus 7, instead of an iPad mini, as my secondary tablet. If Apple commits another gaffe of this sort in future, combined with overblown pricing, I might settle for an Android device as my primary tablet, too.
Fair enough. I'm just pointing out that focusing on one deficiency and ignoring the many advantages -- much faster SOC, faster wifi, 14 LTE bands, better front and rear cameras, 326 dpi display -- sometimes makes one lose sight of all the good points about the mini. There will always be positives and negatives with any device. Using the narrow color gamut as THE deciding factor in purchasing a mini is a perfectly valid criteria to use if it's very important to you. I would say that a substantial portion of the iPad mini buying public would probably not place as much importance on it as you do, though. I mean, it's not as if the mini has a TN panel instead of IPS It's still a good display that is superior to the display on last year's mini, and that will be more than enough for most people, notwithstanding the much faster SOC, faster wifi, etc. In fact, Anand from Anandtech -- the reviewer that was one of the first to point out the retina mini's narrower color gamut -- ended his review by saying he would choose the mini over the Air despite the few shortcomings it had.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #137
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What do you mean 63% gamut ?
As for increased brightness, the new mini is brighter than the old one according to independent tests. Not that I care much for max brightness as I use my screen at 30% in normal home conditions. 15% is enough for me when reading at night.
As for power consumption, it's only as good as the battery life. and mine lasts 12 hours (and more if I only read on it) which is very good for a tablet (not as good compared to a dedicated e-reader though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's nothing "bold" about my statements, they're the truth: the screen on the ipad mini is subpar because it offers a narrow 63% gamut when the competition, at half the price, offers 100% gamut, increased brightness and lower power consumption.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #138
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What does that mean ? how does the new mini resemble the old Ipad 1 ??? the 1 is not even Retina, what are you talking about ? Seriously.

As for washed out colors. I have a few comic scans that are rather poor looking on my computer but when I load them on my Mini they look so much better which is good news for me cause if they had looked on my Ipad the same they look on my computer, the experience of reading them would have been spoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
It can be reasonably feared that the iPad mini Retina screen would resemble the iPad 1 screen more than the iPad 3/4/Air screen. Sorry, it just does not seem feasible to pay upwards of $399 for a tablet in late 2013 whose screen properties might remind you of tablets from a couple of generations ago.

I don't know who those folks are but check out this notorious french high tech website test of the Ipad Mini Retina...
Out of 29 tablets in the 7 to 8 inch category, the Mini Retina is simply number 1 with an 8.7 out of 10 score which is the highest.
Even the Air does not score so well in its category where it is 3rd with an 8.0 score (which out of 40 tested tablets is very good too)

http://www.01net.com/tests-comparati...ormat-287.html

Quote:
"Folks" like Anandtech and DisplayMate? Right, they really don't know what they're talking about...

Last edited by Quexos; 11-26-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #139
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
What do you mean 63% gamut ?
The sRGB gamut is the range of colors that you're bound to find in nature (give or take), but is still narrower than the range of colors the human eye can discern. Colors outside the sRGB gamut are quite saturated, so less abundant in nature. Anyway, with a narrower gamut a color that falls outside the range of colors the device can represented will be shifted and will become a different color. If you look at the mini's gamut, it is missing most of the saturated colors (towards the edges of the triangle), so colors will always be subdued, simply because the device is incapable of representing the more vivid section of the spectrum.

This can be clearly seen in the pictures posted in some other thread, where it is compared against the air - red and blue are specially poor on the mini, green not so much.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #140
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
The sRGB gamut is the range of colors that you're bound to find in nature (give or take), but is still narrower than the range of colors the human eye can discern. Colors outside the sRGB gamut are quite saturated, so less abundant in nature. Anyway, with a narrower gamut a color that falls outside the range of colors the device can represented will be shifted and will become a different color. If you look at the mini's gamut, it is missing most of the saturated colors (towards the edges of the triangle), so colors will always be subdued, simply because the device is incapable of representing the more vivid section of the spectrum.

This can be clearly seen in the pictures posted in some other thread, where it is compared against the air - red and blue are specially poor on the mini, green not so much.
I was unaware of the iRetina Mini color problems.
My wife had suggested getting one for her.

afv011
Your knowledge is sharp.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #141
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
ipad Mini (retina) or regular iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I was unaware of the iRetina Mini color problems.
My wife had suggested getting one for her.

afv011
Your knowledge is sharp.
There is no problem with the Retina Mini. The Gamut range or coverage was mentioned on a review, but that's it. And has been taken out of proportion by some, even by folks that don't even own one.

Don't let too in depth reviews scare you. The Mini is perfectly fine for day to day tasks. I own a Retina Mini and Air and they both are great.

Last edited by jocampo; 11-27-2013 at 09:55 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #142
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Of course, it does depend what screen you're viewing those pictures on, though, right?
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #143
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Of course, it does depend what screen you're viewing those pictures on, though, right?
Exactly. If you have a monitor with poor color reproduction, you might not see a big difference. I'm into photography and I know a thing or two about color (for this very reason, I have a monitor with 12-bit depth and 96% Adobe RGB gamut, which is significantly larger than sRGB). So your point is very valid, some people might look at the pictures on the web and not see much of a difference, but when you look at the device, you can clearly see the lifeless colors, especially blues and reds.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #144
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
There is no problem with the Retina Mini.
Well, it depends on how you define problem. If you're happy to pay top dollar for a subpar screen compared to the competition, then yes, there is no problem. If you're happy to have your photos show subdued colors and color shifts, then yes, there is no problem.

Just like there was no problem with the antenna, just people holding it wrong. Maybe we are looking at it wrong?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #145
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly. If you have a monitor with poor color reproduction, you might not see a big difference. I'm into photography and I know a thing or two about color (for this very reason, I have a monitor with 12-bit depth and 96% Adobe RGB gamut, which is significantly larger than sRGB). So your point is very valid, some people might look at the pictures on the web and not see much of a difference, but when you look at the device, you can clearly see the lifeless colors, especially blues and reds.
My wife is a physician/surgeon in field of sight.
Perceptions of graduations of color are important as indicators of problems I understand little of.

I similar to Goethe look mainly at colors of minerals. Not so important as above but still meaningful. I must allow for a slight color blindness in 1 area.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #146
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Well, it depends on how you define problem. If you're happy to pay top dollar for a subpar screen compared to the competition, then yes, there is no problem. If you're happy to have your photos show subdued colors and color shifts, then yes, there is no problem.

Just like there was no problem with the antenna, just people holding it wrong. Maybe we are looking at it wrong?
It is beyond me why the moderators let you troll over here in the iOS forum. You don't own any iThingies, and you never will. You only show up to argue and be a jerk. You are nothing but an Android fanboy.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #147
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is beyond me why the moderators let you troll over here in the iOS forum. You don't own any iThingies, and you never will. You only show up to argue and be a jerk. You are nothing but an Android fanboy.
In this case he definitely provides a valuable service for prospective buyers. Rather than jumping right into it people will have a serious look at the new Mini in a store and then decide if they feel the screen is good enough for them or not.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #148
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I wasn't aware we had to own products before we could talk about them. You've made similar comments in my direction before. Unless you are personally making iPads then you don't need to be sensitive. I am planning picking up an iPad today (I started the thread) and I for one am happy to hear dissenting views. Apple's pricing practices border on usury so if I'm going to pay outrageous amounts of money for middling upgrades then I want to sure I'm getting at least decent quality.
From a soon to be self-hating Apple owner.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #149
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Well, as long as I simply express my opinion, no matter how much that opinion irks you, I'm free to do so. And what's so bad about telling people who might be considering a mini that the screen is significantly poorer than that of the N7 or KF? It's not like I'm telling porkies, I'm just saying it the way it is.

And I used to have an ipad 2 until not too long ago, although that thing was insufferable - glad I got rid of it.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #150
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Well, as long as I simply express my opinion, no matter how much that opinion irks you, I'm free to do so. And what's so bad about telling people who might be considering a mini that the screen is significantly poorer than that of the N7 or KF? It's not like I'm telling porkies, I'm just saying it the way it is.

And I used to have an ipad 2 until not too long ago, although that thing was insufferable - glad I got rid of it.
Your efforts are welcome. Please continue.