Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #316
Jeanphi
Jeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to beholdJeanphi is a splendid one to behold

Device: Former user of ZX81. Kindle e ink
A basic question

I'm trying to learn how to customize a little bit my Kindle, but I am really a beginner.

I have the 5.1.0 firmware. I jailbroke the Kindle and add the Kindlets-jailbreak.

Now, if I upgrade my Kindle to 5.1.2, will I have to jaibreak it again ?

Or can I install JBPatch just after the upgrade ?

Thank you in advance,

Jeanphi
Jeanphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #317
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanphi View Post
I'm trying to learn how to customize a little bit my Kindle, but I am really a beginner.

I have the 5.1.0 firmware. I jailbroke the Kindle and add the Kindlets-jailbreak.

Now, if I upgrade my Kindle to 5.1.2, will I have to jaibreak it again ?

Or can I install JBPatch just after the upgrade ?

Thank you in advance,

Jeanphi
Short answer: you can run the upgrade. Both the jailbreak and the kindlet jailbreak will be kept, so no need to uninstall or reinstall them. You can install JBPatch before or after the upgrade, it will be kept as well.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #318
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

Device: kindle touch
[QUOTE=ixtab;2044458]Version 2.1.1

Localization
JBPatch is completely localizable. However, no localizations (except for english, of course) are included by default. You can download (and upload!) localizations for the UI, and for individual patches, from the Wiki page. At the time of writing, I posted the german localizations for almost everything. Please: if you like JBPatch and want to support it, create and contribute a localization for your native language - thank you!

Documentation / Contributions
The primary source of documentation is now this Wiki page. The intention of that page is to consolidate the information contained in this thread in an organized and easily-accessible manner. In other words: everybody is more than welcome to modify the Wiki page and to improve its usefulness, by adding or clarifying topics, or by contributing new patches and localizations.

The Wiki page and this thread are meant to complement each other: think of the thread as the place where ongoing topics are discussed, while the Wiki page serves as a "one-stop-shop" for information. IMO, this merges the best of both worlds: cutting-edge, but sometimes "chaotic" discussions in the forums (chaotic in the sense that information tends to get lost, or difficult to find, as the discussion progresses), plus easily-accessible information on the Wiki. Of course, you are welcome to propagate important changes in the Wiki to this thread, and vice-versa.

Ixtab ,

If you can help me a bit, I could update those localizations to Portuguese / PT-BR. I just didn´t figured it out how , yet. Could you send me the english one ?

Thanks

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.
TulseLuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #319
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulseLuper View Post
Ixtab ,

If you can help me a bit, I could update those localizations to Portuguese / PT-BR. I just didn´t figured it out how , yet. Could you send me the english one ?

Thanks
It's simple: just hit "Sync" on the System tab of the UI, then plug the Kindle to your computer. You will see some "*-en.txt", these are the localization files. Copy them to "*-pt.txt" and edit them.

You may want to start with com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt , as it contains the localization for the UI itself. For this particular file, it is enough to close the UI on the Kindle and open it again, to immediately see the changes.
For the patch localizations, you need to restart the framework for new localizations to come into effect, so you may want to translate them in batches, and only restart the framework once.

Thanks for the effort!

Edit for future readers: please make sure that the files are saved in UTF-8 encoding.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-31-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #320
TulseLuper
Connoisseur
TulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with othersTulseLuper plays well with others

locales pt-br

If you can double check if i didn´t mess anything up ;

----

but i could not apply them on my kt yet. I´ve placed them into /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch/

Is that right ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip locales pt-br.zip (5.4 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #321
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
If you can double check if i didn´t mess anything up ;

----

but i could not apply them on my kt yet. I´ve placed them into /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch/

Is that right ?
Looks good, yes. Why couldn't you apply them? If you have your device localized, it should work like a breeze.

For the TTS patch, you should have already found a pt one on the device (if you're actually using the device in portuguese, that is) where the keys are more verbose and read something like
Code:
female=Femino (inglês)
male=Masculino (inglês)
Whether you include this, or the short version, is a matter of taste, but all the default localizations for TTS come with this hint, as it may be helpful for users.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #322
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

yes , i realized that just after uploading . I think this one - with hint , is better !

Well i should install a patch for localizations ?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #323
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Well i should install a patch for localizations ?
Sorry, I couldn't parse that - please rephrase.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #324
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

hehehe ...

All right .

Where i went wrong? Where should i place these files now ? Inside Jbpatcher folder? Should I replace those en with these pt now ?

Restarted framework few times and nothing happened ...

Yes , my kt is working pt-br . - is that what you mean as localized ?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #325
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
hehehe ...

All right .

Where i went wrong? Where should i place these files now ? Inside Jbpatcher folder? Should I replace those en with these pt now ?

Restarted framework few times and nothing happened ...

Yes , my kt is working pt-br . - is that what you mean as localized ?
Yes, you should simply copy the files into the same directory, they will peacefully coexist with the english files. This should work without a problem, but just in case, I'll try to set my device to portuguese to see if there is anything wrong...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #326
ixtab
(offline)

Ok, it works properly once the files are fixed.
Your files were in the wrong encoding (jbpatch bitches about this in the log file... Check the log file on the systems tab).

The files should be in UTF-8, not the stone age Windows encoding. The encoding can be selected in every decent text editor.

Anyway... here's the command that fixed it:
Code:
for i in *.txt; do iconv -f WINDOWS-1252 -t UTF-8 -o $i.2 $i; mv $i $i.wrong; mv $i.2 $i; done

Last edited by ixtab; 07-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #327
TulseLuper
Connoisseur

thanks !

worked great now ! Really sorry for the idiotic issue...

I´ll review the translation once more and later i can update the wiki .

seeya

Last edited by TulseLuper; 07-25-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #328
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
Hi, my KT laid for few weeks not used. Now I installed jbpatch 2.1.1. I'm not sure if it's related to that but... I have on my KT "El Principito" - a self made mobi, converted from epub.. my primary dicitionary for spannish is Meriam Webster Spanish->English (bought from amazon) but I have downloaded as well their (amazon's) free spanish-spanish dictionary. When I mark a word in "el principito" it somehow doesn't recognize first letter, ie. "mucho" becomes "ucho", "momento" -> "omento" (and el Diccionario de la lengua espanola pops up). But when I read "el mundo" (created by calibre) whole words are marked and first dictionary is used. What could be the problem ?
I'm posting it here, because I think it was ok before jbpatch (I haven't read that book for some time though)
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #329
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
Hi, my KT laid for few weeks not used. Now I installed jbpatch 2.1.1. I'm not sure if it's related to that but... I have on my KT "El Principito" - a self made mobi, converted from epub.. my primary dicitionary for spannish is Meriam Webster Spanish->English (bought from amazon) but I have downloaded as well their (amazon's) free spanish-spanish dictionary. When I mark a word in "el principito" it somehow doesn't recognize first letter, ie. "mucho" becomes "ucho", "momento" -> "omento" (and el Diccionario de la lengua espanola pops up). But when I read "el mundo" (created by calibre) whole words are marked and first dictionary is used. What could be the problem ?
I'm posting it here, because I think it was ok before jbpatch (I haven't read that book for some time though)
It's very unlikely that this is caused by JBPatch, but you are the only person who can verify this. Uninstall JBPatch and see if the problem disappears. If it does, reinstall JBPatch and see if the problem reappears.

Only if both of these conditions hold, then JBPatch might be the culprit. In that case, please post back here.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #330
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
confirmed - it's not case of jbpatch
one interesting thing - disable special offers works even after uninstalling jbpatch 2.1.1
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks