Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
mastermx
mastermx began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
the conversion

There are so many diffirent ways of Converting your files. And i have a load of PDF files and manga. There are allot of programs reccomended for use such as Rastafarian, Je-comics and other programs.

So first i wanna ask, about my Book PDF's should i just load them streight into my PRS-500?

(It hasnt arrived yet but i wanna have the upperhand by being organised before it arrives.)

And the manga, i am currently converting it into PDF through JE-comics. but should i us rastafarian and which settings should i use on it. Because when i use rastafarian and JE it seems as if it makes the lines jagged.

so i just wanna generally know what you guys do when converting your files.
mastermx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
RE: PDF ebooks - not manga

MasterMX,

I haven't really gotten into manga or comix yet. However, I *DO* download PDF ebooks. And I've been porting several dozen of my favorite titles over to the PRS500.

I take the easiest way I know to do this. As I have Acrobat Professional, I open the PDF, save as HTML, open in BookDesigner and, after putting in page breaks at the start of each chapter, save to LRF. Works for me and I don't have to learn a new application. GAWD! Who *wants* to learn a whole new procedure! I've had to learn Paradox, MS Access, Delphi, C, C++, Visual Basic, Java, HTML, ASP, PHP, COBOL, RPG, MS WordBasic, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, FrontPage, Serif PagePlus, DrawPlus, GIMP InkScape and a vast array of other programs and languages! I do NOT want to have to learn any more than necessary!

No doubt they will develop a software app which will read my thoughts as I read a dead-tree book and transcribe direct to LRF format, some day. Until they do, I'll keep working on making my life as simple as possible. ;-)

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermx View Post
There are so many diffirent ways of Converting your files. And i have a load of PDF files and manga. There are allot of programs reccomended for use such as Rastafarian, Je-comics and other programs.

So first i wanna ask, about my Book PDF's should i just load them streight into my PRS-500?

(It hasnt arrived yet but i wanna have the upperhand by being organised before it arrives.)

And the manga, i am currently converting it into PDF through JE-comics. but should i us rastafarian and which settings should i use on it. Because when i use rastafarian and JE it seems as if it makes the lines jagged.

delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

If the PDF you want to convert is text based, then you can use pdf2html and then edit the html however you want and use either html2lrf or book designer to do the final conversion. If your PDF are graphic heavy, then you may need to get Acrobat to convert them. But anyway, pdf2html is your best bet for free text conversion of PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
mastermx

I really need help guys. I have alot of pdf files that are A4 sized, but the problem is that the font of the pdf files is amazingly small. so it is imposible to preview them on the prs-500 without cringing. please help.

also, is there a program that can crop a batch of jpeg files? does photoshop do that?
but currently my main concern is how to make my pdf's readable i spent the whole day experiementing and still to no avail.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Take a look at Rasterfarian, mastermx, see if it will do for your PDFs.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
mastermx

Yeah rastafarian is good so is book designer. but the problem is that my pdf has image files :S
Old 08-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I thought it worked on those too ... but then I haven't tried it so ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
mastermx

Yeh rastafarian works well on images, however my pdf has both writing and images. so i cannot increase font size
Old 08-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeh rastafarian works well on images, however my pdf has both writing and images. so i cannot increase font size
What you can try is pdf2lrf or pdftohtml and see how the results are. You may or may not be able to keep the images. Depends on the PDF.

These programs are part of libprs500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #10
mastermx

as for the manga i have the requires resizing i heard that comiclrf resizes and optimizes the manga. the problem i have with this app is that i dont understand how to use it.
i double click it and it automatically closes. i cant open it with active perl. and when i open it in the command prompt, it doesnt work.