Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
john85
john85 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle users - I need a huge favor

I am deciding whether to buy Kindle, and I have to make the decision in two days, because a friend of mine could bring it to me from the USA.
Main features and purpose of Kindle are well known.
But, apart from many ebooks, I have a large number of black and white comics and I am wondering if they could be read on Kindle. So I attached one page (converted to pdf for convenience) and I would kindly ask Kindle user to test it for me. I would like to know if the letters are too small to make the reading impossible (just ignore the language).

If it is not too much, a photo of the kindle displaying the sample page would be really helpful, but even a description would be highly appreciated.

http://rapidshare.com/files/343572019/MM.pdf.html
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CBKRUS71

Thank you!
john85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Gime me a sec...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cant download from rapidshare and the megaupload does not work... it says the file is unavailable
Old 01-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard

looks like RS is working now...
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard

It looks better on the screen shots than it actually is. In portrait the writing visible though small. In portrait mode it looks much better. This is on my Kindle 2. Maybe someone with a DX can also check it out for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-48078.gif
Views:	316
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	44609   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-48079.gif
Views:	264
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	44610  

Last edited by rcuadro; 01-30-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I was able to get it. I'm giving you a scan instead of a screen grab so you can see the page in relation to the Kindle's size. I can read it but if this is what you'll be reading most of the time, you may want to get a DX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test portrait.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	44612   Click image for larger version

Name:	test landscape.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	44613  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Great minds think alike!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Great minds think alike!
LOL! And we rotated the screens the same way
Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #9
john85
john85 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Guys, thank you for your effort! It looks to me that reading the comics on the Kindle is not perfect, but it is acceptable. I know that DX would be better choice, but at the moment I can afford only regular one.
So I am one step closer to ordering it.

Thanks again.
john85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
rcuadro
Wizard

I think the comics are good enough in landscape mode but then again I dont read comics and I dont know if not being able to see the entire page detracts from the story line or makes it loose some of the effect.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
If you want an ereader just for comics (like me) you may want to wait and save up for the DX. I haven't tried comics on the Kindle 2, but I tried it on a Sony PRS-505. These epaper screens are so crisp that you'll still be able to read the smallest text on them, but the strain of reading such small text got really annoying to me. I ended up returning the 505, got a Kindle DX and absolutely love it. The screen size is great... it can display an entire page in an easily readable size without having to turn to landscape mode.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
My sister into manga and she loves her KDX. The grey scale screen looks capable to give a nice range of depth to these kind of pictures. BTW she uses a software of some kind specifically designed for reading this stuff.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote