Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #46
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that Apple foces you to use iTunes to have to load music onto your iPod? And when someone figure out how to load music, Apple goes and creates a new firmware to change how music is installed. There is no need to be so closed. This is just really silly.
I use MediaMonkey with my iPod's, both my iPod Video and wifey's Nano. works just fine.

Dunno if MM works with the newer iShinies tho. Not that I'm coming down like a ton of bricks on Apple, I love the iShinys and would dearly love to have them. But my stupid phonesupplier won't let me upgrade my current phone until December 2010, due to some silly thing called a contract, whoever heard of such a silly thing.

Btw, I hate my Samsung Omnia... worst piece of crap ever!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #47
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah, sure Apple invented everytihng
I never said it invented everything. But it invented at least as many stuff as Sony and, more importantly, pushed many technologies in their early days to mainstream success. The graphical user interface, font rendering, USB, DVD writers, AAC, EFI, DisplayPort and in the near future LightPeak, all of that was adopted by Apple very early and benefitted from its support. Chances are if it wasn't for the popular iMac, USB would have needed much longer to supersede legacy connections such as RS232 or the parallel port. All-In-One PCs, mini PCs and notebooks were also significantly influenced by that company. The same trend can now be seen in the smartphone market as every other company is trying to copy the iPhone's success and hence its features.

I'm not exactly sure why I gave you such a detailed reply as it is pretty apparent that you don't have a frakkin clue of what you are talking about anyway.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #48
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2

To add to the off topic debate centering on Apple products. Last month figures were produced which stated that 37 million iPhones have been sold. This will undoubtedly increase immeasurably when the market is opened up in China, as that country is the largest consumer of mobile phone devices.

I remain 'stoooopid' for not only using Apple products but enjoying using them, which wasn't true about my usage of Windows computers or Sony Walkmen. Incidentally Sony ITrac was more intransigent than iTunes.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #49
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Interestingly, in the first days after its launch the iPhone supposedly only sold 5000 times in China. The reason for that is said to be the high price and the lack of Wifi. Still, the "immeasurable increase" in sales figures might take some time longer than originally thought.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Good luck with your iPhone. You do know tha AT&T is not a good network to go with because of the iPhone. It uses up too much bandwidth and thus the 3G is more like 1G.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #51
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Well I'm on T-Mobile Germany, so whatever.

By the way AT&T is a very good network for Apple to go with as it was the only one interested in the iPhone in 2007! I guess the guys at Verizon were too busy admiring themselves to see the potential in the device. Now they realized they fucked up and started this silly iDon't ad campain as a pathetic try to conceal their incompetence. As far as I know they also didn't accept Apple's App Store idea. I don't think Apple will switch to Verizon anytime soon.

Doesn't T-Mobile sell the iPhone too in the USA? I would think that they should have a pretty reliable network over there. Or was that in Canada? In Germany they are great: almost 100% coverage, great EDGE and UMTS coverage and speeds.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I'm not exactly sure why I gave you such a detailed reply as it is pretty apparent that you don't have a frakkin clue of what you are talking about anyway.
And obviously, you don't either.
While apple's influence on the mp3 or smatphone marcket is un-deniable. Their influence on the computer world ? Mac users are, just like us linux users, a small minority over the windows users.

Quote:
All-In-One PCs, mini PCs
While all in one brings apple to my mind, mini pc links with "eee"
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #53
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Their influence on the computer world ? Mac users are, just like us linux users, a small minority over the windows users.
Influence ≠ market share

Quote:
While all in one brings apple to my mind, mini pc links with "eee"
The G4 Cube was basically the first mini PC (here: PC = generally personal computer, not IBM-PC). After Apple released its even smaller Mac Mini in 2005, many PC makers switched from the usual shoebox form factor to copying the Mac Mini (e.g. Acer).

The eee brand was released only few years ago and was limited to netbooks until very recently. Even now, the eeeBox is only iconic for cheap nettops. It didn't contribute anything to the mini PC type and frankly it isn't a very special computer apart from its price. So you may associate mini PCs with the eeeBox, but mini PCs are not influenced by it. Instead, Asus created a new class of computers called netbooks and nettops. But equating nettops with mini PCs is like saying subnotebooks were the same as netbooks.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #54
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Influence ≠ market share
In a lot of way, way. i mean G4 cube ? never heard of it until you mentionned it. How can totally un-eard things have any kind kind of influence ? iPod does, becasue the peaple hears about it, and want a player "that looks like an iPod".
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #55
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Obviously when talking about Apple's influence on the industry I don't mean the end user but its competitors. Most end users don't really give a shit about anything anyway when it comes to PC stuff and simply buy what they like (or think they like), but it's the companies that look out for new ideas, for trends and for anything that can make them more attractive to the end user.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #56
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Can I make a question? Can't you say that you don't like the way iPhone and PC synchronize without being Apple-hater? I like iPhone interface, it's cute, but I miss the file transfer between PC and device I had at my PDA, that's all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #57
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
In that case Terisa you need one of these. :-)))

Calm down at the back, Windoze will still be there to keep you loading, erasing and reloading.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #58
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Can I make a question? Can't you say that you don't like the way iPhone and PC synchronize without being Apple-hater? I like iPhone interface, it's cute, but I miss the file transfer between PC and device I had at my PDA, that's all.
Sure, that's a perfectly legit argument to make.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #59
pan.sapiens
pan.sapiens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just to add my two cents, I am finding the iphone the most difficult device to use I have ever encountered. Nice hardware, nice UI, locked down to the point of uselessness. I loaded this site to try to get info about getting text files onto the device. Should I really have to look up somthing that basic? Getting music on was a nightmare. The easiest way to get the music I wanted (as opposed to a random selection of songs) on the device was to "check" the songs I wanted in itunes, create a "smart playlist" matching only checked songs with a text filter matching none of the songs (i.e. random gibberish -a filter is required, even if you don't want one), and then sync the device to that playlist. This is meant to be an improvement on drag and drop??? WTF?!? Just works? Just doesn't.
pan.sapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #60
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Open iTunes, select your iPhone and in the overview select "manage music and videos manually" (or something like that). Now you can simply drag'n'drop music and videos from your media library. Just works for people who can read.