Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We don't know that there's going to BE a commercial release. What's been demonstrated is a prototype, and apparently there's a pilot study going on in Japan, but it's far from certain that it will ever be released as a commercial product.
And if it does get to market it will be aimed at the corporate document management system like the Ricoh eQuill:

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/ri...writer-tablet/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Sony Xperia tablets used to have the Android Reader app installed. But I checked and the product images no longer show that. Of course it is still available from Google Play (and iOS App Store), and the Android app has been recently updated (Oct 8).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Judging by all the comments, does it really matter?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd like to have stayed with Sony and I've considered picking up a refurbed T2 on eBay as backup, but I know I won't like it as much as the 950 or 350 and I'm already overdeviced. Knock wood, my 950 and two 350s still have a lot of life in them and when they're dead, I'll have to see what's around.
Actually the T3 is very nice and has a slightly better screen than the x50s. The UI is better than the x50s, too (more font options). Sure, the x50 case is aluminum and the T2 is plastic, but it's still very nice. However, if you run PRS+, the x50s are much better because of being able to store books in directories instead of collections.

Anyway, if you're not bothered about a front-light, consider a T2 if you can get it cheap. It's much nicer than a T1.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #50
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Actually the T3 is very nice...
Did you mean to say T2?
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #51
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Did you mean to say T2?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #52
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Why is the T2 better than the T1.. just curious?

buttons are different? meh
evernote account? - not used. wifi off to save juice

no audio -- don't really use it on my T1.

Thanks, as I still own the T1 with extended warranty from Sony refurb. .don't know what they will do if this T1 breaks.. fix it? or replace it?
lol
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #53
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
F.U.D. FACTOR my .02 worth

SONY Store offers freebie.... a big dose of FUD. (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt)

I think it was just a "web-master" lol doing their job.. why advertise a bunch of discontinued items or things not in stock?

Granted I still 'like' my dated PRS-T1. I don't mind dropping 100 or so yearly to update if worth it...

It is pretty cheap per month if you calculate that out.

====

Look at the screenshots from tonight.

1. You can drill down and see an option to look at Tablets & eReaders.
but when you get to that section there are no valid inventory options for eReaders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.50.24 PM.png
Views:	164
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	114131

2. Do a search for PRS-T1 and PRS-T2

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.48.11 PM.png
Views:	185
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	114130

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.53.11 PM.png
Views:	158
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	114132

3. Goto another site "More Sony Sites" Upper right corner.

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.56.11 PM.png
Views:	172
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	114133

4. Go to the Reader Store
https://ebookstore.sony.com/

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 8.57.25 PM.png
Views:	169
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	114134
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #54
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Why is the T2 better than the T1.. just curious?
buttons are different? meh............................

Actually, I found the "new" buttons on the T2 one of the best/most interesting features !
I found the way they almost sink into the case very .... pleasing, I suppose .

But, as they say, simple things ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #55
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
Sony has made some very odd decisions in recent years, one of them being their very disappointing apparent exit from the U.S. market with their elegant, light, compact readers.

But I am now more concerned that dedicated e-readers of any brand may be failing to capture the hearts and minds of all but a small core of hardcore fans. I personally do not understand why so many people seem to prefer reading on backlit phones or tablets. (Well, it was also always a mystery to me why anyone would watch TV or movies on a phone or tablet, or why anyone wanted to listen to lossy mp3 music through crappy speakers or headphones. But what do I know?)

While I have two excellent PRS-350s with PRS+, I am on the fence about getting a T3 from Canada just to have have something newer from Sony. The 350 batteries can be replaced at some point. This assumes someone continues to make them and the demand is enough so that the one you buy hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. Replacing a T3 battery apparently requires soldering, which I do not like at all.

Oh, well. I suppose I'll enjoy my 350s right now, and keep an eye on the T3 in case there is a nice price drop. The high price from Canadian sellers plus shipping is irksome, although I would jump on one if I did not have these 350s.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #56
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Just curious - has anyone bought a T-3 in Canada for use in the U.S.? If so, any downside?

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
If so, any downside?
The only downside will be that as a grey import it is going to be more expensive, and will not be covered by the U.S. warranty. Sony will not ship it to the U.S., so you will have to purchase it in person, or have it shipped from one of the grey market resellers.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I thought that would be the case; just wondering if there were any hidden issues like not being able to register it here or some other silly thing Sony does to torment us
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #59
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Other than additional shipping charges if sending for repair I don't think it matters. The warrantee still applies.

I don't think there are any grey market distributers for Sony ereaders because AFAIK they don't have a strict authorized distributer policy.

Personally I would get someone to pick one up for you if you know someone going to Canada as the only companies shipping to the states seem pricey.

If you know someone living in Canada, you could order one using PayPal and have them mail it to you (probably $20).

I am waiting to see if they sell one with the lighted cover before Christmas or a good sale but I will get one eventually no matter what Don't need it, but will be my Christmas present to me.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #60
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I don't think there should be any software "issues". After all, the device was obviously designed for the U.S. market, and the decision to not release it here came after Sony went through the FCC certification process. Besides, IIRC the Canadian and U.S. stores are basically one and the same. I am pretty sure you should be fine.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote