Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Question Kindle Fire Vs. Nook Tablet

I was sure I wanted the Kindle Fire but now that I see the specs for both I'm not so sure. Specs wise the Nook is a better machine, it has more storage and more memory. I'm not sure if the Nook uses the Android store or goes through B&N for apps, if it goes through B&N Ill stick with the Fire. Anyone have an opinion?
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I was sure I wanted the Kindle Fire but now that I see the specs for both I'm not so sure. Specs wise the Nook is a better machine, it has more storage and more memory. I'm not sure if the Nook uses the Android store or goes through B&N for apps, if it goes through B&N Ill stick with the Fire. Anyone have an opinion?
I guess you'll stick with the Fire. The NOOK does not have access to the Android Market.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
You willing to root your machine? If so, the nook will almost certainly have access to apps from google, B&N, and Amazon with no difficulty.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I assume I will end up rooting the Nook if I get one, how do you get apps on it without rooting it? They are selling the Tablet as an Android device so I was assuming it's fully open to all Android apps.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
You willing to root your machine? If so, the nook will almost certainly have access to apps from google, B&N, and Amazon with no difficulty.
The thing is why root the color tab ,when you can pay $50 more for an htc flyer with 32 gigs internal storage (with no limitations) + 32gigs more micro-sd , full google android support (not just the android market) GPS,Micro-usb 2.0 port,front and back camera for skype, slightly better display.

Rooting it saves you $50 bucks to get a lesser tablet and more work <shrugs>
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I guess you'll stick with the Fire. The NOOK does not have access to the Android Market.
Neither does the Fire.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
I assume I will end up rooting the Nook if I get one, how do you get apps on it without rooting it? They are selling the Tablet as an Android device so I was assuming it's fully open to all Android apps.
Neither device has the full Android Market.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Neither does the Fire.
I didn't say it did. I just replied to his specific question which I bolded. It appeared that he preferred the Amazon app store to B&N's.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Grimm
DRM killer

No worries, I was just making it completely clear that neither device has the full Android Market unless rooted.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
The thing is why root the color tab ,when you can pay $50 more for an htc flyer with 32 gigs internal storage (with no limitations) + 32gigs more micro-sd , full google android support (not just the android market) GPS,Micro-usb 2.0 port,front and back camera for skype, slightly better display.

Rooting it saves you $50 bucks to get a lesser tablet and more work <shrugs>
Just curious, how is the Flyer's screen better? I read a few reviews that mentioned that text on the screen didn't look as sharp as expected (somewhat pixellated). I know the original nook color (I used to own one) had a beautiful screen. Does the Flyer have better screen specs?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Specs aren't everything. Amazon has the ecosystem. That's enough for me.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Neither does the Fire.
No. But amazon android market is supposed to be pretty good. Plus it has quality control, unlike the flea market that is the android market.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Grimm
DRM killer

Specs aren't everything but hearsay about a Market no details have been released about is? Really? The Amazon Market is a curated Android Market, that's all.

Last edited by Grimm; 11-08-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
csinnc
csinnc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
B&N membership program and discounts do not work with anything Nook. They will not tell you that, but is true. Also all are protected. I had just bought a bunch of books for my nook when my husband bought me a Kindle Fire for Christmas (not that I'm complaining about the new toy).
csinnc
csinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #15
Michael81
Michael81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
No. But amazon android market is supposed to be pretty good. Plus it has quality control, unlike the flea market that is the android market.
Well, I would agree. Amazon market is pretty good. Maybe there are less apps available, but those are premium titles anyway. Who needs thousands meaningless apps, right?
Michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fire, nook tablet