Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
more KARMA for that guy !!!
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Glade you like it!
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #18
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
OK here is what I did, I have added a Show All button and a Show Anchor button into the Add window. But by looking at the file you were talking there are several id inside the same line, the ch01 is on almost every line.
Oops, how did those duplicate id's get in there....

There shouldn't be any duplicates, but your solution seems appropriate to only use the first one!

I tried editing that TOC, and after I added that id link, the tooltip and name were the same for the newly added TOC entry. I promptly renamed it to the anchor's text, but thought, , it would be nice for the Add screen to show the text of the id's anchor or heading (h1/h2/h3..) and use that as the default naming when added, instead of the src/href. Perhaps you can add another column in the Add screen to show what text the link surrounds or at least the first 20-30 characters.

Also, while editing I added a wrong link to the TOC and then found that I couldn't delete it, only unselect it. Could you also add a (one line or multiple lines) Delete TOC entry option?

Thanks for implementing greater functionality as well as retaining your simple but intuitive UI!!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Also, while editing I added a wrong link to the TOC and then found that I couldn't delete it, only unselect it. Could you also add a (one line or multiple lines) Delete TOC entry option?
That is kind of why I added the Apply button, it will reload the TOC, without saving to the file, but I will add it anyway, since it might not be intuitive enough.

I will look if having some text detected is doable, because of all the different kind of book, they are sometime very different. Maybe catch the next p or blockquote tag following the anchor or at the beginning of the page. But it is a good idea, to have at least half the job already done.

Last edited by Nigol; 01-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Nigol
Groupie

New Cool Update Coming

Just letting you all know that I am working on a new update, that will simplify even more Creating TOC.

- Added a Remove Option in the Reading & TOC Editors, You could have done the same thing by deselecting and clicking apply, but it was not intuitive.
- The files are now being extracted in a background Theard, the Editors window will now appear much more quickly.
- A Progress Bar has been added to the bottom of the screen showing the extracting progress.
- Added a new column in the Add Screen that Shows a list of Text (now cap to 5 lines) inside of a File or following an Anchor, The selected text will be used if present when adding files to the TOC (instead of the filename).
- Added a Take Next Text in The Add Window. That way say the first line is a chapter number and the second the title of the chapter, you can easily select the title by selecting all the wanted lines.
- Added a Special Tag in the Mass Rename (%T) that will keep the text in place. Useful with the above feature where you would want to add say a number in front to auto-increment.
(example : Chapter Name could become 1 - Chapter Name by typing 1 - %T and auto-increment all field)

And some bugs also.

Hope you find this useful and spread the word if you do.

Should be out Tomorrow or the day after.

Last edited by Nigol; 01-25-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #21
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
I took a look at the project page and was pleased to see it's licensed GPL. But I don't see any source code.

I tried to run it with wine on Linux, but it said
wine: Install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables

OK, I guess I could install that, but are you going to build any non-Windows version?
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
I took a look at the project page and was pleased to see it's licensed GPL. But I don't see any source code.
The Code is not there because I don't yet use the Source Control. But if interested I would gladly provide it. And right now there was no request for it, so I didn't really bother.

I will post a source with the next version in the download section, I just ask that if anybody wants to make some enhancement that we all work together, instead of doing many different version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
I tried to run it with wine on Linux, but it said
wine: Install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables

OK, I guess I could install that, but are you going to build any non-Windows version?
The program is written in C#, which means that to run it you will need either .Net Runtime (3.5) or Mono on Linux or MAC.

That said Mono is not an exact port of the .NET framework and there will surely be some parts of it that are not working. Maybe someone with some experience with Linux could give a hand, has I don't really plan on using Linux soon.

But I have checked the compatibility with Mono. The only problem I see is the WebBrowser window not running on OSX. On version 1.2 only (I changed some things that would not have pass the tests.)

But there is some problems with the libraries I am using, but looking at the report it does not look like something that is used in my App and could be safely removed (all are open source). But there will have some testing to be done and some code modification to do.

Last edited by Nigol; 01-26-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
Nigol
Groupie

Update 1.2 Available

I have uploaded the new Update 1.2 attached on The First Post and on Google Code. I have also uploaded the Source Code.

Like always please leave comments, suggestions, bugs, etc. And spread the word. Maybe if it is useful/liked enough this post might get stickied .

(See the OP or the readme for the changelog)
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #24
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have uploaded the new Update 1.2 attached on The First Post and on Google Code.
It's soooo powerful now!

I can nest TOC levels, shift them around, add more TOC entries at will and when in doubt I can even preview the .html where the anchor's located.

All a click or two away (typing optional! )!

Thanks Nigol for a worthy update!

Oh, one more request, if I may. How about a "Save as..." button (or dialog prefilled with the filename when the Save button is clicked) for those times when I want to keep the original .epub and haven't copied it beforehand...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oh, one more request, if I may. How about a "Save as..." button (or dialog prefilled with the filename when the Save button is clicked) for those times when I want to keep the original .epub and haven't copied it beforehand...
I am starting to think that you will never be happy (Joking). But in all honesty I appreciate your comment it help me build something better that can now more easily create a TOC from almost nothing, without going into sigil and wasting hours to just select the heading.

I do agree with the Save As, Or I would be more inclined to have a Save Backup checkbox, It would have helped me when I started coding it, because I had to keep several copy, because the app would destroy my TOC or stylesheet completely.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #26
nrapallo

Quote:
I am starting to think that you will never be happy (Joking).
You say that as if it's a baaaad thing.... It's just my nature!

Quote:
But in all honesty I appreciate your comment it help me build something better that can now more easily create a TOC from almost nothing, without going into sigil and wasting hours to just select the heading.
I agree! There is nothing worse than finishing a complex and lengthy conversion with calibre and then trying to salvage that conversion by editing the .epub with Sigil only to find the TOC is not the way you like it. ePubFixer to the rescue.....

Quote:
I do agree with the Save As, Or I would be more inclined to have a Save Backup checkbox, It would have helped me when I started coding it, because I had to keep several copy, because the app would destroy my TOC or stylesheet completely.
While we are talking about further changes, how about:
  • Remembering the placement (size and location) of the Add, TOC Editior and Preview screens. Every time I launch the program, I have to re-adjust the windows the way I like them (since I have LOTS of screen real estate available I even enlarge the screens!).
  • After I add links from the Add screen and am returned to the TOC Editor screen, any subsequent call to "Add" has to re-scan for Show ALL and for Show Anchors. Can this be cached/remembered while still editing the TOC?
  • In the Add screen, can you allow sorting of "Filename", "Detected Text" by click the Header (sort/reverse sort)
  • Troubleshooting: If you open my Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.epub, in the Add screen, the filename is truncated after the third hyphen and I can't tell which filename is being shown (they all look the same)

Also, some tips for those "not in the know",
  • At the Add screen, just drag 'n drop the link(s)to the correct place in the TOC Editor screen. You can still, instead, use the Add button, but that delivers all selected links to the bottom of the existing TOC. Choose which works for you.
  • After using the Preview option, if you want to see the relevant html code, just right-menu and select "View Source", then you can also see how those links interact.

If you make more changes, Nigol, I'll continue to make comments/suggestions...

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-27-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added more to my "wishlist"
Old 01-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #27
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
The application does a wonderful (and relatively easily) job of creating a new TOC, saving much laborious editing time. I have however noted that once I have finished, if I call the file up again in Sigil, Sigil will ignore everything I have done and restore the original TOC, thereby destroying all my careful work, putting me back where I was before I used epubfixer.

I have read and re-read the thread several times, so if it was said, I missed it ... but how do I insure that my carefully revised and re-ordered TOC is not later destroyed?
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Nigol
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
The application does a wonderful (and relatively easily) job of creating a new TOC, saving much laborious editing time. I have however noted that once I have finished, if I call the file up again in Sigil, Sigil will ignore everything I have done and restore the original TOC, thereby destroying all my careful work, putting me back where I was before I used epubfixer.

I have read and re-read the thread several times, so if it was said, I missed it ... but how do I insure that my carefully revised and re-ordered TOC is not later destroyed?
That is why there is an Edit in Sigil option, what it does is simply make a copy of your TOC before opening sigil and replacing it afterwards. it will not keep your TOC intact if say you split several chapter and/or rename the files. So I suggest selecting both the Edit in Sigil and Table of Content Editor, because after editing in Sigil the TOC editor will filter unavailable entries (or just put the in red if they where anchors - v1.3 only), and you could add new entries that where done with Sigil, like splitting chapters.

That said I just found a bug (and fixed it in the next version) where a TOC entry that links to Anchors (i.e. TExt/page001.html#filepos011) would not be kept.

I am also working on a Split Chapters on Anchors that will split your html files just before the selected anchors. (we will see if it works well before release, so no promise now).
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #29
Nigol
Groupie

Update 1.3

Here is the Changelog for the new update that I just uploaded, hope you like it.

They might me something else, but I did a stupid thing and erased some of the stuff I had already written, so I had to re-write them.

Spread the word if you like it...

Changelog :

- Clicking The Add button in the Add window will no longer close the window.
- The entries in the Add window will now be sorted like the reading Order (spine).
- Added a Save Backup Checkbox on the Main Screen.
- Using Send To from a folder would crash the program, it will now collect all the .ePub found inside.
Useful for mass fixing from the calibre library.
- Added an option to check online if any new version is available (Default is enabled)
- The detected text for anchors, use to only find the text next to that anchors, it will now get the folowing lines. (up to 5)
- The program will now remember the Size and Position of the most windows.
- The Show All & Show Anchor Will now be remebered along with column width.
- Added a Split Chapters on Anchor checkbox in the TOC Editor,
that will Split your Html file into multiple files when more than 1 chapter per file is found. (Is pretty slow right now)
- Fixed a bug with the edit in Sigil, where source that had Anchors where removed.
- Fixed a Bug with the Shift function (Again).
- Added an About box inside in the main dialog.
- Added a status strip inside of the preview window that will show the name of the file being previewed.
- Added a couple of tooltips on checkboxes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
nrapallo

Well done, Nigol!

epUBFixer is so intuitive and easy to use.

I recently added "back links" to footnotes by manipulating the toc.ncx using ePubFixer. It was easy to do and allowed much need navigation for my (crippled) ADE hardware reader without a touchscreen or back button.

I started with a well-coded epub called 'Lorna Doone.epub' by AlexBell available in this thread Blackmore, R.D.: Lorna Doone. v2 03 Oct 2010

I moved all chapters listed in the TOC Editor screen onto the "Lorna Doone" heading and created level2 TOC entries for the chapters (I had to add another link to chapter 1 from the Add screen). This was just a cosmetic preference of mine.

Then, at the Add screen, I (shift) selected all the anchors listed under "Footnotes.html" and then choose "Select Next Text" for all of them to better describe the footnotes! I moved them onto the TOC Editor's "Footnotes" heading and it created level2 TOC entries for same. I even renamed those level links via (shift) select and rename using "[1] - %T" to add the footnote number back.

In the Add screen, I then expanding each filename listed and moved the detected footnote "back anchor" like "[1]" and moved each one, in turn, onto it's corresponding newly added footnote level2 TOC entry. This created a level3 TOC entry for each level2 TOC footnote!!! Then I mass renamed them using ctrl-click with "%T - back to text" and it changed "[1]" to "[1] - back to text"

It was a bit tedious, but employed very simple drag 'n drop, point and (shift/ctrl) click as well as only minimal typing!

Attached, please find my fixed version of the original "Lorna Doone.epub".

I hope this inspires others to get fixing .epubs using ePubFixer!

p.s. I attach some screenshots of my work

original "Lorna Doone.epub"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_orig_1.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	65859Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_orig_2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	65860

Add screen after showing all filenames and anchors

Name:	Lorna_Add_screen_1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	65865Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_Add_screen_2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	65866

my "Lorna Doone_fixed.epub"

Name:	Lorna_fixed_best_1.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	65861Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_fixed_best_2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	65862Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_fixed_best_3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	65863Click image for larger version

Name:	Lorna_fixed_best_4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	65864
Attached Files
File Type: epub Lorna Doone_fixed.epub (834.5 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-10-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Tags
epub, epubfixer, toc.ncx editor, tool