Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #46
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Well there you go. I guess it is an option for people with the know how and time to bother with all the conversion, and stripping of margins etc.

Good to know, as I though such format of PDFs were a lost cause. I assume it's still an issue with tables? Or at least the ones that take a full land scape page (which I guess is 4.5x8)?

Just asking so I understand (as do others who actually have interest in reading these kind of PDFs on their 6" readers).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Good to know, as I though such format of PDFs were a lost cause. I assume it's still an issue with tables? Or at least the ones that take a full land scape page (which I guess is 4.5x8)?
I guess those in particular might be tricky, sure, at least if you needed to see the entire table at once. Depending on how the table was presented in the original PDF (e.g., whether it was rotated to match the other pages, or just had different dimensions), and what options you picked, from something like SoPDF you'd either have it compressed as best as possible to fit on the reader landscape, or have half of it on one page and half on another (split left/right). But would that really be so bad? As mentioned, it would be like reading a very small font size -- I don't mind if it so much if the tables have smaller print, since I don't spend time "reading" the table; I just refer to it as needed, and retrieving one piece of information with a small font table isn't so bad.

But I'm not really trying to talk anyone into anything. Lots of people prefer paper, and that's understandable.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, that would be tricky as I spend a lot of time looking at tables. Our field is pretty quantitative (and my research very much so) so the results tables are the main thing to look at in many articles. With limited time I tend to focus on tables and the discussion/conclusion and not read much of the rest of the article--especially if it's in my area and I know the prior research by heart so I don't need to spend time on the lit review etc.

Oh and I know you're not trying to sway me and I appreciate it. Many here are much more in love with readers (or are super tree huggers) and get pushy on the subject of someone preferring paper and I appreciate that you've been helpful without doing so!

Thanks!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote