Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Bookshelf?

Anybody using Bookshelf for reading ebooks? I have Ipod Touch arriving today and want to read a mobipocket .prc ebook on it.
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
thebrave
Enthusiast
thebrave doesn't litterthebrave doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, Nokia N800
What do you want to know ?
I sort-of prefer eReader so I use it more.
thebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
You can read prc books using Stanza as long as they are not DRM protected.

You can get you books onto your Touch in two ways.

First is to download the Stanza Desktop Client and use that to share books to download onto your Touch. The Disadvantage is that you have to do it for Each individual book, which can be time consuming process.

Another option is to download Cailbre and use the built in Webserver to make books available on your network. You can then Save and read them on your Touch.

While it ma take your a little while to get used to it, once you do, its pretty easy.

Bookshelf dies I believe now offer a free light Version called Bookshelf LT.

I did not have much luck with it, and found it almost unusable and unstable, but YMMW and as its free, you may as well check it out.

eReader is also great, and I've taken to buying more of my newer books in that format so I can just download and read them on the iPhone. I also format shift them to Mobi, for reading on my Cybook.

Mobipocket is apparently working on an app for the iPhone / touch, but nothing concrete has come up yet, so it may yet be while.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
JIGACE
JIGACE began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
hi there. I'm using Bookshelf and its pretty good. It works with almost any format and its fast and stable, pretty good little app, i tried ereader but never figure out how to transfer my ebooks unless i stored them online, and thats a bunch of time and work... so i recommend bookshelf and stanza, works pretty good too, but is easier to work with bookshelf and book design...
JIGACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
IDtheTarget
IDtheTarget began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hi!

I've used Stanza, eReader, and iPhone Bookshelf. Of the three, bookshelf is the most versatile, and in my opinion the easiest to use to get your books over to the phone. The developer is great and responds to email positively and quickly.

There are two ways to get books to your iPhone. The first is to run a very simple java application on your desktop. You double click on the icon, click on the folder you want to share to your iPhone, and the you can get your books. Note that this requires you to have a WiFi network in your house. If you don't, you can still make it work, but it's a little trickier.

I'm using another method. I have a server, and I'm running his software on my server. This way I have access to my library anywhere I happen to be.

He supports many formats. The three DRM formats he doesn't support, and in which I have purchased books, are MobiPocket, eReader, and Microsoft reader. However, I've found tools online to strip the DRM from each of these formats. He doesn't support .lit books yet, but abclit converts the nicely into other formats.

I now use bookshelf exclusively, buying my ebooks as normal, stripping them of DRM, and then putting them on my shelfserver for my own enjoyment. The $10 I spent foe the reader on the phone is the best money I've spent on iPhone software yet.
IDtheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
deegee
deegee began at the beginning.

Question

Hi there.

First of all thanks a lot to all of you for your reviews. It saved me some hours testing and comparing all those readers available for iPhone / iPod touch.

I just downloaded the free version of Bookshelf (limitied to 10 Books at once). I'll give it some days: if I am happy with it I'll purchase the full version for cheap € 7.99

But before that I will have to solve another problem... without removing the DRM I cannot view my mmobipocket ebocks on the Apple's OS X.

This one is absolutely not about piracy. I will pay for every book. But if I pay I want to be able to view it on all of my devices and as far as I get the picture this only works with decrypting and removing the DRM. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
[...] However, I've found tools online to strip the DRM from each of these formats. [...]
Where can those tools be found?

Do they work, e.g. with this file aswell:
Arzneimittel e-pocket plus 2007
(this is a free and legal demo file)

Thank you a lot for your answers.

Snowy greetings

Last edited by deegee; 12-13-2008 at 09:54 AM. Reason: URL was wrong
deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
deegee

One step further...

Well, once again a lot of searching helped

I found a bunch of pythons scripts aswell as a bundle of them compiled to EXE files. For those who still need to get those, demonoid and btjinkie might provide help to find Mobipocket Conversion programs + DRM Removal

About the file ebook demo file of "Arzneimittel Pocket" I mentioned in my previous post:
Actually it was not DRM protected.

Stanza and eReader refuse to display this file on my iPhone (3G, FW v.2.2). Another alternative called "textReader" (Cydia) won't display the file, stating it is DRM proteced (which it is not).

Now I got it running in Bookshelf. But to be honest I am not really happy how the file gets displayed. "Arzneimittel Pocket" ist a kind of encyclopedia for medical drugs and I could find a search feature in bookshelf. Also internal Links don't seem to work. Well, sometimes they do, but most of the time they don't. Even a link that once worked, doens't always do the tricks. I asume this is a problem with Bookshelf?

So, what alternatives do I have left?

Converting the file to HTML? I have tried so with mobi2html. I can get all of the included GIF files extracted but the output HTML file seems to be empty (with 1kB file size only).

I feel kind of stuck here. HELP PLZ! If I will make any progress I will share it with you...

Greetz
Old 12-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
deegee

Since I think I might be going OT a little bit, I started a new thread for the above problem:

iPhone & Mobipocket - How?