Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
French operator SFR tests e-book device

French mobile operator SFR is launching a e-book device. The e-Book SFR is apparently about as big as a paperback, weighs 175g and offers 10 to 15 hours of use, Telecompaper reports. Users can download content via SFR's 3G network or via Bluetooth. Several French newspapers will be available and the operator is also working with 7 publishers. SFR will test the service and device with 100 customers for three months. SFR has already said it will use DRM to protect the content. The company may launch the device commercially later this year, pending trial results.

Press release (French) here

(Perhaps a French speaking MR reader can dig up a picture of this device?)

Last edited by grimo1re; 07-04-2008 at 04:27 AM.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
great find ! maybe this time i'll manage to be a beta tester... ^^

here is a photo :

and more info (in french) in this page
http://www.zone-numerique.com/news_3...imentation.htm

it's a netronix / cybook clone. the press reslease in french says they'll be working with 6 newspapers (Les Echos, Le Monde, L'Equipe, Le Parisien, Le Figaro et L'AFP) and 7 publishers (Dunod, Flammarion, Hachette, M21 éditions, Plon, Ramsay, Solar).

interesting excerpt from the press release :
Quote:
Chaque appareil dispose d'un numéro de série unique, les lecteurs sont ainsi identifiés et les fichiers contenant les ouvrages sont cryptés de façon à ce que seuls les lecteurs identifiés puissent les télécharger. Il n'est ainsi pas possible de transférer un ouvrage téléchargé vers un autre e-Book ou autre support.

Cette expérimentation permettra de tester, notamment, l'ergonomie du produit, son usage en situation de mobilité et la pertinence de l'offre de contenus proposée. Les enseignements tirés du pilote permettront à SFR d'adapter son offre pour le lancement commercial en fin d'année 2008.
Les clients qui souhaitent devenir testeurs du " e-Book SFR " peuvent s'inscrire sur le site www.ateliersfr.fr dès le vendredi 4 juillet.
translation :
"Each device will have a unique serial number, which will identify it and the ebooks are encrypted so that only the identified device can download it. So it's impossible to transfer a downloaded ebook to another ebook or another medium.

This experiment will also allow us to test, notably, the ergonomy of the product, it's use in mobile situations and the pertinence of the content proposed. The lessons learned from the pilot will allow SFR to adapt its offer for the commercial launch at the end of 2008. Clients who would like to become testers of the "SFR ebook" can sign up on the site www.ateliersfr.fr starting friday 4th of july.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 07-04-2008 at 06:59 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update :
well, i tried to sign up to be a beta tester (of course). you must be a client of SFR, which it happens i am, however when i entered my SFR téléphone number i got an error message :
"Vous ne pouvez pas vous inscrire à Atelier SFR : Votre Numéro de mobile n'est pas autorisé."
"you cannot register at the SFR Atelier : Your mobile number is not authorised."

b*stards.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Awwwwww!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Awwwwww!
right ??? *snif.*
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
tebaldo
Connoisseur
tebaldo doesn't littertebaldo doesn't litter

Device: Ganaxa GeR2, StareRead, Sony PRS505, Librié
e-Book SFR reader

The reader is the GeR2, adapted for the new Ganaxa telecom platform.
tebaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
The e-Book SFR is apparently about as big as a paperback, weighs 175g and offers 10 to 15 hours of use,
I wonder where the 10-15 hrs comes from (perhaps due to 3G network)? The GeR2 is based on the Netronix EB-600, which is usually quoted as good for 8,000 page turns.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

new update : i tried again to register for the beta test and this time it worked !!! now my request is waiting to be validated... i will have a reply within 48 hours !!! wish me luck !!!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
tebaldo
Connoisseur
tebaldo doesn't littertebaldo doesn't litter

Device: Ganaxa GeR2, StareRead, Sony PRS505, Librié
Good luck

@ zelda_pinwheel
You are in France, and what do you do?
tebaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

what do i do ? for my job you mean ? i'm a webdesigner. why ?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
great find ! maybe this time i'll manage to be a beta tester... ^^

here is a photo :

and more info (in french) in this page
http://www.zone-numerique.com/news_3...imentation.htm

it's a netronix / cybook clone. the press reslease in french says they'll be working with 6 newspapers (Les Echos, Le Monde, L'Equipe, Le Parisien, Le Figaro et L'AFP) and 7 publishers (Dunod, Flammarion, Hachette, M21 éditions, Plon, Ramsay, Solar).

interesting excerpt from the press release :

translation :
"Each device will have a unique serial number, which will identify it and the ebooks are encrypted so that only the identified device can download it. So it's impossible to transfer a downloaded ebook to another ebook or another medium.

This experiment will also allow us to test, notably, the ergonomy of the product, it's use in mobile situations and the pertinence of the content proposed. The lessons learned from the pilot will allow SFR to adapt its offer for the commercial launch at the end of 2008. Clients who would like to become testers of the "SFR ebook" can sign up on the site www.ateliersfr.fr starting friday 4th of july.
Great now I am going to have to learn French!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Great now I am going to have to learn French!

JJ
everyone should learn french.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
everyone should learn french.
I was in Paris in the Mid 90's lets just say I got around all right with what little French i did know.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
new update : i tried again to register for the beta test and this time it worked !!! now my request is waiting to be validated... i will have a reply within 48 hours !!! wish me luck !!!
Good luck! I hope you are selected. Is there any indication if they will let you put content on it other than the newspapers that you purchase from them. Do beta testers have to pay for content?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

thanks ! no news yet... i'm so impatient !!

i'm not sure whether you can put your own content on it, but why wouldn't they ? and i don't know whether the content will be free or not either.

what i DO know, from the general conditions of the test, is that if you do the test you get to keep the liseuse at the end of it, as well as all the content on it !!! (which might indicate that the content is not free ; i doubt any beta-testers would agree to pay for books and newspapers which they would have to give back after 3 months).

however, they also say you cannot transfer this content to another liseuse, to a pc, or to a phone, or any other media. and at the end of the test, you will not be able to add any more content from them, the download channel will be closed. during the test, the content will be downloaded to your telephone via the 3G network, and then transferred to the liseuse via bluetooth i believe.

anyway, of course if i'm selected i'll let you know everything in detail ! there is at least one other person on the forum who signed up for the test, so even if i'm not part of it maybe he will be.