Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Cpt. Tim
Cpt. Tim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Steampunking my reader

step one. Blue isn't very steampunk.

I always think i can get more done than i actually do. But i did manage to get 2 coats of copper paint on it. theres still lots of detail i need to fill in and its a bit unslightly in this in between stage. But after i'm done with the copper i'm going to tarnish the copper a bit. Add fake rivets. and from there i'll see what else i can do. Theres a lot of steampunk stuff that i'm not willing to do just because i don't want to change the form factor of the reader.

updated pics as i progress.
Cpt. Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's looking cool so far, Dr. Drib, I'm interested in seeing how it ends up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hey, You Mean Cpt. Tim, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
hahahahahaha.....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
That's a BART ticket, isn't it? Are you from the Bay Area? I guess the Bay Area is the place to do this kind of thing. Looks good to me.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Ok, I never thought of doing this, but I have to admit that it looks very cool so far!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Hey, You Mean Cpt. Tim, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
hahahahahaha.....

Don
Yes. Yes I do mean Cpt. Tim.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
That's a BART ticket, isn't it? Are you from the Bay Area? I guess the Bay Area is the place to do this kind of thing. Looks good to me.
At times the DC Metro tickets look the same. (We copied their ticket system.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hope that it doesn't go wrong and you have to send it back to Sony. They might be a little reluctant to repair such a, er, "customised", Reader .

BTW, what on Earth does "steampunking" mean? It's a word I've never come across before, and my "Concise Oxford Dictionary" seems never to have heard of it either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Luckily for you the top is made of metal. The paint solvents might have fragilized a plastic case. Did you properly sand the surface before paint? Otherwise it won't hold.

Personally I find the difference between the copper and the gray of the screen annoying. I would have gone with a tarnished nickel instead. Rivet heads will look pretty neat indeed! You should have glued them on before paint.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Steampunk comes from cyberpunk. Think of end of 19th century with steam driven computers, robots etc.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The riveted look of a steam engine driven machine perhaps? That suggests an evolution from the Gothic to a more techno based movement.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BTW, what on Earth does "steampunking" mean?
Heh, you have to look in Wikipedia for that sort of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

The Sci-Fi channel's tech blog has an interesting collection of steampunked devices.

The keyboard done up with typewriter keys is really something.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fascinating. Thank you .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Hey! I have rich clients with Victorian type houses who complain that their office doesn't fit in. That computer paraphernalia is just the ticket!

I used to hide stuff in furniture designs, those objects are beautiful and would fit right in!

I also like the concept that technostuff can be hand made. That usually is my big beef with society as a whole. No place for craftmanship as a need.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This is too cool! Maybe you should contact some company in China to see if they can after-market some of your case designs for easy DIY case replacements in this same mold? Take a look at the whole PSP, XBox, PS2, PC case-modding scene and you'll see there's definitely a market for it.

I like your design a lot, looks awesome!!!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote