Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
arthro
arthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud of

Device: iriver story hd
major screen problem

Hi

I've been been an iriver story owner for several months and was starting to get to use it more and more, but the other day I had it in my bag into which I later stuffed some shopping, and when I turned it on later, these vertical and horizontal lines were suddenly there, and now remain there though the device is switched off.

I can imagine that inside the bag, it got some grief from the other objects and its possible that the screen was under pressure from something. I have done this before and had got used to the idea that the device was quite robust. I now see that I probably overestimated its robustness.

These lines pretty much only allow small parts of the screen legible, though there is no physical cracks or scratches on the screen at all.

The rest of the device works fine: the rest of the system doesn't seem to know that the screen has been damaged.

Anybody with any experience of this? I reckon its a pretty serious condition, and that it's unlikely to be corrected. Though I will have a go at resetting, etc.

Any advice welcome. Cheers.
arthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthro View Post
Hi

I reckon its a pretty serious condition, and that it's unlikely to be corrected.

So what advice would you expect? You have given the answer yourself ...
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Yes your screen is broken. Happened to me. I bought another one on ebay and a case on Amazon. Still very happy with my Story HD.

Sorry for your loss.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
arthro
arthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud ofarthro has much to be proud of

@CJJ: thanks. Hehe, I didn't think I was happy with it either, until this happened and then I thought "it was a pretty good reader, AFTER ALL"!
@Hui Neng. I was looking for sympathetic replies from other iriver story owners.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
With the Story HD discontinued, and nothing comparable on the market, I live in fear of something like this happening. I'm in love with my Story HD.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
8andout
8andout doesn't litter8andout doesn't litter

Device: iriver story HD; Boyue T62+
I also live in fear of such a fate
I carry mine in two cases, one of the leather clasp ones and a zip up one around that. I'm still paranoid about it though.
As for your seemingly unbroken screen, the most fragile part is the glass panel on the inside of the screen, not the plastic outer screen. From reading these forums, that seems to be the most common failing.
8andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Post a picture of your device anyway, if you're not sure about screen breakage.

A broken screen shows horizontal and vertical lines, but they don't go all the way through, but they will change at the point where the actual crack is located. And by this change in the display you can tell the actual cracked line which is usually not perfectly horizontal/vertical. Sometimes even a star shaped crack if it was caused by punct point of pressure was somewhere in the middle of the display.

Story HD is still available in Europe, I have two of them, so if one cracks I'll just use the display of the other one. If you can find one with an intact display but bricked electronics on Ebay, you could repair it yourself... open both of them, and just move the electronics to the reader with the intact display. That's what I did with my bricked Story HD, using one with a cracked display bought off ebay...

Unlike some other devices, the Story HD can be opened up and closed without leaving a trace, so self repair and battery exchange is entirely possible. Unlike the Bookeen Frontlight which apparently, can not be opened without damaging the front case.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
arthro

@8andout & frostschutz: there is no need to post a picture because your descriptions are too accurate. It is exactly that what you write that has happened.

It is not the outer screen .. that is fine ... but the horizontal and vertical lines leading to a puncture in the inner screen. I haven't opened it up, but there can be no doubt.

I take your points frostschutz, thanks. I think I can buy a new screen for something around USD80, the price of a kindle. Actually there is very little on ebay right now.

Another hack I'm thinking about is creating epubs with blank images over the horizontal band and the
vertical bands so that the text wraps ... only into the areas where the screen still works. That will make for quite annoying reading I guess, but it may well be better than nothing.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Probably easier to achieve with PDF than EPUB. And only worth the effort if like >50% of the screen are still usable. Otherwise do yourself a favor and get a new device. Keep the Story HD on a shelf for the off chance that you may be able to get a bricked one cheap in the future.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote