Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
CiaraG
Enthusiast
CiaraG began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Problems with replacement Cybook

Hey guys,

So, as I posted before, the screen on my original Cybook was damaged and I sent it back to Bookeen, with fee, for repair. They replaced it with the latest Cybook & firmware about 3 weeks ago.

The battery capacity on this new Cybook is terrible - I don't think I've gotten more than 600-700 page turns from it and it runs down quickly even when I'm not using it. I have to charge it at least every second day. And I don't think the new navigation button is a great improvement!

But all that aside - it's now stuck!! Was reading for about an hour yesterday morning. Turned it off, then re-booted in the evening. Read for about 2 hours. Put it down, it auto powered off after an hour. Now it won't re-boot. Just keeps flashing on the second splash screen. It won't power down at all and the reset button does nothing.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers
CiaraG
CiaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if you may have a corrupt file system. If you have an SD card, take it out and see if that helps. If it doesn't help (or you don't have an SD card) see if it mounts via USB (if it gets to the screen with the three dots on it should do). Do a "chkdsk" of the internal file system. If you get errors, make a backup of the "system" folder, reformat the internal disk (to FAT32) then put back the "system" folder.

If all else fails, reflash the ROM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Morning Harry! Knew I could count on you for a quick reply!

Already tried without the SD card and that did nothing. And while it does reach the screen with 3 dots, it unfortunately won't mount via USB either.

Looks like I'll be making another return!

CiaraG.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worth trying a reflash first. It definitely sounds like a software issue! I'd suggest first doing a reflash to firmware v538 and then from that to the current v685 - that way you'll completely reformat the internal file system in the process.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Harri

Probably your option is not possible, as it’s a new version Cybook and I think it does not let one “downgrade” to version 538, just the “old” Cybooks let that happen.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The new CyBooks don't work properly with 538, but it has been proven by at least one person here that one can reflash with 538 and then update that to 685.

The reason for doing 538 first is that it completely "wipes" the internal memory, which 685 doesn't.

However, it was only a suggestion. Take it or leave it .
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The new CyBooks don't work properly with 538, but it has been proven by at least one person here that one can reflash with 538 and then update that to 685.
But was it not one person that failed to do it and Bookeen claimed it could not be done?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I may be remembering incorrectly, but as I recall, the person reflashed with 538, and the machine behaved strangely, with the menus not being properly displayed. He was, however, able to then apply the 685 update and it worked normally again. I wasn't suggesting that he use 538 permanently; just use it as an intermediate step to completely wipe the internal memory. The 685 update doesn't reformat the internal memory, so if there's a corruption there, reflashing with 685 won't fix it.

Yes, you're right, Bookeen did indeed say that the new Gen3's wouldn't work properly with 538.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Yes. I do remember the part of Bookeen saying it could not be done.

If someone did managed to do it, outstanding! As the important part is we can resolve our problems.

So let’s hope CiaraG can resolve the problem without having the reader sent back with this option.
Please let us know the outcome.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I can't reflash with the 538 and then update to 685, because I can't even get the Cybook to connect to my Mac. Hook up the USB and nothing, not a damn thing. Can't access the unit or the SD card. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I emailed Bookeen yesterday morning, but have heard nothing back so far. Playing the waiting game again!

CiaraG.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru

One more possibility.

Can you try the reflash in a windows computer, from a friend per example?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
One more possibility.

Can you try the reflash in a windows computer, from a friend per example?
Unfortunately not. Even if I did, if it now won't mount via USB on my Mac why would it mount on a PC?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraG View Post
Unfortunately not. Even if I did, if it now won't mount via USB on my Mac why would it mount on a PC?
Actually, you can't reflash using the USB port anyway. That ability is not yet built in. You *need* to use the SD card to do that. But if you can't get to the point where it will even display the initial splash screen then it doesn't matter. If you *can* get to that point, then just use a media card reader on your Mac to access and place the update_kernel file onto the SD card, remove the Cybook from the chain so to speak. Once that's done, re-insert the SD card into the Cybook and follow the update instructions.

Having been where you're at, I know how frustrating it can be to be Cybook-less. If you can't get it to 'update' then you'll just have to bug Bookeen until they give you an RMA number and instructions for sending it back for repair.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Different hardware and different drivers can behave differently.

Why not connect the SD card via a card reader to your computer and copy the update files that way? Card readers are very cheap.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey guys,

I can't reflash with the 538 and then update to 685, because I can't even get the Cybook to connect to my Mac. Hook up the USB and nothing, not a damn thing. Can't access the unit or the SD card. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I emailed Bookeen yesterday morning, but have heard nothing back so far. Playing the waiting game again!

CiaraG.
To clarify, you don't need to be able to connect your Gen3 via USB in order to reflash; reflashing is done from the SD card. All you need is a mechanism for copying a file onto the SD card, such as a standalone card reader for your Mac. All you do to reflash is to copy the ROM file (called "update_kernel") to the root of the SD card, then switch on the Gen3 with the card inserted, and as soon as the first splash screen appears (the one with the black background), press and hold the centre button of the navigation control until the screen flashes white and then let the button go - that launches the reflash software.