Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
service plan - worth getting?

well, thanks to this board, i made my decision - it was between the cybook and the sony 505, and i'll be getting the sony next month for my birthday

so my question is about the extended service plan. some companies have good ones, some make it not worth while. i've heard a lot of conflicting things about sony with other products. has anyone here used their service plan?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My overall take is Sony has been good with this plan, I know of a couple cases where the user abused the reader in fact and Sony still fixed them
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Before considering buying any service plan, talk to your insurance agent, and see if they have some sort of policy where you can insure your device through them. I haven't done this myself, but I heard somewhere this can be done, and its usually a better deal. I could be wrong on this, but might be worth the phone call.

Personally, I don't buy service plans. I just roll the dice and hope for the best.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i've had good luck with service plans, overall - very helpful, but some companies are into helping customers where a few seem to be mostly into trying to find a loophole so they don't have to pay or in stringing things along forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasczak View Post
Before considering buying any service plan, talk to your insurance agent, and see if they have some sort of policy where you can insure your device through them. I haven't done this myself, but I heard somewhere this can be done, and its usually a better deal. I could be wrong on this, but might be worth the phone call.

Personally, I don't buy service plans. I just roll the dice and hope for the best.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Rasczak
Rasczak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I guess I'm just cynical, but I regard anything that someone pushes on me with the hard sell a bad investment. If it were a good deal, they wouldn't try so hard to sign me up.
Rasczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
I personally dont buy service plans and dont find them worth the money, I usually take my chances and luckily its always paid off.

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I usually buy the plans if they are reasonably priced. The Sony one wasn't too bad. I have had accidents due to my wife and kid, so for me, it's always worth it to have a "no questions asked" type of replacement or repair policy.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My stepson took our an insurance plan when he bought his laptop and has more then gotten his money's worth.

Also others here have used Sony's service plan and had no problems with it to get a replacement reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
horseyride
Enthusiast
horseyride began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you go for it, why not got for the "Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling" which basically covers anything under the sun, including your negligence in smashing the screen. My 2 year one was $48 which is what I consider an investment from all the beating its going to take before I replace it with the next model
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Good question!

Hmmmm! I hadn't thought about before but maybe I should have gotten the insurance on my Sony.

I always take extra good care of my things so I never get insurance on anything. But since this is fairly new technology maybe I should have.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have a PRS-500 which was dropped, causing the display to be broken. I sent it to a Sony center and they wanted $250 to fix it. Since I was able to get a refurbished 500 for $200 I decided not to get the broken one fixed.

When I purchased the 505 a few weeks ago, I also bought a 3-year service plan. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but if I do it will be more than worth the $70 price.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I don't normally do the service plans on devices but I read lots of scary stories here on MR about screen breaks and Sony charging damn near as much to fix them as they do for the reader itself. Consequently, I got the Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling. Naturally, my reader, even after five months, is in fine shape.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I don't normally do the service plans on devices but I read lots of scary stories here on MR about screen breaks and Sony charging damn near as much to fix them as they do for the reader itself. Consequently, I got the Service Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling. Naturally, my reader, even after five months, is in fine shape.
OF course, if you buy the insurance you will not need it. I think that is one of Murphy's laws.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
amazing it would cost that much to fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEngineer View Post
I have a PRS-500 which was dropped, causing the display to be broken. I sent it to a Sony center and they wanted $250 to fix it. Since I was able to get a refurbished 500 for $200 I decided not to get the broken one fixed.

When I purchased the 505 a few weeks ago, I also bought a 3-year service plan. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but if I do it will be more than worth the $70 price.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OF course, if you buy the insurance you will not need it. I think that is one of Murphy's laws.

BOb
LOL!! Isn't that the truth?
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote