Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Multiple Nooks on one account

Does anybody here have multiple Nooks on their account? The sales guy said if I bought a Nook for my niece and best friend we can all share our books. Has anybody done this? Can everybody read every book I have on my account? My niece is only 12 so I may not want her to have access to every book.

Then, can you use multiple credit cards, or just the one? I am just wondering what the best way to do this is.

And if I register their nooks on my account (I was going to set them up for them), can they they unregister and get their own account if they want to I imagine you can or you wouldn't be able to sell used ones.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
You can have multiple NOOKs (and iPhones, and iPads, and PCs, and Macs, and...) on one account. However, B&N considers accounts to be personal. All devices will synchronize to the account, so that if you buy a book on one NOOK, it gets downloaded to all of them. If you archive a book on one NOOK, it gets archived from all of them.

And once B&N gets sync working on the NOOK (Real Soon Now), every NOOK on the account will open the e-book to the same page. Having more than one person using a B&N account is not going to be very convenient in the long run.

B&N is quite clear in its Terms of Use that they consider the NOOK, the B&N e-book store, and the B&N Web site to be for use by adults and under adult supervision only. There is currently no provision for usage by minors.

The usual recommendation is to not register your child's NOOK. Create a separate B&N account for them, buy e-books for them on that account, and then sideload the e-books onto their NOOK. It means that all of their B&N e-books will be in My Documents instead of the B&N Library, but it also means that you have much more control over what e-books they're getting from B&N.

After you sideload the first e-book onto the NOOK, open it and it'll ask for the name from the account and the default credit card number (at the time the e-book was downloaded). Enter that information, and the NOOK will store the associated encryption key so that it shouldn't ever need to be entered again, not for that book nor for any other book bought with that name and credit card number.

When they get old enough, you can let them register to their account (which is why they should have their own account).
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Thanks for all the info!

My niece lives in NY, I am in Canada 4 hrs away, so me sideloading her content won't work. I doubt her mom and dad will do it. They've never even taken her to a library and she reads a huge book every 2-3 days. I usually bring her down tons of my books for her to borrow, then on my next trip I bring more and then take the others home. But lately I have only been buying ebooks so I was hoping to lend them to her. Some don't have the lend me feature and some of her favourite books she reads over and over, so the time limit kind of sucks.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
My niece lives in NY, I am in Canada 4 hrs away, so me sideloading her content won't work.
Would it work for you to sideload (and open) one e-book initially, then e-mail the later ones to her to sideload herself? After you've opened that first e-book, her NOOK will be set up for that name and credit card number so she'd just need to copy the e-book files into 'my documents'.

Of course, there's the other problem that because you're in Canada, you'll have to do some dancing around in order to buy most e-books from B&N.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai

Yes, that would work. I didn't realize I could email her the books, thanks.

I have ordered books with my Nook, but I think they were available in US and Canada. I am going to order a US only one to see if it works. I was told I don't have to hide my IP address in Canada. My B&N account address is already set with a US address, so we will see.
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
My wife and I have separate accounts. If we want to share a book we just sideload it since the DRM from B&N isn't a hassle to deal with.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
krypton74
krypton74 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Help to add another Nook to an existing acct?

Searched the forum for directions on how to add another Nook to an existing account but can't find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!
krypton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Register the Nook to the same account as your other Nooks. I have two Nook Colors and two Nook HD+ all registered to the same B&N account.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Yeah just register them with the same email and password. I've had both of my kids' ereaders and one for me and one for my husband plus my iPad and iPhone apps all on the same account, and I think all at the same time even. I haven't found a limit yet.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Whoops really old post. My bad
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Whoops really old post. My bad
It should work the same way, it'd be daft it if didn't.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
mws
eBook/gadget junkie
mws began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD /Simple Touch w/Glowlight
I have heard the limit of Nook devices on one account is 6. I certainly hope so, because best Buy has the Simple Touch with Glowlight at $59, so I just had to buy one for the office!

--
Mike
mws is offline   Reply With Quote