Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
caseylee
caseylee began at the beginning.

Device: sony
saving to sd card

sony reader and calibre The sd is FAT32 (limits the number of folders it can have.) I have been trying to transfer several hundred books to the card. I can load so many and then it errors out. Remember reading somewhere a sollution but can't find it or remember details. Tried saving to one file. tried inserting sd card into computer
Can anyone help?
caseylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseylee View Post
sony reader and calibre The sd is FAT32 (limits the number of folders it can have.) I have been trying to transfer several hundred books to the card. I can load so many and then it errors out. Remember reading somewhere a sollution but can't find it or remember details. Tried saving to one file. tried inserting sd card into computer
Can anyone help?
Without knowing the error all I can do is recommend that you try a fresh format as recommended in this thread and use the Panasonic format utility it suggests.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
What is better for the reader: FAT16 or FAT32?

What is max capacity of SD cards on PRS-505?
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaladinBL View Post
What is better for the reader: FAT16 or FAT32?

What is max capacity of SD cards on PRS-505?
I don't know the max capacity. I'm sure the specs can be found on Sony's site.

I stopped using my SD card for anything more then flashing my reader. It seemed to reduce battery time between charges.

But before I stopped using it I did reach an artificial limit on books being transferred to the SD card because it was formatted FAT16. I had to reformat it as FAT32 to get beyond that limitation.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
PaladinBL
Enthusiast
PaladinBL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Specs for last firmware says: Support for SDHC memory cards that have a capacity of more than 4 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I stopped using my SD card for anything more then flashing my reader. It seemed to reduce battery time between charges.
Really? Disturbing. I did not heard about that before.
PaladinBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have a 8GB Memory stick in my PRS-505 which works without any issues. It is formatted as FAT32. I would expect SD and Memory stick to have the same maximum size limits?

The limit on number of files for FAT16 tends to be imposed by the fact that there are only a limited number of diretory entries allowed at the root level. If you move all files down a level into sub-directories then the same limits do not apply.

As to battery life, I am sure that plugging in an external card must reduce it as it must onsume power to read/write it. However I find that the battery life of the PRS-505 is long enough that this is not a significant issue as in any case I get days of use between charges.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote