Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #91
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Arrow Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For as long as it takes someone to report the post and us to remove the link. Please don't post such links!
How about Google Keywords? I posted quite a few of those on the Mobipockt forum - even at a time when mobi_cs1 was still with us. They never censored them.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #92
eReaderPlanet
eReaderPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by anappo View Post

They are unlikely to be able to sue but they can suppress ability to remove DRM.

To remove the DRM, great majority of us will first need to find tools to do that. Not only is it illegal to remove DRM, it is illegal to write, distribute and in some places "discuss" tools for DRM removal - http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86758/f...ing-about-drm/
It's too bad we are even having this conversation. When we buy a book (eBook or otherwise), we should have the right to copy it to as many devices, lend/give it to friends and pretty much do whatever we want with it. I understand publishers' fears of piracy, but I also think the consumer has the right to do what they want with their own property.
eReaderPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #93
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderPlanet View Post
It's too bad we are even having this conversation. When we buy a book (eBook or otherwise), we should have the right to copy it to as many devices, lend/give it to friends and pretty much do whatever we want with it. I understand publishers' fears of piracy, but I also think the consumer has the right to do what they want with their own property.
I don't care too much about the giving away/lending (I don't know that many people who read electronically anyway), but I have 5 devices I want to read my books on. 6 if I count my laptop too. DRM removal is a requirement for me. Add to that that secure mobipocket is less and less supported...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #94
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
> How will they know you removed the DRM from a book,
> if you're the only one that sees that book?

They are unlikely to be able to sue but they can suppress ability to remove DRM.

To remove the DRM, great majority of us will first need to find tools to do that. Not only is it illegal to remove DRM, it is illegal to write, distribute and in some places "discuss" tools for DRM removal - http://www.zeropaid.com/news/86758/f...ing-about-drm/

Maybe Dr. Drib the Moderator, can comment on this: when someone posts links to DRM removal tools on this here forum, how long on average will these links survive?
All it takes is Googling "remove <DRM_format> DRM" and you'll quickly find the links or information you need. And MobileRead (tacitly?) permits discussions of DRM removal so I don't think anyone would have much trouble learning to liberate their ebooks.

I can't foresee a time when the authorities/publishers have the means or interest in punishing individuals who remove DRM for personal use, so DRM is a bit of a non-issue for me these days.

Back on-topic: I think it is marvellous news that Sony will be selling ePub and I will surely be buying from them once again (even if I have to jump through hoops to get around geographic restrictions). Not long ago I thought ePub would never go anywhere but this news changes everything. It wont be long until ePub support is standard on nearly all e-ink devices and that will make the Sony eBook Store a major competitor to Amazon.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #95
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
To remove the DRM, great majority of us will first need to find tools to do that. Not only is it illegal to remove DRM,
That is untrue (at least in the United States). It is not illegal to remove DRM from content for your own use.

Quote:
it is illegal to write,
That is also untrue (again, in the U.S.). I can write whatever program I want.

Quote:
distribute and in some places "discuss" tools for DRM removal
Now, that is correct.

I can write a program to strip the DRM off any content I want and I am 100% legal.

Obviously, it's illegal to distribute that content.
The DMCA makes it illegal for me to send you my DRM removing program.
The DMCA also makes it illegal for me to tell you how to remove DRM.

Which makes me wonder how the DMCA is not declared unconstitutional.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Very cool! Another reason to get the sony.. I think I'll be moving either to Apple tablet or a new Sony reader. Both choices looking good, if the Apple tablet does come out though, you know the DRM will be v tight.
If there is an Apple Tablet, the odds are that it won't have ADE on board.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #97
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
At the risk of repeating myself, the geographical restrictions can be easily bypassed simply by putting a different country of residence.
Yes it is possible, not there are some hurdles to overcome. I used the Sony Reader from Canada for a full year before they opened a ebookstore here. I ordered Reader from New York, and created an account with a Gmail email address, which doesn't betray your location. However, I did have to use gift certificates bought from the States, as I didn't have a credit card with a US billing address. So it you don't have a way to get the gift certificates from a county which Sony is present in, it can be tricky. Lucklily mine lasted me until Sony opened for business in Canada.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #98
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
As a PRS-500 owner, if they start selling ebooks only in ePub format and they don't release a firmware update for PRS-500, that's it for me. I am not buying any other Sony reader. It's been only three years since I bought mine; who is going to guarantee that, if I buy the new PRS-600, this won't happen again? If Sony doesn't care about their old customers, I won't buy from them again, it's that simple.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #99
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't feel like reading the whole thread now, so I'm probably repeating this, but I find it unlikely that the new devices won't be able to read LRF/LRX, especially since this is supposed to be enacted later in the year.

How different will the ePub books look? I like my books fully justified and I've heard some complaints about the page numbers on ePub.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #100
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
As a PRS-500 owner, if they start selling ebooks only in ePub format and they don't release a firmware update for PRS-500, that's it for me. I am not buying any other Sony reader. It's been only three years since I bought mine; who is going to guarantee that, if I buy the new PRS-600, this won't happen again? If Sony doesn't care about their old customers, I won't buy from them again, it's that simple.
... are you saying... that somehow Sony switching exclusively to ePub is not a sure-fire sign of guaranteed victory of Good over Evil in the coming Apocalypse?

I suggest wearing fire-retardent shorts for the rest of this thread.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #101
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I don't feel like reading the whole thread now, so I'm probably repeating this, but I find it unlikely that the new devices won't be able to read LRF/LRX, especially since this is supposed to be enacted later in the year.

How different will the ePub books look? I like my books fully justified and I've heard some complaints about the page numbers on ePub.
I suspect that unless they stop using Adobe's software... and develop their own, ePubs will probably continue looking as well-nigh unreadable as they do today.

- Ahi
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #102
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I suspect that unless they stop using Adobe's software... and develop their own, ePubs will probably continue looking as well-nigh unreadable as they do today.

- Ahi
Well that sucks
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #103
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I need to do some "research" as well.... <never mind>

Thanks to the kind soul willing to assist me in my research!!

Last edited by purl4peace; 08-13-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Got my answer. Thanks!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #104
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well that sucks
Well, in fairness I could be wrong.

Also, I'm sure in a few more minutes the posts will start flooding in telling you that irrelevant page numbers displayed in the (therefore wasted) margin is not so bad, and that ePub in fact looks better than anything else out there because you can include your own fonts.

- Ahi
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #105
anappo
Enthusiast
anappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
> so DRM is a bit of a non-issue for me these days.

Maybe it shouldn't be, because this:

> I don't think anyone would have much trouble learning to
> liberate their ebooks.

reminds me of an old joke comparison of OS-s and airlines - http://nedmartin.org/amused/os-airlines

Specifically this part:

Linux Airline
Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, “You had to do what with the seat?”

There are indeed very neat DRM-removal HowTo's on the net. But for a normal new to the field, non-propellerhead person who is mildly interested in e-books, it'll be: "you had to do -what- with a Python script?!"

The highest number for Linux desktop market share I've seen was 4% The only number Ive seen on e-book market share was 0.67% (US - only).
anappo is offline   Reply With Quote